Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 19:28:19 MDT Print View

Me and the boy took a quick trip up North to Yolla Bolly Lake. There was still a lot of snow on trail and the high peaks. Not one mosquito in the area but give it time. The trout fishing was Awesome! We catch and release these trout because we bring plenty of food. My son is always hungry at this age-Always! Here are a few pictures of the trip.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 19:30:14 MDT Print View

Great weather this weekend Jay. Sorry I missed out. Looks great!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 20:02:05 MDT Print View

Glad you're having a good time together Jay. I'll bet taking your kid hiking is a lot of fun.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 20:38:47 MDT Print View

Ken wish you could of made it-not soul in the area. 4 Lake Loop is looking good.

Luke it is great to hike with my son now. He really enjoys it and likes learning BPL 101 basic skills and he is also responsible for collecting all the fire wood.

Thanks,
Jay

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Boys in the woods on 04/28/2013 21:04:14 MDT Print View

Jay I think a lot of boys I've led on trips just see backpacking as an excuse to get their first pocket knife and start their first fire LOL. Unfortunately I don't have any kids of my own to take out (not yet anyway). Unfortunately spending all your free time in the most remote area possible is not condusive to getting married!

What is that area like? I looked into it when I was in CA but heard the snow was too high so I went to Snow Mtn. instead (which I believe was your idea). Anyway I couldn't find much info on it which led me to believe it was either really boring or really off the beaten path.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 22:51:08 MDT Print View

Looks great Jay.

What act of nature is going on in the seventh photo from the top?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 22:52:00 MDT Print View

Nice pics Jay. That part of the state doesn't get mentioned by backpackers very often. I might head up to that same lake some time soon.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/28/2013 23:23:47 MDT Print View

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy it, they grow up fast.

"he is also responsible for collecting all the fire wood"

Good parenting :)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake on 04/29/2013 06:38:47 MDT Print View

Looking good. I've been to that area twice now, first time was mid July maybe 12-15 years ago now, still snow on the pass going in. A lady who lives in that area said normally things that time of year would be pretty dry. Minnie Lake is mini. I was sitting in the middle of the North Fork? of the Middle Fork the second day, eating lunch, water in the deepest hole I could find was only up to my belly button. No one back in there, I was tempted to hike in the buff.
Duane

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Thanks for posting on 05/01/2013 01:20:52 MDT Print View

Thank you for posting, Jay. I've enjoyed a couple of trips to the Trinity Alps, but not the Yolla Bolly and obviouslly I'm missing out. Thanks for the inspiration.

As for Duane striking out in the buff - please don't! Nothing personal, but no need to fuel the Bigfoot fire that burns in that area.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Nice on 05/01/2013 06:27:53 MDT Print View

Nice pictures Jay!
Is your son coming to the Trinities?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Trinities. on 05/17/2013 01:19:59 MDT Print View

Did you all make it to the Trinities?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Trinities. on 05/17/2013 06:17:43 MDT Print View

A bunch of us did. Very nice long weekend. So little snow.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: Re: Trinities. on 05/17/2013 17:30:41 MDT Print View

Nice. I would love to see a trip report if any of you took pictures. Did you do the 4 lakes loop?