Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lems shoes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Lems shoes on 05/04/2013 10:39:36 MDT Print View

Does anyone know anything about these shoes and company?

http://www.lemsshoes.com

jl;'

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Lems shoes on 05/04/2013 10:46:56 MDT Print View

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'll guess no size 15s.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Lems Shoes on 05/04/2013 11:19:16 MDT Print View

These were originally Stem Shoes, for some reason they changed names. I believe there are reviews floating around under the old brand name.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Lems shoes on 05/04/2013 14:37:22 MDT Print View

I have had a pair for about six months and absolutely love them. Just remember to take out the stupid optional insole. I use them for day to day wear and short hikes, when it is too cold for sandals. They are about to bring out a boot.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Lems shoes on 05/04/2013 16:16:46 MDT Print View

Not impressed by the tread on the sole. Wonder what the rubber is like?

Otherwise - out of any of a hundred different Asian shoes factories. Nothing new.

Cheers

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Lems shoes on 05/04/2013 17:13:45 MDT Print View

Not impressed by the tread on the sole. Wonder what the rubber is like?

Tread is not great. No good for wet conditions. Rubber is hard wearing.

Nothing new? Maybe not, but they cover all the bases for a good minimalist shoe.

- Zero drop.
- 424 g for a pair.
- very natural foot shaped last. Best I have found outside the Conker shoes I have been wearing since the early 1980s.
- Sole is completely flexible along its whole length and width.
- Look reasonably stylish.
- Hard wearing and long lasting (so far).

Best for day to day wear or dry weather hiking for people who like a very minimal shoe.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Lems shoes on 05/05/2013 12:01:03 MDT Print View

"very natural foot shaped last. Best I have found outside the Conker shoes I have been wearing since the early 1980s."

I just purchased a pare of Merrell Access 2 Barefoot shoes from REI. They also cover all the bases for a good minimalist shoe The pair weighs 380 g.

Merrell has an entire category of "barefoot" shoes, all with zero heel drop. The tread of the Access 2 is not good for wet trail use however they have different treads on other barefoot shoe. I have been wearing the Access 2 for about 4 weeks now at work and during my weekend exercise walks (with 20 lb backpack about 20 miles so far))in the local parks and so far there has been no significant wear on the sol.

IN my case I need zero drop soles due to chronic arch and heal issues and the Merrel appears to be a good choice for my day to day needs. I am still looking for a good barefoot class hiking boot The Merrell Barefoot shoes are worth looking into.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Lems shoes on 05/05/2013 15:03:29 MDT Print View

I just purchased a pare of Merrell Access 2 Barefoot shoes from REI. They also cover all the bases for a good minimalist shoe The pair weighs 380 g.

Well done you - just kidiing:). I realise there's lots and lots of options out there now. I was just saying these are the best I had found AND worn. When I got them there were very few barefoot shoes for me to look at here in New Zealand and I had to get the Lems mail order. I was also looking for something without the "electric spaceman" look favoured by most of the running companies.

We have some of the Merrell and New Balance range available in New Zealand now. However, they are pretty pricey (USD 169 for the Access 2s), so even with shipping costs the Lems are still good value for me.

I use Inov-8 295s for backpacking trips and can't see myself going much more minimal than that at the moment for the conditions I hike in.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Lems shoes on 10/10/2013 17:11:20 MDT Print View

Anyone have any experience with their Boulder boots? http://www.lemsshoes.com/Mens-Boulder-Boot-Brown_p_87.html

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 10/10/2013 17:12:03 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Lems shoes on 10/10/2013 18:03:00 MDT Print View

Not sure if you have seen this?

http://www.toesalad.com/reviews/review-lems-boulder-boot/

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Lems shoes on 10/10/2013 23:42:12 MDT Print View

Yep, found that review after I posted. I also use 295s, just looking for something a little more sturdy and minimal with a wide toe box for trail maintenance.

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 10/10/2013 23:45:06 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: Lems shoes on 10/11/2013 01:35:31 MDT Print View

They are fashion boots. Cotton lined.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Lems shoes on 10/11/2013 21:20:18 MDT Print View

" I was also looking for something without the "electric spaceman" look favoured by most of the running companies."

What, you don't want to look like Bowie in space...? (cue my favorite New Zealanders)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zV4pJ8MwM

Edited by ArcturusBear on 10/11/2013 21:23:05 MDT.