Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 13:29:15 MDT Print View

My CB3 arrived early this week and I've just now had a chance to pitch it. The following thoughts are initial impressions on the tent as I have not spent the night out in it yet. The CB3 is listed as a 3 person shelter, which it will fit, but I have a feeling this will be a popular 2+ shelter.

The CB3 comes with two poles that thread through the sleeve and nest into the webbing, just like the DR arch pole. Once the poles are in, all it takes is 4 stakes to get a tight, clean pitch. Setting up is quick and easy with one person, and I'm guessing it could be done under a minute with two people if they tried.

I wish I could comment on how the CB3 handles wind, but I've not had it in wind. However, the large panels pitch well and there is no sagging anywhere. Obviously this will do best with an end to the wind.

You can have the doors closed, half open, or completely open. The vestibules are a very nice size. The sewn-in floor can be tensioned out to it's fullest by some shockcord on each corner, or left loose. On the interior, there is some noseeum netting attached to the bathtub floor which can be hooked up to create a tidy bathtub as well as adding a bit of protection to keep your sleeping bag from touching the sides. Or you can relax the bathtub for a bit more floorspace. The mesh doors are very big and easy to open, and everything has a cord or velcro to nicely keep it out of your way. I would like to see ALL velcro disappear from tents that have any sort of mesh. Even with the CB3, there is the possibility of the velcro coming into contact with the mesh when you stuff it in the stuffsack.

One thing I like is that you never have to restake anything. Every door configuration you can think of (besides adding more guy lines) utilizes the 4 stakes. Once your stakes are in, they can stay in. The CB3 has some extra guyout points on the doors and one on each side panel for extra stability in wind if needed. I can imagine that with the 3rd pole, this could be a very wind-worthy shelter.

The interior is VERY roomy for two. You can easily have six adults sitting straight up and cross-legged with all the doors closed. There's TONS of headroom. The length is a bit short, 80" as spec'd, but because both ends are mesh, you will not get any condensation on your bag.

The CB3 lacks a proper "porch" like the DR, but because of how much room there is in the shelter, you don't need a porch that extends. The vents have been improved. Instead of that plastic bit in the previous shelters that keeps the vent lip stiff (and always got deformed), there is now just a firm piece of material that keeps the shape better.

The footprint is large, but not as big as you'd think. One nice thing is that with the standard pitch, you don't have long guy lines to trip over. The side walls are supposed to be able to be raised up for ventilation, but I'm not sure how to do that. You can loosen the tensioner at each corner to allow that to happen, but the sides simply fall back down.

Weight in stuff sack without stakes and without seam sealing came to 46 ounces. When packed in its stuff sack, it is much larger than my DR. However, because there is no strut or cross bar in this shelter, it is much easier to pack the poles and body separate. If you do that, the CB3 will fit into a stuff sack about 2/3 the size of what it comes with. Overall, it's a bit bulkier and heavier than my DR, but the interior space appears to easily negate that (plus, it's technically a 3 person shelter). If you don't mind a few extra ounces and crave space, take a serious look at the CB3. I think it is a very good value at $319.

I was in a hurry and had to borrow my parent's lawn, so I didn't do the greatest job of showing detail and size perspective, but hopefully these pictures help a bit.

t789

r6ui

tyuk

yuo

tou

Patio chair for scale reference.
serhy

Dad for scale reference.
asdf

Here I was sitting upright against one wall with my feet stretched out. I'm 5'11". What you see is the distance between my feet and the opposite wall.
dtryuj

This is where the optional 3rd pole feeds through the mesh.
wert

Spiderman likes it, too.
awer

tyi

67t8o

Edited by T.L. on 04/27/2013 14:47:58 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 13:49:58 MDT Print View

Must not buy new tent.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:00:13 MDT Print View

Remember Stephen, this one comes out of the "household" budget.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:09:26 MDT Print View

Very nice write-up and set of photos, Travis. The dimensions are almost identical to the Hilleberg Kaitum 3 - which is a palace for two and manageable for three - with the exception of the vestibules which are each about 18" shorter. For three season use I can see the shorter footprint of the CB3 being helpful with site selection. And being 1/2 the weight doesn't hurt either.

How many extra guy-out points are there on the CB3 - I think I see one midpanel on either side, any more beyond those? Did you order the third pole? Any word on the availability of the detachable liner to make it a double wall tent?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:31:33 MDT Print View

Hi Stuart,
No word on the liner. I didn't order the third pole because a long time ago I ordered an extra DR pole. All I have to do is cut it to size.

As far as tieout points go, I'll try to answer from memory. There's one on each side, and two more with attached linelocs on each end, halfway up the door. There's also one at the apex of each pole. Provided you have a stake that can fit through the grommet used for securing the middle pole, you can stake it there as well.

If you really wanted to take it to the extreme, you could disassemble the 3-into-1 guyout system on each end and end up with 9 separate guyout points on each end.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:36:08 MDT Print View

Very true Travis.

I would definitley buy the tent if it had a seperate inner.

It does look really good

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:45:27 MDT Print View

The important part: Does the dog fit inside?

It looks a lot roomier than the Rainshadow!

Thanks for the preview!

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/27/2013 14:47:06 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:55:20 MDT Print View

Hi Mary,
Yes, the dog fits! In fact, you could probably invite a pack of dogs inside to help keep you warm during those long winter nights. :)

I've not seen a Rainshadow in person, but what is really nice about this tent is each person (when used with two people) gets an entire side and vestibule to themselves. Initially, it looks like the large, wide end vestibules will be nicer to use than side vestibules such as in the DR. You'll be able to stack your sleeping pads and move them to one side, allowing for ample living and seating space, along with unhindered ingress and egress.

I still think the DR is a fabulous shelter, and I can't speak for real world comparison yet, but I've a feeling this will replace our beloved DR.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 14:59:52 MDT Print View

Stephen, when you say "had a separate inner," do you mean a clip in liner like the one offered on the DR, or a complete mesh inner now found on the Moment DW?

Edited by T.L. on 04/27/2013 15:21:35 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 15:59:28 MDT Print View

A complete mesh inner would be nice, :-)

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

CB3 on 04/27/2013 17:22:56 MDT Print View

Travis, you scoundrel! How did you order a CB3?!? I've been watching the TT site like a hawk and its still not listed for sale! Must have some super secret pull...

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 17:26:19 MDT Print View

Well, I hope I didn't jump the gun on anything. I wasn't asked to keep it on the down-low.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 17:36:16 MDT Print View

Uh oh. The encapsil belay parka scandal all over again!

Maybe H will give you your money back to be quiet. Lol

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 17:42:37 MDT Print View

Yeah Travis! How'd you get one! I haven't even seen Franco playing with one yet! Not fair.....

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 18:06:32 MDT Print View

I AM Franco!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 18:09:46 MDT Print View

Hmmmm. Come to think of it I've never seen Travis and Franco in the same room....

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 18:25:07 MDT Print View

Trust your feelings, Doug.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

CB3 on 04/27/2013 18:35:59 MDT Print View

But seriously Travis....

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 18:47:33 MDT Print View

Me? Serious? :)

BER, I sent you a PM... Basically I got in on a trial run.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

CB3 on 04/27/2013 18:51:20 MDT Print View

Don't make me come down there. You're only 120 miles away... :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:08:24 MDT Print View

Ha! I frequent the Nicolet-Chequemagon, and will be rafting the Peshtigo in two weeks.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:16:24 MDT Print View

"BER, I sent you a PM... Basically I got in on a trial run."

As did I. Got it today. Gonna set it up tomorrow. Gonna sell it next Tuesday.

Kidding about the selling bit.....

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:18:19 MDT Print View

I just have one question, is spiderman on a new diet, cause he seems a bit smaller than usual?

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:46:30 MDT Print View

Ah, sent out to the special few. Guess that explains the delay in listing them on the TT site.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 19:56:57 MDT Print View

Remember Justin, the big screen adds a few pounds. What you see is an accurate portrayal. You think Godzilla was really that big? Here he is in real life.

Gj

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:07:58 MDT Print View

Godzilla is much cuter in real life!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:16:57 MDT Print View

"Godzilla is much cuter in real life!"

Yeah, you think so until he snaps his tail and cuts off your foot at the ankle with one swipe.....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:18:39 MDT Print View

"Ah, sent out to the special few."

Ha! Not even my mother considers me special.

Or, per the great B.B. King - Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jiving me too.....

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
I set mine up today too!! on 04/27/2013 20:21:30 MDT Print View

Well I spent the better part of the day setting up my CB3 today and playing with it. I was getting all set to write up what I thought might be a first review. Travis...you beat me to it!! Hope you dont mind if I put some more thoughts along with your thread.

I pretty much agree with Travis's initial opinions. I ordered the optional 3rd pole and I think this is going to be a great high wind/snow shelter. Ive never felt a more solid tent with that third pole installed -tried to push the tent around with my hand and it was VERY sturdy. Using only 4 stakes to pull this off is pretty amazing.

Im 6'2 and had two L/W Exped pads in it and neither my feet nor head touched the netting with maybe about 2 to 3 inches to spare. My long quilts of course touched the end mesh, but I dont see that being a problem. Ive never used a tunnel tent before and the design is definately making an impression on me. Even while laying on the edge on one side or the other, there is still plenty of room above because of the near verticle walls. It packs a bit larger than I would like, but this will be less of an issue when the shorter poles are released.

My only concern right now is the hole on either side that the third pole slides through at the bottom. Without the pole inserted, there is- well a hole...that a tick or some other insect could possibly get through. A piece of tape or something should solve that if you know the third pole will not be used. I hope that with use, the hole does not widen or stretch, as there doesnt seem to be much inforcement around that area.

I ordered the tent (Henry put you on a list if you showed special interest for first dibs) hoping that it will be extremely versatile. I plan on it being my bad weather, snow, or hiking with partner/wife/kids shelter. For 3 Season good weather solo I will probably still continue using my BA Copper Spur UL1.

All in all, Im very impressed with this shelter. Its super easy to get a tight pitch, ...the pics below are on the first try. The amount of head room is great. The two vestibules and entrances should be awesome for ventilation purposes and foul weather cooking. Ive got some Thunderstorms supposed to come through Monday or Tuesday, and Ill have the tent pitched to see how it handles the wind/rain.first pitch
Two L/W Expeds
Vestibule Room size 13 sandal
Weight as received; 3rd pole not included

Edited by cfionthefly on 04/28/2013 06:14:14 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: CB3 on 04/27/2013 20:34:27 MDT Print View

Now roger doesn't have to worry about all the people wanting him to make his tent bigger.

3 similar tents- three different target audiences. No toes stepped on. Awesome!

Good job Henry. Looks like another winner

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: I set mine up today too!! on 04/27/2013 21:20:19 MDT Print View

Diego,
Not at all! Thanks for your thoughts and photos, and for filling in gaps I left out.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/27/2013 22:27:32 MDT Print View

@Mary

Total volume (without vestibules), the CB3 is larger than the Rainshadow2 because both ends of the tunnel are of equal height whereas the RS2 ceiling slopes to the foot end.

However, the floor area is 15% smaller; CB3 = 36.4 square feet vs. RS2 = 42

The floor dimensions are different as well:

Width: CB3 = 62 inches vs. 78 for the RS2 (RS2 is 25% wider)

Length: CB3 = 86 inches vs. 84 for the RS2

I can't find ceiling height and packed size data for the CB3 on the TT website (yet), but being a 3-person rather than a 2, I'll assume it is at least equal in height to the RS2. The original poster noted the packed size was much greater than a Double Rainbow (4 x 20 inches).

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/28/2013 08:02:49 MDT Print View

Hi Travis,

Sorry could not reply properly last night as was out on the town.

The reason I mentioned about a seperate inner is all my tents are all outer pitch first which I find is very versatile.

Also as a certain Scotmans said an outer pitch first tent with the inner removed can be used as a lavatory before breaking camp in thr morning.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

CB3 on 04/28/2013 08:19:55 MDT Print View

"Also as a certain Scotmans said an outer pitch first tent with the inner removed can be used as a lavatory before breaking camp in thr morning."

I didn't know that Christophe Lambert took a position on such matters.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 08:28:26 MDT Print View

Nah its that other highlander thats fae Dundee.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 10:33:25 MDT Print View

Ah, good to know Stephen! Next time we hike together, I'm peeing in your tent. :)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 10:40:56 MDT Print View

I think the man in question was on about taking a number two in the tent :-)

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 10:44:25 MDT Print View

This thread is called "initial impressions of CB3"

The first post I read is "taking a number 2 in the tent."

Hmmm...there's a joke in there somewhere.........

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 11:10:59 MDT Print View

Most definitley :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: CB3 on 04/28/2013 11:58:48 MDT Print View

Beware when a certain Scot want to take you to their favorite spot.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

CB3 on 04/29/2013 05:43:21 MDT Print View

Travis, Doug, and Dean,
Did any of you opt for the clip in liner for the ceiling?
Thoughts on that?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 04/29/2013 06:00:51 MDT Print View

I don't think it's available yet.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
roomy enough on 04/29/2013 13:44:49 MDT Print View

width of 52" worries me in terms of space for two. When we were inside a copper spur ul2 going fr 52 to 42 at the foot I thought 52 seemed tight. What do those who have the tent think? Maybe it is all personal preference, but to spend any time in the tent, sitting around, rather than just sleeping, I might like more space Or is it just fine? Need to get inside one I guess.

Sam

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: roomy enough on 04/29/2013 13:47:46 MDT Print View

Floor of CB3 is 62" wide, not 52".

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/29/2013 14:03:19 MDT Print View

Width: CB3 = 62 inches vs. 78 for the RS2 (RS2 is 25% wider)

The CB3's floor is rectangular (62" wide full length) while the RS2 floor is a trapezoid. Quite a bit of width on the head end but with the floor setup as a bathtub the foot end is filled full width by three 20"x72" sleeping pads.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Re: roomy enough on 04/29/2013 16:27:07 MDT Print View

The CB3 is more than wide enough for two, and pretty good for three- at least much better than most tents that advertise themselves as 3 man because of the near verticle side walls.

I just seam sealed mine this afternoon and just a word of caution to future owners. Be careful while seam sealing around where the guy lines attach to the pole (the black attachment points). You need to seam seal in front and back of those black attachments. I had it set up as I would normally under tension and the black tabs are pulled forward as usual, so I first sealed behind it. However some of the silicon solution found its way to the front of the black attachment point and you cant wipe it away while its under tension. So its possible to have a build up of silicon behind there and the fabrics may stick to themselves. I realized it before it had a chance to dry and everything turned out well after releasing the guy lines to seal the front and back black tabs. It also may be helpful for those that havnt done this before to practice on the stake bag filled with some quilt stuffing. My first mixed sulution was too thin and the stake bag wouldnt hold water. Thickened it up just a bit and not a drop leaked and I knew I had the consistency right.

Picture of area Im referring to.black tap

Edited by cfionthefly on 04/29/2013 16:39:59 MDT.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
52, 62? on 04/29/2013 16:43:29 MDT Print View

web site shows 52 with inner- but expandable to 62? Sam
will email Henry

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: 52, 62? on 04/29/2013 16:56:10 MDT Print View

Sam, I have no idea where 52" came from but the CB3 is definitely 62". You can't fit 3 x 20" pads into 52"

-H

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 04/29/2013 17:25:55 MDT Print View

here it is with three mats :
CB3 3 mats
one of six photos showing that in the "what's new" link
Those mats are 20" wide
(I still have to edit to add photos...)

Edited by Franco on 04/29/2013 17:28:00 MDT.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

CB3 on 04/29/2013 17:33:50 MDT Print View

'You can't fit 3 x 20" pads into 52"' - Only if you created a mezzanine level could you do that :-)

Henry, I am really impressed with the CB3, you have so many thoughtful features and modular options packed into this design. My only dilemma is whether I have to fall out of love with my StratoSpire 2, or take a bath on the resale of my Hilleberg Kaitum 3, in order to justify adding this to my gear rotation. I suspect I know which of the two options you would advise :-)

I'm watching the early reports with great interest, and I'll be keen to learn how early adopters of the clip-in liner get on with it.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
aha on 04/29/2013 19:10:43 MDT Print View

ok it's tent fatigue- someone(that would be me) has mixed up inside dimensions of SS2 with the new CB3. sorry. Sam

Harald T
(haraldthorkildsen@gmail.com)
Weight for extra pole ? on 05/09/2013 05:40:01 MDT Print View

HI

Does anyone know the weight of a pole (3rd pole) for CB3 ?

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Weight for extra pole ? on 05/09/2013 07:05:56 MDT Print View

Same as the other two: about 5 /12 ounces.

-H'

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Arrrrghh... on 05/09/2013 12:24:00 MDT Print View

Any chance of a "long" version of this for us taller folk?

Everyone thinks being tall is a huge blessing, but ... try it. *sigh*

-mox

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Arrrrghh... on 05/09/2013 12:37:51 MDT Print View

> Any chance of a "long" version of this for us taller folk?

How tall are you? Unless you are a 7-footer, long really shouldn't be an issue for sleeping length. The floor length (86") is fully usable and there's nothing to run into except mesh at either end. Long could be more of an issue sitting up if you're very tall.

Arn Aarreberg
(aarrebea) - M

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA
CB3 availability? on 05/09/2013 21:16:36 MDT Print View

Anyone have any idea when these will be available? This tent really looks like it will solve the problem of squeezing my dog in with my wife and I.

Arn Aarreberg
(aarrebea) - M

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA
RE: CB3 availability? on 05/10/2013 12:24:44 MDT Print View

Got an answer to my question. Thank you for replying to my email Henry! I am looking forward to getting my hands on one of these tents soon.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
CB3 on 05/28/2013 19:27:32 MDT Print View

To Travis or anyone else with the CB3:

Ive had my CB3 out a couple times now, once in a really good TS, and have gotten to know the tent pretty good. For the most part Im really happy with it.

However there are a couple things im finding a bit odd and wonder if youve experieced the same. The first thing is the webbed slots that the main poles slide into at the base. Several times Ive had them slip out while setting it up and it doesnt seem to "seat" itself well. Im not sure why grommets were not used. Second issue is the vents up top. Mine are not sturdy enough to hold there structure to keep the vent open when a wind is blowing on it. Third problem im having is I cant figure out how to keep the sides near the ground in a venting position as shown on the website.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Are you having the same issues or have you found work arounds?

Edited by cfionthefly on 05/28/2013 19:28:57 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: CB3 on 05/30/2013 05:10:06 MDT Print View

Diego,

I have the same issue with the pole sleeves. They do slip out once in a while, and I too wondered about grommets.

I've not had mine in a strong enough wind to keep the vents shut, so I can't comment on that.

Ground venting.... Diego, do you mean "keep the sides AWAY from the ground"? That is my issue, I'm not sure how to keep the outer sides up to allow for better venting.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
cb3 on 06/04/2013 21:28:16 MDT Print View

Still not available to order off their site? Anyone having good luck with this beauty.

oliver hulland
(oli_h)
Whoa! Space to spare! on 06/08/2013 08:49:22 MDT Print View

I just received my Cloudburst 3 earlier this week, and just had a spare moment to pitch it for the first time since it's stopped raining. And all I can say is HOLY COW. It's an absolute palace. First impressions are really really positive.

The only other Tarptent I have experience with is the Squall (which I used for a week with a friend on the AT). Setup is similarly easy. The biggest and most immediate difference is the amount of usable space in the Cloudburst 3. In the Squall, in order to sit upright I was limited to the 18-24 inches near the door (shorter people would have more room, but I'm 6'3"). With the Cloudburst 3, there is no such limitation. If you're at all claustrophobic, the Cloudburst 3 will be a breath of fresh air. The dual entry will also be huge on bug-free nights.

I ordered the extra pole in case I end up doing some winter camping, and I figured it's best to have an extra in case something breaks. It's well done, and at least on my tent the third pole is affixed by grommets. I also haven't had any problems (so far) with the sleeves that the primary two poles slip into.
Cloudburst 3
Henry has squeezed every last drop of usable space out of the design, and given that it weighs the same as my last Ultralight 2-person tent, I'm over the moon.

oliver hulland
(oli_h)
Keeping the sides up on 06/08/2013 08:54:19 MDT Print View

I forgot to mention that though Henry mentions that you can roll the sides up for easy venting I've noticed, like Diego, they won't stay up. I think this could be fixed with a few plastic snaps that snap onto the poles (like those found on rain flies) to prevent the fabric from sliding back down.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Interesting but on 06/08/2013 21:49:28 MDT Print View

Seems like there's a few bugs in the design still to be sorted out? Or are people just not able to work out all the features yet?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Interesting but on 06/08/2013 22:03:05 MDT Print View

I would definitely love to see it with a separate inner.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Interesting but on 06/08/2013 23:13:19 MDT Print View

I bet it'd add another 1.5lbs.

It would be awesome though. Would you need a liner with that too? Solid top?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Interesting but on 06/09/2013 02:37:01 MDT Print View

I don't think it would add that much weight as it already has a ground sheet and end walls, I say it would add less than a pound.

I asked Henry had he plans to do one and he said no.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Interesting but on 06/09/2013 02:37:01 MDT Print View

Double post.

Edited by stephenm on 06/09/2013 02:37:33 MDT.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting but on 06/09/2013 05:32:22 MDT Print View

I was under the impression that a solid inner was in the works to make the CB3 a double walled winter shelter. In fact I was counting on it.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting but on 06/09/2013 09:47:46 MDT Print View

A solid inner will be available,.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting but on 06/09/2013 10:16:29 MDT Print View

Diego,

The solid need will just be a ripstop insert that's hung from the walls.

oliver hulland
(oli_h)
Seam sealing and thunderstorms on 06/11/2013 11:36:17 MDT Print View

I live just outside Baltimore and we had some truly gnarly weather the past few days. Nearly 4" of rain fell in a two or three hour period.

As it happens, the day before I had seam sealed the tent and left it to dry. By the time I came out to break it down, the rain had started to fall so instead of having a sopping wet tent on the porch, I just left it up until the sun came back. I can say with certainty that the tent handled it admirably. With that in mind, there are three places where you're going to want to spend a little bit more time seam sealing, and that's where Henry has sewn in three circular patches with velcro to hold on the third pole. This was literally the only place where water got in despite nearly 36 hours of constant heavy downpour. Also the sides of the tent extending almost all the way to the ground means that there is little to no splashing. We had flashfloods, and there was a torrent of water flowing underneath, but it stayed dry. I spent a bit of time in the tent for fun, and was impressed with how much ventilation can be achieved by leaving the vestibules mostly open on one side, and just partially open on the other (that way you can keep your gear on one side.

Something else is that this morning when I went to go out and check, a significant amount of condensation had formed (because I had closed both vestibules and we had a pretty significant change in temperature and humidity). But after shaking it around almost none had fallen to the floor. I think this is in part due to two design elements. The first is minimal seams that act as collecting points, and the second is the vertical walls.

Anyway, I'm really really impressed with this tent and am excited to take it backpacking this summer. If anybody wants to see other features/pictures let me know and I'll snap a few after my second round of seamsealing dries this afternoon (I just touched up the three spots mentioned earlier).

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Re: Seam sealing and thunderstorms on 06/11/2013 12:09:52 MDT Print View

Those 3 circles are exactly where I had to go back a put on more sealer. Also the vent area where the stitching runs vertically towards the bottom was a problem spot.

We had major rain over the weekend too and not a drop reached the inside. Handles wind great also.

Still waiting for wether or not the 18 inch poles are available on the CB3 and if they will come in carbon fiber. Havnt heard anything back from Henry.

The only other issue ive had, and its quite frustrating, is the sleeves allowing the poles to slip while setting up. Needs grommets instead I think.

Overall very pleased with the CB3

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Seam sealing and thunderstorms on 06/15/2013 20:33:50 MDT Print View

So has anyone figured out how to make the sliding walls stay up? I feel that for the Australian summer heat that would be a nice feature.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Re: Seam sealing and thunderstorms on 06/15/2013 23:19:56 MDT Print View

Is there not a mitten clip? My Scarp has em

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
follow up on 07/15/2013 17:39:40 MDT Print View

I recently had to send my CB3 in for a repair. While it was in the shop, Henry fixed my only real complaint about it. He was able to adjust the sleeves where the poles insert so they no longer slip out while setting up. I thing the stitching was adjusted to make a tighter fit. Anyways, great service and great shelter.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: follow up on 07/16/2013 08:11:59 MDT Print View

> He was able to adjust the sleeves where the poles insert so they no longer slip out while setting up.

Just FYI, the CB3 pole sleeve straps are now manufactured that way with the strap coming off the pole pocket about 1/2" up from the bottom. That prevents slip (and is how we do it on the Moment DW and Rainbow/Double Rainbow as well). There are also elastic loops at each of the 4 interior corners for lifting the canopy edge up to the adjacent interior clip and holding it there for sidewall ventilation and views.

-H

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
shires on 07/16/2013 09:55:16 MDT Print View

More great work from Henry Shires.

Nice!

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
Re: CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions on 07/16/2013 10:11:14 MDT Print View

I would love to hear more comparisons to the Rainshadow 2 (which I now own). The big tradeoff I see is the footprint vs. headroom. The RS2 with a slightly bigger footprint and the CB3 with more consistent headroom (along the length). After that, it is convenient entry (CB3 with double entries) and weight (RS2 coming in a bit lighter). Any other thoughts. I'm wondering if there are enough benefits that would warrant an upgrade.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Re: Re: follow up on 07/16/2013 11:02:42 MDT Print View

Thanks Henry...

I didnt notice the elastic loops to hold up the sidewalls, so I guess i have another excuse to go set it up in the yard!

Adrian B
(adrianb) - MLife

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
adrianb on 08/03/2013 22:52:23 MDT Print View

>I would love to hear more comparisons to the Rainshadow 2

I've been thinking the same things, since I also have a RS2. Differences that appeal to me:
- more and better pegging options - the RS2 suffers from only a single peg at the back, which can get a lot of strain when trying to get a taut pitch.
- even without the third pole it looks more wind stable than the RS2.
- looks like it has better options for hanging lights/clothes from the roof, this is something I miss in the RS2.
- entry ways are not blocked by hiking poles, and there are 2
- two vestibules, rather than one (the rear mesh of the RS2 cannot be unzipped)

Tempting!

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
CB3 on 08/04/2013 08:04:36 MDT Print View

Ive had the RS2 and now the CB3. Id definitely get the CB3, especially if you don't use trekking poles.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

TT CB3 on 09/16/2013 14:41:31 MDT Print View

Just another plug from a satisfied user.
5 day stay in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area with the CB3.
Hot August weather with lots of bugs--stayed reasonably cool with good ventilation with the vestibules rolled back all the way.
One night of heavy rain--stayed completely dry (did seam seal before trip)
One night of heavy wind (a couple large branches came down but luckily not on the tent)--held fast and strong. No issues. End into wind and optional third pole was used.

Thanks Henry for a great tent. Far lighter and smaller volume than the Hilleberg Kaitum! Quick stetup to boot.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: follow up on 10/28/2013 21:02:19 MDT Print View

Just got my CB3 and it looks awesome although only set it up indoors so far. Had no problems with poles slipping out or whatever.

But I still can't figure out how to keep the walls slid up the poles. I can see the elastic loop in the 4 corners but the nearest clip is too far away to clip in to. Edit: OK figured it out after talking to Henry! You have to fully unthread the outer corner tensioning straps in order for the sides to be able to slide up far enough to attach the inner elastic loops to the interior clip that you can sort of see below:
cb3 interior corner clip

Edited by Joomy on 10/31/2013 00:03:35 MDT.