Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Hemming a patagonia merino shirt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Hemming a patagonia merino shirt on 05/01/2013 20:57:41 MDT Print View

I have a Patagonia Merino 2 short sleeve shirt. I want to reduce the sleeve length by 1 to 1.5 inches. Any suggestions for how to do this? I have a decent sewing machine but I have only sewed a couple of stuff sacks.

I assume I could cut off the hemmed sleeve by about an inch, but then what? Do I fold the edge of the sleeve back half an inch and then sew it? What stitch should I use?

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Hemming a patagonia merino shirt on 05/01/2013 21:22:01 MDT Print View

Mark the end you want for the sleeve - mark it all the way around. Make a second line at least one inch beyond the first. Fold or roll the excess under (inside the sleeve) and pin it. The sleeve end marked line should now be at the end of the sleeve. You can finish it by hand wit a whip stitch, or by machine with a straight stitch. Especially with the second option, try to keep the stitching line near the inside edge of the hem.

I have now showed you the, *ahem* , Hemming Way! (Groan!)

Philip Marshall
(philthy) - MLife
rolled hem on 05/01/2013 23:03:55 MDT Print View

I would do a simple rolled hem so there is no exposed cut surface - see http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/diy-guides/sewing-skills/

Matthew Pullan
(Skyaddict) - F

Locale: Steiermark
Stitching jersey material on 05/02/2013 00:20:32 MDT Print View

Most modern zigzag sewing machines have special stretchy sitches for hemming wool and other stretch jersey materials. If you have a manual it should have a few suggestions. I recently converted a merino long sleeve into a tshirt and the fancy stitch worked great. My Bernina manual recommends a basic zigzag for jersey material, but there are many other stitches that will do a fine job. That being said, a straight stitch is fine as well.
Matt