Forum Index » GEAR » Trail Runners @ REI

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Trail Runners @ REI on 04/29/2013 13:49:05 MDT Print View

> The reason I was asking is my wife will be eith me and she will shoot me if I try on every pair in the shop :-)

Wow, that is the reverse of what happens in my household. My wife buying shoes means an all day endeavor and she tries on dozens, and dozens of shoes. Only difference is that when I buy shoes, it is usually just one pair; for her it is several pairs. Of course we are not talking hiking shoes for my wife. If I am shopping for shoes, then she starts shopping and buying -- very painful.

I avoid shoe shopping with my wife at all costs.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trail Runners @ REI on 04/29/2013 15:55:16 MDT Print View

Turns out there was not many pairs to try on anyway :-)

Loren B
(ljamesb)

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA
Re: Re: Merrell Trail Glove II on 04/30/2013 04:37:35 MDT Print View

No problem. I find them to be good on loose rocks. They have a semi-solid pad built into the forefoot and a good amount of arch support/cushioning. This protects your feet if you step on any pointy rocks. The rubber part which covers the toe is quite stiff and protects your toes if you accidentally catch any rocks with your toes while walking.

For walking on solid rock they obviously have less cushioning than a typical trail shoe, but I have found it to be plenty at 9.5mm. What you lose in cushioning is made up for with the stability that these shoes give you since your feet are closer to the ground.

These are not at the extreme end of the barefoot market as they have a nice amount of cushioning, but if you have not worn barefoot shoes before just take care and go a bit slow to start with especially if you plan to do any running in them or carrying much weight. It took a bit of getting used to at the start, but I now much prefer minimalist shoes like these to my old bulky boots.

Have fun and let us know how the search goes!

Edited by ljamesb on 04/30/2013 04:41:45 MDT.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis)
+1 Vibram Five Fingers Spyridon on 04/30/2013 10:11:07 MDT Print View

I almost gave up on using Vibram Five Fingers on trails because of the thin soles of my KSO model. The Spyridon has a sole like a mountain bike tire and provides amazing protection, grip, and traction. I can't imagine using any other shoe despite the odd color schemes.