November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Finishing/reinforcing seams on a pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: seams on pack on 05/07/2013 20:07:06 MDT Print View

David said: Most seams are overbuilt on commercial packs. They can be a bear to patch if damaged (by say a bear) and you need to take out a seam in the process of repair.

You can say that again!

Samuel said: It's too bad we don't have accepted seam definitions with diagrams to work with on this site.

Wwwweeeeelllll ... if the "BPL Community" had put enough effort into the WIKI to keep it alive then we'd have such a place. But we didn't.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: seams on pack on 05/07/2013 20:15:48 MDT Print View

"It's too bad we don't have accepted seam definitions with diagrams to work with on this site"

I agree. I don't think there's 100% consistent definitions anywhere has some good description under "projects"

French Seam

Under basic seams it describes simple seam and what he calls "felled seam" but is more commonly called "flat felled seam"

Those are about the only seams you need

You can do a flat felled seam with just one fold, leaving raw edges exposed, if you want it not so thick in case several seams overlap and it's difficult to sew through all of them. I forget what that's called.

David Scheidt
(dscheidt) - F
seam classifications on 05/07/2013 21:23:33 MDT Print View

I've posted this before:

But there's a problem: getting people to agree to use the same language. No one says 'an LSc seam', they'll call it a felled seam or a lapped seam.

(Joomy) - M
Re: seams on pack on 05/08/2013 19:43:28 MDT Print View

Samuel: "Don't know what a 'basic flat seam' is"

Yeah I don't really know what to call it either I guess. I just mean the easiest type of seam where you put the two pieces of fabric wrong side out and sew with a seam allowance, and then invert the seam to finish. My whole pack is sewn this way with Rasant 75 thread. I don't really mind about more or less needle holes since the seam grip should take care of those.

Edit: on Thru-hiker they just call it a "simple seam"

What sort of seams does your current project have?

Edited by Joomy on 05/08/2013 19:45:31 MDT.

Sam Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
seams on 05/09/2013 22:33:21 MDT Print View

"Wwwweeeeelllll ... if the "BPL Community" had put enough effort into the WIKI to keep it alive then we'd have such a place. But we didn't."

A bit of blaming the victims, perhaps?

BTW, when the WIKI started, I couldn't get into it, put time into making inquiries (have you ever tried to contact BPL on this site?-reminds me of the IT people at work), and got no comprehensible or workable answer.

Jeremy, now I think I know what you meant by 'basic flat seam,' but still not sure, because what you describe would be anything but flat, unless you rolled it over at stitched it down. But that probably makes no sense to most readers, either; which is why we need a simple standard reference.

I've put diagrams up before, but a few months later have seen the same confusion repeated on new threads. When I get time, I'll do up a set of diagrams with their common names, put it in a small jpeg form, and just keep posting it until rockets start coming into the back yard. In the meantime, it's hiking season, and getting out there is priority one. The bugs are just starting up and should peak in a few weeks, but I'd rather spend indoor time during bug peak modding a tent down to lighter weight to use this summer.

Edited by scfhome on 05/09/2013 22:35:50 MDT.