Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
Warped by the outdoors?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Warped by the outdoors? on 04/29/2013 09:00:48 MDT Print View

I've found that my perspective of the world is somewhat warped (when compared to the mainstream) by my love of being outside and discovering new areas.

Examples:

I see an item in my budget where I can save $1200 a year. First thought, "Hmmm... that's a family trip to Yellowstone... every year!"

Things that should go to the recycle bin or garbage are thoroughly inspected for further use in my kit. Cup o Noodles cups become my coffee cup; cylinder shaped chewing gum container is transformed into a pocket fishing kit.

Within minutes of being notified that I need to leave on a business trip, I start googling trails and hiking destinations in that area.

The thought of going on a cruise has much appeal (to me) as going to sea prison. I’d rather jump out of a moving vehicle than go to the mall.

I'm constantly looking at my house and trying to figure out how to reduce clutter and maximize utility. While some people are trying to fill their closets with clothes, I'm trying to figure out how to reduce its size and have just the right amount (I call it my Fight Club wardrobe.)

I suspect that I'm the only person in my zip code who spends their free time on the patio with a stopwatch and thermometer boiling water.

What quirks have you noticed about yourself as an outdoorsman/woman?

.nature

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 04/29/2013 09:08:22 MDT Print View

I've morphed into wearing my hiking clothes to work. Granted, I haven't gone all the way to zip offs, but give me some time.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Weight on 04/29/2013 09:18:17 MDT Print View

It is rare for me to not look at the weight of something before I buy it. This applies to everything from socks to cars.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Warped by Civilization. on 04/29/2013 09:27:27 MDT Print View

I think you've got it backwards, friend. You're not warped, you're healing.

This entire culture is warped, sick, and even sadistic, and those of us that regularly spend time outdoors happen to have found a slice of sanity and peace.

Sorry, but the desire to wake up before 5AM so I can surf at sunrise before work, have a little time and beauty to myself, remember why I am happy to be alive...this desire is hardly warped. Forgoing happy hour at TGI Fridays or Hooters with coworkers so I can go trail running or take my children biking is not warped.

Getting caught up mindlessly in the daily grind, spending more time in an office than with your family, endlessly lusting after things instead of experiences and relationships....this is warped.

Life is short.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 04/29/2013 09:37:55 MDT Print View

Jennifer,

After some research and talking with a breeder, we hope to bring home a Golden Retriever puppy by next winter. I’m looking forward to meeting my future hiking buddy!

Dale,

Our local REI isn't the biggest in the world and I get a sense that I may be the only person who asks them to weigh rain jackets, etc on their scale.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Warped by Civilization. on 04/29/2013 09:46:56 MDT Print View

Craig, I couldn't agree more.

On a weekend trip a few weeks ago I was chatting about my desire to do the pct next year. My two companions and I spent some time discussing the "return to real life" and I thought - out loud - why is my job and my overly-priced condo and my bills and parking tickets "real life?" It seems to me spending my days "stressing" about being warm and dry and getting enough to eat and drink is far more "real" than the made up life we've manufactured for ourselves.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Warped by Civilization. on 04/29/2013 09:48:08 MDT Print View

And Ian, sounds awesome!! I also can't wait to meet CharlieDog's new hiking buddy!

This is great, I feel like ill already know people in the PNW before I even get there!!

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
CHEAPER than therapy? on 04/29/2013 09:56:19 MDT Print View

Hahaha, I don't think so.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Warped by Civilization. on 04/29/2013 10:01:11 MDT Print View

Very true Craig. The past 12 years of my life was a blur of starting a new career, moving across the country, supporting my wife while she was in grad school, finishing my undergrad degree, and most importantly, introducing a beautiful son and daughter to the world. While I don't regret the decisions we made, this was a period of my life which was largely spent away from the outdoors and where I focused primarily on establishing financial security for my family. I only spent an average of three to five weekends camping every year with my family.

As my children grow (now 9 and 12) I reflect back to my childhood and think of my most cherished memories. Those memories are of me skiing with my family, waking up in a snow cave with water dripping on me, hiking 50 miles down the Washington coast, etc.

Whether it's car camping at Ohanapecosh, paddling down a lazy river in my kayak with my kids, alpine skiing, throwing on our packs and heading down a trail, or just simply enjoying a picnic dinner with my family at the park, I find myself happiest and most at peace outdoors.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/29/2013 10:04:09 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 05/03/2013 22:41:26 MDT Print View

That I have a dedicated yard to native red huckleberries, huckleberries, alpine low bush blueberries and ummmm...should I really go on? I believe the count this year is over 40 plants. And I get like a handful berries after the 3 year old "Farmer Walker" grazes for weeks :-P

Jon Foro
(fjoro) - MLife

Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 05/05/2013 09:54:04 MDT Print View

"Things that should go to the recycle bin or garbage are thoroughly inspected for further use in my kit."

Or: you buy the gum that comes in the cylinder just because it will make a good pocket fishing kit, whether you chew gum or not.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 05/18/2013 10:21:18 MDT Print View

buy water or soda and throw out the contents - use the bottle for backpacking

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 05/18/2013 20:27:10 MDT Print View

If we go to the "big city" for gear we put batteries in the myWeigh 2600 scale and take it along.

Edited by greg23 on 05/18/2013 20:27:50 MDT.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 05/18/2013 22:03:35 MDT Print View

You made me laugh with this one:

"The thought of going on a cruise has much appeal (to me) as going to sea prison. I’d rather jump out of a moving vehicle than go to the mall."

I also agree with most of what you said.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Warped by the outdoors? on 05/19/2013 19:21:57 MDT Print View

buy water or soda and throw out the contents - use the bottle for backpacking

BUY?
My neighbours leave them on the nature strip* for me or anyone else that cares.

*a grass strip in front of a house between a fence or footpath and a roadway

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Warped by the outdoors? on 05/19/2013 21:44:23 MDT Print View

In my parts we just call that a grass strip in front of a house between a fence or footpath and a roadway.