Forum Index » GEAR » CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:08:24 MDT Print View

Ha! I frequent the Nicolet-Chequemagon, and will be rafting the Peshtigo in two weeks.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:16:24 MDT Print View

"BER, I sent you a PM... Basically I got in on a trial run."

As did I. Got it today. Gonna set it up tomorrow. Gonna sell it next Tuesday.

Kidding about the selling bit.....

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:18:19 MDT Print View

I just have one question, is spiderman on a new diet, cause he seems a bit smaller than usual?

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:46:30 MDT Print View

Ah, sent out to the special few. Guess that explains the delay in listing them on the TT site.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:56:57 MDT Print View

Remember Justin, the big screen adds a few pounds. What you see is an accurate portrayal. You think Godzilla was really that big? Here he is in real life.

Gj

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:07:58 MDT Print View

Godzilla is much cuter in real life!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:16:57 MDT Print View

"Godzilla is much cuter in real life!"

Yeah, you think so until he snaps his tail and cuts off your foot at the ankle with one swipe.....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:18:39 MDT Print View

"Ah, sent out to the special few."

Ha! Not even my mother considers me special.

Or, per the great B.B. King - Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jiving me too.....

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
I set mine up today too!! on 04/27/2013 20:21:30 MDT Print View

Well I spent the better part of the day setting up my CB3 today and playing with it. I was getting all set to write up what I thought might be a first review. Travis...you beat me to it!! Hope you dont mind if I put some more thoughts along with your thread.

I pretty much agree with Travis's initial opinions. I ordered the optional 3rd pole and I think this is going to be a great high wind/snow shelter. Ive never felt a more solid tent with that third pole installed -tried to push the tent around with my hand and it was VERY sturdy. Using only 4 stakes to pull this off is pretty amazing.

Im 6'2 and had two L/W Exped pads in it and neither my feet nor head touched the netting with maybe about 2 to 3 inches to spare. My long quilts of course touched the end mesh, but I dont see that being a problem. Ive never used a tunnel tent before and the design is definately making an impression on me. Even while laying on the edge on one side or the other, there is still plenty of room above because of the near verticle walls. It packs a bit larger than I would like, but this will be less of an issue when the shorter poles are released.

My only concern right now is the hole on either side that the third pole slides through at the bottom. Without the pole inserted, there is- well a hole...that a tick or some other insect could possibly get through. A piece of tape or something should solve that if you know the third pole will not be used. I hope that with use, the hole does not widen or stretch, as there doesnt seem to be much inforcement around that area.

I ordered the tent (Henry put you on a list if you showed special interest for first dibs) hoping that it will be extremely versatile. I plan on it being my bad weather, snow, or hiking with partner/wife/kids shelter. For 3 Season good weather solo I will probably still continue using my BA Copper Spur UL1.

All in all, Im very impressed with this shelter. Its super easy to get a tight pitch, ...the pics below are on the first try. The amount of head room is great. The two vestibules and entrances should be awesome for ventilation purposes and foul weather cooking. Ive got some Thunderstorms supposed to come through Monday or Tuesday, and Ill have the tent pitched to see how it handles the wind/rain.first pitch
Two L/W Expeds
Vestibule Room size 13 sandal
Weight as received; 3rd pole not included

Edited by cfionthefly on 04/28/2013 06:14:14 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:34:27 MDT Print View

Now roger doesn't have to worry about all the people wanting him to make his tent bigger.

3 similar tents- three different target audiences. No toes stepped on. Awesome!

Good job Henry. Looks like another winner

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: I set mine up today too!! on 04/27/2013 21:20:19 MDT Print View

Diego,
Not at all! Thanks for your thoughts and photos, and for filling in gaps I left out.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 22:27:32 MDT Print View

@Mary

Total volume (without vestibules), the CB3 is larger than the Rainshadow2 because both ends of the tunnel are of equal height whereas the RS2 ceiling slopes to the foot end.

However, the floor area is 15% smaller; CB3 = 36.4 square feet vs. RS2 = 42

The floor dimensions are different as well:

Width: CB3 = 62 inches vs. 78 for the RS2 (RS2 is 25% wider)

Length: CB3 = 86 inches vs. 84 for the RS2

I can't find ceiling height and packed size data for the CB3 on the TT website (yet), but being a 3-person rather than a 2, I'll assume it is at least equal in height to the RS2. The original poster noted the packed size was much greater than a Double Rainbow (4 x 20 inches).

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/28/2013 08:02:49 MDT Print View

Hi Travis,

Sorry could not reply properly last night as was out on the town.

The reason I mentioned about a seperate inner is all my tents are all outer pitch first which I find is very versatile.

Also as a certain Scotmans said an outer pitch first tent with the inner removed can be used as a lavatory before breaking camp in thr morning.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
CB3 on 04/28/2013 08:19:55 MDT Print View

"Also as a certain Scotmans said an outer pitch first tent with the inner removed can be used as a lavatory before breaking camp in thr morning."

I didn't know that Christophe Lambert took a position on such matters.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 08:28:26 MDT Print View

Nah its that other highlander thats fae Dundee.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 10:33:25 MDT Print View

Ah, good to know Stephen! Next time we hike together, I'm peeing in your tent. :)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 10:40:56 MDT Print View

I think the man in question was on about taking a number two in the tent :-)

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 10:44:25 MDT Print View

This thread is called "initial impressions of CB3"

The first post I read is "taking a number 2 in the tent."

Hmmm...there's a joke in there somewhere.........

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 11:10:59 MDT Print View

Most definitley :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 11:58:48 MDT Print View

Beware when a certain Scot want to take you to their favorite spot.