Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Tehipite Valley

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Tehipite Valley on 05/05/2013 16:41:14 MDT Print View

Has anyone climbed Tehipite Dome? There is supposed to be a fairly easy class 2/3 route on the back side. I am really tempted to do that some day. The only thing holding me back is acrophobia.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Tehipite Valley on 05/05/2013 16:47:04 MDT Print View

Dome

Blue Canyon

Frank T
(random_walk) - M
Fire Damage in Tehipte? on 09/20/2013 14:21:24 MDT Print View

Hi, thanks for the great trip report. I've been down to "old Tehip" (as my dad called it when he first took me there) several times. It's my all-time favorite place to go.

I was wondering if there was any significant damage still visible from a fire there back in 2008?

FYI the last time we went, we met rangers who said they were harassed by bears every night they were camped there. They joked (I think) that it was the place where Yosemite sends its trouble bears into exile by helicopter. But we stayed 3 nights and only ever saw one set of tracks. Saw several rattlesnakes, though. And trout, oh yes.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Fire Damage in Tehipte? on 09/20/2013 14:25:39 MDT Print View

Frank, I don't remember seeing any fire damage, but we didn't go very far past the switchbacks down into the canyon. It was very overgrown there, moreso than usual for that elevation, so it might have burned 5-10 years ago.