Forum Index » GEAR » Pack suggestion for the wife

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Pack suggestion for the wife on 05/01/2013 20:18:12 MDT Print View

Need a pack suggestion for my wife. Work has fried my brain today and she wanted some ideas tonight. It will be used for 1-3 day trips. Base weight is no more than 10-11 lbs, total weight is no more than 23-24 lbs. No frameless packs. The ULA Ohm is one I thought of. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Possible thoughts on 05/01/2013 20:24:26 MDT Print View

Your definition of "frameless" may come into play here, but I think these carry similarly to the OHM.

- HMG Windrider 2400 or 3400
- ZPacks Arc Blast
- Gossamer Gear Gorilla or Mariposa
- Gregory Z55 (heavier but still a solid pack)
- Deuter ACT Lite 45+10 (again heavier but solid)

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Pack suggestion for the wife on 05/01/2013 20:26:02 MDT Print View

Got my wife an Osprey Exos that she likes quite a bit.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Girl packs... on 05/01/2013 20:30:34 MDT Print View

I did not at all like how my exos carried, as much as I wanted to like it. I tried to sell it to a few female friends, all of whom had the same problem with the shoulder straps as I did.

I have a Gorilla and really, really like how it fits and how it carries.
I just bought a circuit for bigger hikes with bear cans, and so far I like it quite a bit, too.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Girl packs... on 05/01/2013 22:19:22 MDT Print View

I love my exos but my Gf did not like how it felt either. She has been looking at the Granite gear Crown VC Ki (ki is the womens version)

Anna T
(anzt)

Locale: Victoria, Australia
Packs on 05/01/2013 22:33:43 MDT Print View

Speaking only from personal experience, I like both my Deuter Futura SL (34L) and my Exped Backcountry 55 (waterproof!). I have quite a short back length and like almost all weight being transferred to my hips. Good luck!

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
Granite Gear, Gregory, Lowe Alpine on 05/02/2013 07:59:13 MDT Print View

Slightly heavy at ~3 lbs, but both the Lowe Alpine Nanon and the Gregory Jade 50 could be good options. I have found that Gregory women's packs fit better than Osprey women's packs, and are overall a better value. I haven't used the Nanon personally, but it's a nice simple pack and I've met several women who carry it and like it.

I carried a Gregory women's pack for a number of years before switching to a Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet. I think both the Prophet and the Arc are incredibly comfortable packs. Strap placement, hip belt, torso length, everything about it feels almost custom made for me. For reference, I'm 5'5" and 115# and reliably wear a short torso/small waistbelt. I know you mentioned frameless, but the MLD packs were comfortable enough to convert me (that, and a sub-10lb baseweight).

I "test drove" a GG Crown VC Ki not too long ago and I am pretty in love with it. Super cushy after several years with my MLD pack, but I think it will be the perfect pack for winter trips and casual trips where I'm carrying 6-packs, Tolstoy novels, etc...

As has been said many times before, go to a good gear shop if you can and have her try on lots of packs, with weights in them, and walk around until she gets a feel for what works and what doesn't.