CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions
Display Avatars Sort By:
BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
CB3 on 04/29/2013 05:43:21 MDT Print View

Travis, Doug, and Dean,
Did any of you opt for the clip in liner for the ceiling?
Thoughts on that?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: CB3 on 04/29/2013 06:00:51 MDT Print View

I don't think it's available yet.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
roomy enough on 04/29/2013 13:44:49 MDT Print View

width of 52" worries me in terms of space for two. When we were inside a copper spur ul2 going fr 52 to 42 at the foot I thought 52 seemed tight. What do those who have the tent think? Maybe it is all personal preference, but to spend any time in the tent, sitting around, rather than just sleeping, I might like more space Or is it just fine? Need to get inside one I guess.

Sam

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: roomy enough on 04/29/2013 13:47:46 MDT Print View

Floor of CB3 is 62" wide, not 52".

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/29/2013 14:03:19 MDT Print View

Width: CB3 = 62 inches vs. 78 for the RS2 (RS2 is 25% wider)

The CB3's floor is rectangular (62" wide full length) while the RS2 floor is a trapezoid. Quite a bit of width on the head end but with the floor setup as a bathtub the foot end is filled full width by three 20"x72" sleeping pads.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Re: roomy enough on 04/29/2013 16:27:07 MDT Print View

The CB3 is more than wide enough for two, and pretty good for three- at least much better than most tents that advertise themselves as 3 man because of the near verticle side walls.

I just seam sealed mine this afternoon and just a word of caution to future owners. Be careful while seam sealing around where the guy lines attach to the pole (the black attachment points). You need to seam seal in front and back of those black attachments. I had it set up as I would normally under tension and the black tabs are pulled forward as usual, so I first sealed behind it. However some of the silicon solution found its way to the front of the black attachment point and you cant wipe it away while its under tension. So its possible to have a build up of silicon behind there and the fabrics may stick to themselves. I realized it before it had a chance to dry and everything turned out well after releasing the guy lines to seal the front and back black tabs. It also may be helpful for those that havnt done this before to practice on the stake bag filled with some quilt stuffing. My first mixed sulution was too thin and the stake bag wouldnt hold water. Thickened it up just a bit and not a drop leaked and I knew I had the consistency right.

Picture of area Im referring to.black tap

Edited by cfionthefly on 04/29/2013 16:39:59 MDT.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
52, 62? on 04/29/2013 16:43:29 MDT Print View

web site shows 52 with inner- but expandable to 62? Sam
will email Henry

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: 52, 62? on 04/29/2013 16:56:10 MDT Print View

Sam, I have no idea where 52" came from but the CB3 is definitely 62". You can't fit 3 x 20" pads into 52"

-H

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/29/2013 17:25:55 MDT Print View

here it is with three mats :
CB3 3 mats
one of six photos showing that in the "what's new" link
Those mats are 20" wide
(I still have to edit to add photos...)

Edited by Franco on 04/29/2013 17:28:00 MDT.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
CB3 on 04/29/2013 17:33:50 MDT Print View

'You can't fit 3 x 20" pads into 52"' - Only if you created a mezzanine level could you do that :-)

Henry, I am really impressed with the CB3, you have so many thoughtful features and modular options packed into this design. My only dilemma is whether I have to fall out of love with my StratoSpire 2, or take a bath on the resale of my Hilleberg Kaitum 3, in order to justify adding this to my gear rotation. I suspect I know which of the two options you would advise :-)

I'm watching the early reports with great interest, and I'll be keen to learn how early adopters of the clip-in liner get on with it.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
aha on 04/29/2013 19:10:43 MDT Print View

ok it's tent fatigue- someone(that would be me) has mixed up inside dimensions of SS2 with the new CB3. sorry. Sam

Harald T
(haraldthorkildsen@gmail.com)
Weight for extra pole ? on 05/09/2013 05:40:01 MDT Print View

HI

Does anyone know the weight of a pole (3rd pole) for CB3 ?

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Weight for extra pole ? on 05/09/2013 07:05:56 MDT Print View

Same as the other two: about 5 /12 ounces.

-H'

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Arrrrghh... on 05/09/2013 12:24:00 MDT Print View

Any chance of a "long" version of this for us taller folk?

Everyone thinks being tall is a huge blessing, but ... try it. *sigh*

-mox

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Arrrrghh... on 05/09/2013 12:37:51 MDT Print View

> Any chance of a "long" version of this for us taller folk?

How tall are you? Unless you are a 7-footer, long really shouldn't be an issue for sleeping length. The floor length (86") is fully usable and there's nothing to run into except mesh at either end. Long could be more of an issue sitting up if you're very tall.

Arn Aarreberg
(aarrebea) - M

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA
CB3 availability? on 05/09/2013 21:16:36 MDT Print View

Anyone have any idea when these will be available? This tent really looks like it will solve the problem of squeezing my dog in with my wife and I.

Arn Aarreberg
(aarrebea) - M

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA
RE: CB3 availability? on 05/10/2013 12:24:44 MDT Print View

Got an answer to my question. Thank you for replying to my email Henry! I am looking forward to getting my hands on one of these tents soon.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
CB3 on 05/28/2013 19:27:32 MDT Print View

To Travis or anyone else with the CB3:

Ive had my CB3 out a couple times now, once in a really good TS, and have gotten to know the tent pretty good. For the most part Im really happy with it.

However there are a couple things im finding a bit odd and wonder if youve experieced the same. The first thing is the webbed slots that the main poles slide into at the base. Several times Ive had them slip out while setting it up and it doesnt seem to "seat" itself well. Im not sure why grommets were not used. Second issue is the vents up top. Mine are not sturdy enough to hold there structure to keep the vent open when a wind is blowing on it. Third problem im having is I cant figure out how to keep the sides near the ground in a venting position as shown on the website.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Are you having the same issues or have you found work arounds?

Edited by cfionthefly on 05/28/2013 19:28:57 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: CB3 on 05/30/2013 05:10:06 MDT Print View

Diego,

I have the same issue with the pole sleeves. They do slip out once in a while, and I too wondered about grommets.

I've not had mine in a strong enough wind to keep the vents shut, so I can't comment on that.

Ground venting.... Diego, do you mean "keep the sides AWAY from the ground"? That is my issue, I'm not sure how to keep the outer sides up to allow for better venting.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
cb3 on 06/04/2013 21:28:16 MDT Print View

Still not available to order off their site? Anyone having good luck with this beauty.