Forum Index » Mountaineering & Alpinism » Ueli Steck tossed off Everest

Display Avatars Sort By:
Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: re Stereotyping on 05/15/2013 15:18:49 MDT Print View

"Again from all the accounts it looks like there was a mild altercation up high that (pardon the pun) snowballed as people descended the mountain due to the momentum of too many egos."

+1. This is probably the most cogent way of looking at the situation from all the reports that I've read.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Stereotyping on 05/15/2013 16:54:00 MDT Print View

Earlier I said this

"Honestly I don't know what happened. What I don't like is the assumption that the Europeans were guilty because "Europeans are arrogant and Sherpas are mellow." Honestly how is that different then judging someone based on his skin color? If someone posted here and said "OJ Simpson was guilty because he was black" everyone would be justifiably outraged. How is it different to say someone is guilty (without knowing the facts) just because he's European? How does that justify a lynch mob."

Just to clarify I was NOT saying that anyone who thinks the European were at fault is necessarily on the level of a Klansmen. Just wanted to clear that up. But the logic of judging someone with little real info based on who they are is similar.

Its fair to say Sherpas are not known as particularly violent people. So it would be fair to ask what happened to get them so riled. On the other hand the Swiss are not known for inciting riots either so its fair to give them the same benefit of the doubt.

By the way most of these Sherpas work for commercial western guides right? Why couldn't they use there clout as the paycheck writers to make everyone calm down? Was it that out of control or did they not care if an independent team got roughed up?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
We will never know... on 05/15/2013 16:58:40 MDT Print View

Typical news story, and we just suck it up and debate it ad naseum.

Does it really matter? Does it impact our lives directly?

I think the unanswered question (in my mind), "did Bill have sex with Monica is vastly more important."

:)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: We will never know... on 05/15/2013 18:31:18 MDT Print View

"I think the unanswered question (in my mind), "did Bill have sex with Monica is vastly more important.""

Judging from DNA analysis of certains substances on "the dress", that boils down to how you define sex. ;o)