Forum Index » GEAR » Easton 6" Full Metal Jacket Stakes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Easton 6" Full Metal Jacket Stakes on 05/01/2013 17:32:13 MDT Print View

Any friends have experience with these stakes? A set of (6) ways 1.2oz--They seam a little pricey but I might just pull the trigger to save a OZ. Are the durable?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Easton 6" Full Metal Jacket Stakes on 05/01/2013 18:52:31 MDT Print View

Jay,

Not to steer you away from carbon, but have you looked at the SMD L Stake? .3 oz/stake, so a total of 1.8 oz for 6 stakes. Biggest difference is the price: six stakes would be $8.40 plus shipping. I'm planning to pick some up soon, as SMD is only a few miles from my house (whenever they have their open house for the new space). These will replace my older Easton stakes, so I'll have a combination of Ti hooks and the SMDs.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Easton 6" Full Metal Stakes on 05/01/2013 19:17:29 MDT Print View

Steven, I too use a combo of stakes: 2 MSR groundhogs for ridge-lines and the old school Hi-Vis BPL stakes. I also just got some new Vargo Orange Heads which I like also. I think I would use the Easton's for my tarp sides and not the ridgeline. I will check out the SMD stakes. Thanks!

Nathan Coleman
(RockChucker30) - F - M
Easton 6" Full Metal Jacket Stakes on 05/02/2013 06:54:36 MDT Print View

The stakes look like they are sections of Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows cut and then with inserts glued in.

I can vouch for the arrows. I've been shooting these since 2008 and they are the toughest I've ever used.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Easton 6" Full Metal Jacket Stakes on 05/02/2013 08:13:45 MDT Print View

Define "durable".

If the tips are solid I'd guess they will be OK.

If the tips are hollow-formed you will need to exercise a little care.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Easton 6" Full Metal Stakes on 05/02/2013 13:47:44 MDT Print View

Nice link Greg. Durable meaning tough and being able to with stand the Sierras and the Granite plus being pounded in by Granite rocks over and over again. I like the simple Ti stakes but just checking if these Eastons will be durable over the long run? It seems like they could possibly shatter in time.