Forum Index » Photography » DP Merrills

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Solomon
(areality) - F - MLife

Locale: Lyon/Taipei
DP Merrills on 04/28/2013 15:11:32 MDT Print View

The quality from the Merrill series of Sigma DP cameras is outstanding. Unbeatable and unbelievable for the size/weight.

These are very limited cameras in some ways, but perfect for a very deliberate style suitable for landscapes. I've had excellent experience using all three in the outback, handheld as well as on a tripod (I opt for a Tamrac Zipshot).

Here is a stitched photo from a recent backpacking trip in Auvergne, France:

Puy Chavaroche to Roche Taillade Ridge

This panorama was stitched from 9 photos taken with the DP3M. It's been reduced in size so much, posterization is inevitable, but at 880MB for the whole whopper, the color and detail are breathtaking.

Weight of the camera is about 400gr, but you'd better take a quiver of batteries!

Edited by areality on 04/28/2013 15:23:08 MDT.

Jon Solomon
(areality) - F - MLife

Flickr link on 04/28/2013 15:24:00 MDT Print View

Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/areality4all/8686185894/

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - F - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: DP Merrills on 04/28/2013 15:41:28 MDT Print View

Agreed. I've been using a DP2M for a couple months now and it's nuts what it's capable of for the size, price, and weight. I recently made some 16x20 prints for a show and I don't even want to know what I'd have to spend and carry to get close what the Sigma can do.

Are you only using the DP3? The DP3 is interesting for the close up ability but the DP2 focal length is perfect for the stuff I like to do and stitching is easy enough for wider shots. Just picked up the AML-2 close up attachment in anticipation of plant season.

I bought a bunch of off brand Ricoh DB-65 batteries off ebay for a couple bucks each and used a dremel to make the bottom slots fit in the sigma. Works great.

Jon Solomon
(areality) - F - MLife

All three on 04/28/2013 15:59:27 MDT Print View

Hi Brendan, I was expecting to find threads here about this series. Surprisingly little to date however. Seems like a good fit for a UL kit.

I have and use all three. Usually take the DP1M and the DP3M, each in a waterproof Ortlieb padded pouch strapped to my hipbelt, along with a set of Lee filters. But I have also gone with just the DP2M.

The 3m and the 2M are more suited to stitching than the 1M because of the slight lack of sharpness in the corners on that latter one. But I do like the ease and simplicity of a single frame/single capture.

These are really the cameras I've been waiting for. I don't miss shooting Velvia at all. And since they are fixed lens units that are not that expensive (relatively speaking), I don't have to worry about scratches etc to the body.