Forum Index » GEAR » Sun Hats - Full Brim vs Ball cap with neck cape/bandana

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: OR Sombriolet on 05/01/2013 06:49:55 MDT Print View

The Sombriolet brim is longer, 10.5cm, in the back than it is in the front and sides, both 8cm. The outer edge is wired to maintain shape but the fabric itself is crushable. My size L weighs 85g.

I also have a GoreTex version of the same hat OR calls the Coastal Sombrero, but it wears HOT so is only worn a few times a year.

My fav hat is a Tilley LTM8, but I don't wear it trekking since it does not store in a pack easily.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sun Hats - Full Brim vs Ball cap with neck cape/bandana on 05/01/2013 08:18:30 MDT Print View

There was a thread where we discussed adding a bandana under or over a ball cap, so that is one way to test that design.

The ball cap variations are light, compact and usually less expensive. Wide brimmed hats with a vented crown will give more cooling, like hauling your own shade. The Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat does it all and are quite light. The neck cape works well with a backpack sticking up behind. Ugly enough to be first level birth control, but effective :)

I keep forgetting the Kavu Chilba, which can double as a rain hat. Surpassed only by the Sunday Afternoons hat for quirky good looks ;)

Kavu Chilba hat

A GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella is a option too, cooling your whole upper body, good for rain and a partial shield for one end of a tarp.

Edited by dwambaugh on 05/01/2013 10:32:57 MDT.

Joel Benford
(Morte66)

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England
Re: Re: Sun Hats - Full Brim vs Ball cap with neck cape/bandana on 05/01/2013 12:48:12 MDT Print View

The Kavu Chilba comes with the warning "Do not leave in direct sun or a hot car = foam melts when hot."

That is... a bit of an eyebrow raiser for a sun hat.

Richard Reno
(scubahhh) - M

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.
Plain old wool baseball hat on 05/01/2013 19:15:20 MDT Print View

With a great, absorbent sweat band. Dunk it in a puddle for extra cooling. Once In a while a merino buff for sunburn protection.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
OR sunrunner for me too on 05/01/2013 23:55:19 MDT Print View

I too like the sunrunner, with the French Foreign legion (or Ferengi?) neck flap attached.

A couple of reasons I haven't heard mentioned already:

On a longer trip where one goes into towns for resupply, I like being able to remove the neck flap and turn it into a more conventional looking baseball hat. Yes, I shouldn't concern myself with "looks", but my theory is that if I can clean up a bit and look less like a hobo, I might get treated a little better (?) and perhaps it will be easier to hitch a ride that way. Who knows for sure.

Another advantage over a wide brimmed hat is that a coat or poncho hood fits comfortably over it when there's wind-driven rain (or sleet or snow).

I've logged a lot of miles with my OR sunrunner; I actually bought a second one when the fabric of the first started getting thin/worn enough that I was getting tanned on my bald head under the hat. That took a good deal of miles & time, however, I don't mean to say that durability is a problem in normal use. I'm just saying that after quite a lot of use I'm still a fan.

Oh, one other thing it has over some types of wide-brimmed hat --- it can be put into a mode where you essentially have a chinstrap so that it won't blow off in high wind. In that mode, just the neck flap alone helps a lot when cold wind is blowing by your ears. And then it can be changed to wear it in a more "easy on, easy off" mode.

Edited by brianle on 05/01/2013 23:56:39 MDT.

Ryan Fiske
(palmeredhackle) - F
My 'ethnic' solution on 05/02/2013 00:36:18 MDT Print View

This has been my solution, it's not exactly lightweight, but it's fun and sparks conversations on the trail. This was on the JMT last year.
My Sun Hat Solution

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: OR sunrunner for me too on 05/02/2013 06:56:38 MDT Print View

I ended up ordering both on Amazon last night, and will test them out on this trip. But based on this thread, I'm think that the full brimmed Sobriolet will work best for the desert heat/low wind situations I'll be experiencing on this trip, and the SunRunner will be great for the cooler temps/intense high altitude sun/windy passes and ridge walking on my SEKI hike at the end of July. Plus my black(what was I thinking?) REI ballcap is getting kind of ratty after 4 years and even with sunblock I've gotten kind of burned in the spots where it sweated off the last couple years. The Sunrunner will be great for trail running as well.

Just another case of admitting to myself there isn't one perfect piece of do-it-all gear for every scenario

Don Morris
(hikermor) - F
Sun Hats on 05/02/2013 20:13:26 MDT Print View

In desert conditions, I much prefer a full brimmed "boonie" style hat, preferably of cotton. Soak that puppy every chance you get and enjoy the evaporative cooling. Air circulation is critical.