Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » CA Snowpack: 17%

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/02/2013 14:23:43 MDT Print View

"The man in charge of surveying California's snowpack to measure the amount of water that will flow into storage reservoirs over the next few months had bad news Thursday.
"I'm finding nothing. Seriously, there is no snow on the course at all," said Frank Gehrke, chief surveyor for the Department of Water Resources.
The survey showed the water content of what little snowpack does remain at 17 percent of normal, an ominous situation for a state that depends on a steady stream of snowmelt to replenish reservoirs throughout the summer."

CA Snowpack report

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/02/2013 14:38:21 MDT Print View

I wonder just how much impact the poor snowpack will have on backpackers in California. We already knew that the summer season was coming early, and it would be dry. Finding water sources along the trail may become the new hobby.

Maybe I should try to fabricate a divining rod out of carbon fiber tubing. How about a solar powered water well pump?

--B.G.--

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Big Fire Year on 05/02/2013 15:00:17 MDT Print View

If I were thru hiking I would be turning the jets on before the fire season starts closing sections of trail. I was incredibly lucky in 2011 and had no fire closures to deal with. I guess there was one benefit of a high snow year. I have read in a few journals that SoCal water sources are few and far between. Not sure if its normal few and far between or abnormal.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/02/2013 15:06:44 MDT Print View

Looks like there will probably be a lot fewer people on the trails. That is the bright side.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Big Fire Year on 05/02/2013 15:20:07 MDT Print View

They actually close trails during fire season?

Jason Torres
(burytherails) - F

Locale: Texas
CA Snowpack on 05/02/2013 15:22:38 MDT Print View

Native rain dance...just saying. It worked in Colorado

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Big Fire Year on 05/02/2013 15:31:44 MDT Print View

"They actually close trails during fire season?"

When there is a lot less water, also meaning more strict stove regulations and no campfires, campsite and trail use drops way down. People stay at home or do something else for vacation.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Big Fire Year on 05/02/2013 15:53:41 MDT Print View

"They actually close trails during fire season?"

Two years ago about 10 miles of PCT North of Mt Hood was closed because there was a fire

There have been similar closures around Three Sisters

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/02/2013 17:33:01 MDT Print View

In my neck of the woods (Southern/Central Coast CA), everything is MUCH drier than it would normally be this time of year. Some of our normally perennial streams are already just about dried up; some never really got going again after having drought conditions last year too. Most of the seasonal creeks are already done or are reduced just to a trickle. My local hiking season is over; it's already too dry and hot back there.

We have seen full scale forest closures before. Usually at some point halfway through summer, the District Ranger will prohibit all fires (stoves, campfires, etc.) throughout our local NF but otherwise the areas are still at least open for use. If we get a bad fire in the region though, like we did with the Zaca Fire in 2007, the District ranger has actually taken the extreme step of officially closing the entire forest for the remainder of the summer until temps cool down.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/02/2013 19:49:05 MDT Print View

"Looks like there will probably be a lot fewer people on the trails. That is the bright side."

From what I'm hearing record number of PCT hikers

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/02/2013 22:26:28 MDT Print View

Does this mean less mosquitoes?

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Mystery links between PCT hiker and mosquito populations? on 05/02/2013 23:42:58 MDT Print View

"From what I'm hearing record number of PCT hikers"

"Does this mean less mosquitoes?"

Hmmm, more PCT hikers means less mosquitoes? How could that work?

More PCT hikers, slapping more mosquitoes, means fewer mosquitoes?

More PCT hikers, drinking more water, dries up remaining water sources, means fewer mosquitoes?

More PCT hikers, cooking more meals, fry more flying mosquitoes?

More PCT hikers, wearing more mosquito repellent, means fewer mosquitoes?

Of course, most of these effects will be local, and might drive mosquitoes to other areas.

Time to move near the PCT and become a trail angel!

-- Rex

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Mystery links between PCT hiker and mosquito populations? on 05/03/2013 02:55:11 MDT Print View

No, I mean will the low snowpack result in less mosquitoes?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: CA Snowpack: 17% on 05/03/2013 09:23:57 MDT Print View

Do we have any first hand accounts from the JMT yet this year ?

Karl Keating
(KarlKeating) - MLife
Re: Re: Mystery links between PCT hiker and mosquito populations? on 05/03/2013 20:24:30 MDT Print View

No, you mean "will the low snowpack result in FEWER mosquitoes?"

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Mystery links between PCT hiker and mosquito populations? on 05/04/2013 17:38:37 MDT Print View

"No, I mean will the low snowpack result in less mosquitoes?"

*ka-zing!* ...or whatever the sound sarcasm makes as it just over flies over ones head.

Edited by millonas on 05/04/2013 17:39:50 MDT.

Karl Keating
(KarlKeating) - MLife
Less => Fewer => Lesser on 05/04/2013 19:30:48 MDT Print View

Well, you could get by with "No, I mean will the low snowpack result in LESSER mosquitoes?" if you use "lesser" in the old sense of "less important."

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Mystery links between PCT hiker and mosquito populations? on 05/04/2013 20:30:38 MDT Print View

Sarcasm doesn't work on the internets.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Mystery links between PCT hiker and mosquito populations? on 05/04/2013 20:33:22 MDT Print View

Sure.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
As a PCT thru-hiker about to start...any last minute suggestions ? on 05/05/2013 07:44:42 MDT Print View

Since we are on the subject of very low water -- I'm starting May 19 at the border and going NOBO hoping to do about a 4 month thru.

Never hiked out west - but plenty of east coast longer jaunts. Here is what I've done to try and minimize my risk for dehydration (feedback is much appreciated):

- Assume more filtering and longer carries, so Sawyer squeeze and 5 L capacity (including dirty bladder)
- Guthook PCT app plus Halfmile PCT app and PCTHYOH app with updating water reports on my Ipod Touch w/ GPS.
- Early morning hiking to avoid heat of the day, mid-day naps.
- DEBATING leaving my alcohol stove at home now (do to possible fire bans) and just starting stoveless (don't really want the weight of a Jetboil.
- Electrolyte tablets thoughout the day for heat / sweat / ion balance.
- CHROME DOME for helping me sweat less (plus a wide-brim Tilley)
- Assuming won't need my microspikes or ice-ax for the Sierra's.

ANYTHING ELSE ??