Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JRB vs. Nunatak
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
JRB vs. Nunatak on 05/02/2013 11:33:54 MDT Print View

I'm in the market for a two-person quilt and have it narrowed down to either the Nunatak Backcountry Blanket or the Jacks R Better Katahdin Quilt. Has anyone used either or both of these quilts as a two-person sleep system down to ~20 degrees F or a little below? We're looking for something that will comfortably take us through shoulder season in northern climates.

If I go with the JRB I'll purchase the Quilt Wings as well, and if I go with Nunatak I'll probably ask for a few extra inches of width for better tuckability, and the overstuff he recommends for those using it as a couple's quilt.

From what I can tell, JRB's "Draft Stopper" option is just an extra strip of omni tape at the collar so you can attach two hoods, whereas Nunatak makes a "Draft Tonsil" that attaches between the two sleepers--correct?

The JRB seems like a crazy bargain, with baffle height listed at 3" (vs 2.5" on the BCB), and $330 for 900 fp down. Can anyone speak to the respective build quality of each of these quilts? Quality of the insulation, the shell, etc? Customer service? What if anything will make the Nunatak worth the extra cash?

Kevin Manley
(manleyk) - F - MLife

Locale: Denver-ish
Another option on 05/03/2013 09:51:56 MDT Print View

This is not a direct answer to your question, but Tim at Enlightened Equipment made a 70" wide quilt for me and my gf that works well down to 20F. It was cheaper than either of the two you mention, but it doesn't have a hood or tonsil. The quality is great.

I haven't tried either of the two you mention.

Kevin

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: JRB vs. Nunatak on 05/03/2013 15:30:20 MDT Print View

I have two Nunatak and one JRB quilts. Of the two companies, I'd give a nod to Nunatak, but it's a matter of degree.

If cost is important, the offerings from Enlightened Equipment seem like a great bargain, although I have no direct experience with them.

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
Re: on 05/03/2013 17:29:29 MDT Print View

I have an EE quilt for summer use. For the price, it is fantastic. The RevX fabric does seem to shed a lot of down, though, which makes me hesitant to buy another, especially for use in colder weather. It seems like the 2013 models address the other design issues (funky pad straps i never figured out how to use, too-big baffles that leave a lot of space for down to shift), but I will keep it on the list since the this years version seems to be getting great reviews.

The biggest appeal of the Jacks R Better is that it opens to a fully rectangular quilt instead of tapering...

Edward Barton
(edwardalbarton) - F
re: couple quilts on 11/21/2013 17:23:41 MST Print View

Kate, what did you end up going with and have you tried it yet? I'm in the market for something like this too and I'm interested in others' experiences...