Forum Index » GEAR » Most reliable and field serviceable gasoline stove?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: XGK dual use on 05/03/2013 16:33:04 MDT Print View

"It is reportedly dual use as well: it can be used to hammer tent stakes in."

It is totally unsatisfactory when used to hammer railroad spikes in. I should take mine back to REI to get a refund.

I saw one guy try to use a full aluminum Sigg fuel bottle to hammer in a tent stake. You can just imagine how that ended up.

--B.G.--

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
Pressure cooker? on 05/03/2013 16:57:01 MDT Print View

Victor,
I wish you'd mentioned you use a large pressure cooker from the beginning!
It doubles my recommendation of an MSR XGK.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Just tried my OmniLite - not able to keep my pressure cooker at pressure on 05/03/2013 17:10:30 MDT Print View

8500BTU is a LOT of heat. As I said, octane boosters in auto gas slow the burning down. In a car, this prevents "knocking" from predetonation. In a stove, this means it burns slower. It probably was not up to spec with auto-gas. I believe the Muka will have the same problem, but less noticable because of the initial power.

Victor Lin
(babybunny) - F
Re: Pressure cooker? on 05/03/2013 18:36:58 MDT Print View

It's not a very large pressure cooked - it's tiny in fact when you consider that I can only use about half of the 2.7L volume for cooking.

However, I didn't think that it would be a problem. And pressure cookers still need to simmer. I can't have an XGK on full blast - it's good for getting it up to pressure, but once at pressure the heat must be turned down to a semi simmer. The Soto Muka was barely able to do it.

Victor Lin
(babybunny) - F
Re: Re: Just tried my OmniLite - not able to keep my pressure cooker at pressure on 05/03/2013 18:52:07 MDT Print View

The Muka was completely unfazed with auto gas. I really like the high output of the Muka and the easy lighting. It would be fine in a tent vestibule because the initial flame during priming isn't 1-2 feet high like the OmniLite's. But I hate that it clogged already from grit, there's no way to maintain / repair it in the field, and some critical parts require complete replacement as part of the natural life of the stove.

Another thing that I didn't like about the OmniLite was that I couldn't get it to light with a firestarter and a knife, the kind that makes lots of sparks. No matter when I did the fuel just wouldn't light. I had to get a match and actually hold the fire up to the OmniLite to prime it. It appears if I'm out in the bush I first have to use my firestarted to get an actual flame going before this stove can work. That's a fantastic thing to think about when it's wet out. I had no problem lighting the Muka with my sparker.

The stove legs could be a lot more sturdy too. They flex quite a bit if the cooking vessel is twisted on top of the stove. The Soto Muka legs are superior in every single way - they rotate into a much more compact, symmetrical package. They are very sturdy and have no issues with heavy pots and twisting. They are just as wide as the OmniLite legs, and they are also close enough as to allow boiling water in small metal cups.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Gas stove with pressure cooker. on 05/04/2013 08:18:50 MDT Print View

Victor, from figures I found online:
typical kitchen stove burner: 7000 BTU/hour ('monster burner'=12000 BTU/hour)
So by the specs your OmniLite should put out more power than a typical kitchen stove.
This should be more than enough to bring a pressure cooker to pressure.

PS I'm pretty sure the Hawkins Classic Pressure Cookers, aluminum, in 1.5L and 2L sizes are lighter than the GSI. If you're interested I can weigh my 1.5L and 2L. I love these things.
http://www.amazon.com/Hawkins-Classic-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B002MPQH5S/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367676947&sr=1-1&keywords=hawkins+pressure+cooker+3L

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Pressure Cookers on 05/04/2013 08:31:09 MDT Print View

I'd be interested in those weights.

Victor Lin
(babybunny) - F
Re: Gas stove with pressure cooker. on 05/04/2013 08:39:12 MDT Print View

I'd love to see those weights as well. I thought GSI was the only one that made small pressure cookers. I think 2.7L is perfect though - anything less and it's strictly a one-person cooking vessel.

The GSI may be defective. I'm not sure. I actually don't have a household stove top to check it with.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Just tried my OmniLite - not able to keep my pressure cooker at pressure on 05/05/2013 19:10:48 MDT Print View

The Muka was completely unfazed with auto gas.
It's one of the few. Do note however that you'll have to replace the generator sooner if you use automotive gasoline.

...the initial flame during priming isn't 1-2 feet high like the OmniLite's.
Try priming with alcohol. It's much easier to control the amount, you don't get anywhere near the amount of soot, and the flame is much smaller.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Hawkins pressure cooker weight. on 05/06/2013 21:13:46 MDT Print View

1.5 liter Hawkins Classic pressure cooker = 930 grams = 2 lb 0.8 oz.
I'll have to dig out my 2L to weigh it, but it is only a little heavier.
There are non-structural plastic handles that could be removed that would save a few ounces, but you might need to gloves if the handles get hot. I think if you attacked the metal parts carefully with a grinder or file you might save a little more weight before compromising the structural integrity.
I've never had the Hawkins 3L.

You can sometimes find these in Indian grocery stores. Some of the other brands just don't seem to work as well. Hawkins also makes stainless steel cookers (heavier) of the same design and the Futura, hard anodized aluminum with a thick base (heavier). You want the 'Classic' aluminum. For home use, I've had Presto pressure cookers and another design similar to the GSI and I just like these Hawkins pressure cookers better. I use them frequently at home.

If you ever come across a 1 liter aluminum pressure cooker try to weigh it. I've seen, and lost, a reference to a 1 lb cooker which would be wonderful for me.

The standard is to fill the pressure cooker 2/3 full, so the 1.5 liter will actually cook about 1 liter of volume which should work for 2 people. If you're careful you can go a little fuller than 2/3.