Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tent for the JMT
Display Avatars Sort By:
matt brisbin
(firestarter01) - F

Locale: Bay Area
re: stakes on 04/30/2013 14:47:12 MDT Print View

I don't mean to hijack this thread but have people found staking down a tent to be problematic along the JMT? I'm making a custom tarp tent and just figured I'd be able to find spots along the way. All the pictures I've seen seem to have plenty of soft ground.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
No on 04/30/2013 16:21:41 MDT Print View

JMT in 2002 and 2012, no problems staking out a TT virga and a MLD tarp/serenity shelter. When I slept just north of Muir pass due to an incoming thunder storm, it was a bit more difficult, but certainly nothing for me to choose an entirely different shelter.

Steve

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Consider a Bargain? on 04/30/2013 16:50:51 MDT Print View

I will be hiking the JMT with a Borah side zip bivy and a tarp, but if taking a tent I'd take my Spitfire 1. With only the necessary 4 stakes and using Needle Stakes the weight is an acceptable (to me) 2 lb 9 oz. Since I don't like trekking poles I would have to consider the weight of the poles in the weight of the tarp tents often recommended. At under $100 it is a good value and I do not expect to ever "outgrow it" for those trips where I want a tent. I actually like it better than a lot of the tents that cost 3 times as much.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Tent for the JMT" on 04/30/2013 19:36:13 MDT Print View

Matt: believe me, there are plenty of rocks everywhere in the Sierra to anchor your stakes, when it comes to that. I mean, within fifteen feet of your intended campsite--at altitude, where this whole scenario comes into play. It's just not a problem. A small mound of three or four stones will hold your stakes as well as plunging them into soft earth. At least, that's my experience. But yes, it might add ten minutes to your pitching time.

I use a Big Agnes tent that requires 10(!) stakes--two versions over 7 years. I've never had a problem staking these tents out in the Sierra.

Edited by book on 04/30/2013 19:43:53 MDT.

matt brisbin
(firestarter01) - F

Locale: Bay Area
rocks on 04/30/2013 20:23:25 MDT Print View

Oh sure. I have no problems with getting creative with some rocks. I just found the original comment at bit odd since staking a tarp doesn't appear to be an issue from the pictures I've seen. That's all :-)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tent for the JMT on 04/30/2013 20:48:08 MDT Print View

When I seam seal tents in my bedroom to me they become 2/4/6/8 brick tents.
The Moment is a two brick tent , that is it stands up with one brick each over the ends, the Notch needs 4.
The Moment is heavier but has its own pole and a larger floor area, the Notch has a smaller floor but larger vestibules.
Both can have the inner (bug net) set up by it self but you get good views ,particularly with the Notch, with the fly on and both sides open.
You can of course use rocks with many shelters but because of the end "triangle' set up it is a lot easier with these two than some .
The guylines on the Notch are not all that fussy about where you put them.
Notch on bricks

Edited by Franco on 04/30/2013 20:49:05 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment SW or DW on 04/30/2013 23:16:04 MDT Print View

I have the original Moment Single Wall and like it -a lot.

BUT... I may sell it to buy a Moment DW when the ripstop inner tent is available later this summer so I can use it in winter with the crossing pole.

The lightest tent I would buy is a SMD Skyscape X of Cuben fabric. And I REALLY wish I could buy a Cuben SW Moment.

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
Tent for the JMT on 05/02/2013 06:58:59 MDT Print View

+1 for the Tarptent Notch. With both vestibules fully open it is almost tarp-like but with that oh-so-sweet full bug protection.
Full Disclosure: I think the MSR Hubba is a nearly perfect tent design, it's just too heavy. The Notch is 90-95% Hubba flavor, 50% less fat.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
Lightheart should do fine in winds on 05/02/2013 07:19:11 MDT Print View

As long as the ridgeline is staked/guyed out securely, the Lighheart is very sturdy. On the inside, the trekking poles don't stand straight up they angle inwards from bottom to top, forming more of an arch or triangle that holds up well structurally.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
LH Gear on 05/02/2013 10:13:21 MDT Print View

I have an LHG cuben solo. I carried it on a PCT thru and a GDMBR thru. It took wind, rain and snow without a single problem and was comfortable for myself and all my gear if I had to wait out weather.

Staking tents on the JMT section was never an issue. Digging cat-holes on the other hand was a memorable PITA.

Cheers

Edited by cfrey.0 on 05/02/2013 10:13:57 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: LH Gear on 05/02/2013 10:19:22 MDT Print View

"Digging cat-holes on the other hand was a memorable PITA.'

Digging cat-holes on either hand sounds awfully painful. They are best on the ground.

--B.G.--

Erica R.
(skrapp138) - M
Re: re: stakes on 05/02/2013 20:57:24 MDT Print View

I'm glad the issue of staking was brought up - I, too, had heard that there are difficult areas along the JMT to stake a tent and was trying to take that into consideration in picking a tent. The rock solution seems like the way to go, and there are no shortage of rocks up there (in the areas where staking may be difficult) - so easy fix!

Erica R.
(skrapp138) - M
Ordered the Lightheart Gear Solo! on 05/03/2013 12:22:39 MDT Print View

So, after seemingly endless debate - I ended up going with the Lightheart Gear Solo. I might have done the SMD Trekker - but they were out of stock and I didn't want to wait - but overall, after watching videos and reading reviews, I think this was definitely the right buy for me! Can't wait to get it and try it out!

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
freestanding on 05/03/2013 16:31:14 MDT Print View

An unguyed, unstaked "freestanding" tent is frequently called a box kite.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: freestanding on 05/03/2013 17:22:33 MDT Print View

Not if you are in the damn thing.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: freestanding on 05/03/2013 17:24:11 MDT Print View

But then you can never leave.....

Craig .
(zipper) - F

Locale: LOST, but making good time
Re: Re: Re: freestanding on 05/03/2013 19:17:50 MDT Print View

Welcome to the Hotel California

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: freestanding on 05/03/2013 19:41:40 MDT Print View

Such a lonely place

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: freestanding on 05/03/2013 20:44:01 MDT Print View

Tee Hee

Edited by FamilyGuy on 05/03/2013 22:43:35 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: freestanding on 05/03/2013 20:46:10 MDT Print View

"An unguyed, unstaked "freestanding" tent is frequently called a box kite."

An unguyed, unstaked "nonfreestanding" tent is frequently called a bivy.