Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: More on water caching on 05/16/2013 09:16:28 MDT Print View

"Does this mean the lynching is called off?"

Hail no! CDT is blood in blood out bro!

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: More on water caching on 05/16/2013 19:21:00 MDT Print View

"Does this mean the lynching is called off?"

Hail no! CDT is blood in blood out bro!"

The Dutchman must have a captain! ;) buahahaha

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Crime(s) & Punishment(s) on 05/16/2013 22:35:30 MDT Print View

Been watching the replies to this thread with interest.

As a retired high school teacher (10,11 & 12) I have to say that kids, and therfore the young adults they became, gradually got lazier, more anti-intellectual and more belligerent over my 35 years of teaching.

Yes, crime is down partly due to much more professional police work and better social services to ameloriate poverty. Yes, discrimination of ALL types of minorities is down (except maybe Bushcrafters;). But MORALS?? I kinda think Norman Rockwell would be horrified at the local big city news of today.

Now "Trail Morals" I'd say is generally far above the average of society in general.
Unfortunately Balls and Sunshine likely got screwed by people who are probably not true backpackers but rather "once-in-a-while" hikers who are nearly (well, they DID leave a note) clueless regarding trail etiquette, not to mention common courtesy. We all have seen idiots on the trail. Balls and Sunshine just didn't see these idiots.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Crime(s) & Punishment(s) on 05/17/2013 08:30:20 MDT Print View

I don't know...

"Balls" and "Sunshine" get some water stolen from them and it's suddenly the decline of Western Civilization and Morality?

Don't forget that when Norman Rockwell was painting warm and fuzzy pictures of white people eating turkeys blacks were still getting lynched in the South.

Some "morality" this country used to have.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Crime(s) & Punishment(s) on 05/17/2013 09:55:36 MDT Print View

The "Good ol' Days" syndrome is IMO a natural consequence of aging. I remember feeling that way after my first 5-7 years in the Army. "Boy these kids are out of touch with reality; they'd die if someone took away their PS1 (ok this was a while ago)" & etc. The reality is that I left the service for college just before 9-11 and these young soldiers shouldered a much greater burden in Afghanistan and Iraq than I ever did in my years of service.

I'm still in touch with one of those snot-nosed soldiers. When I met him, my general impression was that he was a club-rat and immature. Since then, he's served 48 months in real combat as a grunt (not a TOC Roach or Fobbit) and is now working in a clinic helping disabled veterans readjust to civilian life.

Are they lazier? No in my opinion and if they are, the parents are certainly culpable.

Are they less ethical? Definitely not. In the '70s, my house was burglarized twice; we were in the house asleep both times. We had serial killers. You had to check your Halloween candy for razor blades and needles. Drugs were as prevalent then as they are now (never hear about PCP anymore though.) Pedophilia has been around since recorded history. My dad shares stories of walking past male prostitutes and heroin dealers on his way to school in Baltimore during the '50s.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Crimes(s) and Punishment(s) on 05/17/2013 10:31:22 MDT Print View

Ian you have a point, I believe Aristotle had "Good old day syndrome" and Solomon mentions it in Ecclesiastes only he was different in that he said (paraphrased) "Do not ask why the old days were better then the present, it is not from wisdom that you ask this." In other words people in his time were looking back on the "Good old days," and he was smart enough to realize it was a fantasy.

So basically we've been longing for the "Good ol' days" as far back as recorded history.

We aren't lynching African Americans, we aren't fighting a Civil War, we aren't going through the Great Depression and Fascists don't rule Europe so things aren't all bad.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re Re Crimes(s) and Punishment(s) on 05/17/2013 11:12:06 MDT Print View

Are you saying 'Happy Days' is fake?

Henry Winkler doesn't kick ass and take names?

Well i did just Wiki 'Fred Rogers' and his stint in the millitary is rumor.

Next youll tell me that Mr Blonde cut off Van Goghs ear.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
AND on 05/17/2013 11:42:03 MDT Print View

Have you seen the 1970s fashions??? Egads. Talk about the bad old days.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: AND on 05/17/2013 11:50:22 MDT Print View

"Have you seen the 1970s fashions??? Egads. Talk about the bad old days."

Whoa! Pump the brakes killer. Nothing says "Ladies... I'm here to party" like bellbottom jeans and a polyester shirt con butterfly collar.

Get with it man!

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
re decline of civilization and morality on 05/17/2013 12:51:06 MDT Print View

***Craig said: "I don't know..."Balls" and "Sunshine" get some water stolen from them and it's suddenly the decline of Western Civilization and Morality?"

-

No- it's a SYMPTOM of the decline in civilization and morality. It's present everywhere. Just read the comments on a news story some time and read how rude people are to each other just because they can be. The more disconnected we become as a society due to all our technology, the worse it gets.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
so much BPLing fun on 05/17/2013 15:31:16 MDT Print View

witch hunts, lynch mobs, stealing condiments, the decline of civilization ...

say it aint so ;)

BPLers lynch mobs get so worked with no real evidence of who did what ....

parallels anyone ...

Reddit's 'Find Boston Bombers' Founder Says 'It Was a Disaster' but 'Incredible'

http://news.yahoo.com/reddits-boston-bombers-founder-says-disaster-incredible-225823288.html

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Just for the fun of it.. on 05/17/2013 15:55:30 MDT Print View

After we get done with the lynching I say we go up to Washington and get them to legalize dueling, but only for politicians or and private citizens challenging annoying IRS/TSA agents. Politicians don't like each other? They can shoot it out (and push CSPAN's ratings through the roof). Don't like the way you got treated by a TSA agent? Challenge him to a duel!

Imagine all the benefits... we'd be creating new jobs, we'd be resolving conflict, CSANN would be the ultimate reality show, and everyone would be much more polite. Sort of "Darwinian" manners, we'd replace "Survival of the fittest" with "Survival of the most respectful."

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Just for the fun of it.. on 05/17/2013 16:18:52 MDT Print View

As a pacifist (ha ha ha.... almost said that with a straight face), instead of dueling, I'd prefer to use a dance-off format.

Example:

"I'd like a large coffee please."

"Do you mean venti or grande?"

"IT'S GO TIME BE-AH-CHA!"

(visualize customer doing "The Sprinkler")

"Oh hecks no! I didn't get my master's degree in art (sorry Craig W. but it fits the stereotype I'm going for here) to get punked out with some lame arsed moves like THAT!

(visualize barista jumping onto the counter who then lays down a flawless performance of "Roger Rabbit")

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Just for the fun of it... on 05/17/2013 16:22:19 MDT Print View

Ian would "Pacifist Soldiers" be similar in any way to the Pacifist Headhunters I met? Nice folks but rather confused I think. I got tired of them an moved in with a tribe of Vegetarian Cannibals on an island of the coast of Iowa.

Edit - Yes dance offs would work but I still think dueling would be great. I visualize D.C. as sort of a "real world" reality show. "Which Senator will be shot tonight?" Maybe we could figure out a way for fans to get involved?

Edited by Cameron on 05/17/2013 16:24:28 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re Re Just for the fun of it... on 05/17/2013 16:28:50 MDT Print View

dont do dance offs ... the koreans will take over the world

they just need to trot out PSY and his GAGNAM style ... and youll feel like yr facing a NUKE in a waterpistol fight ;)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Re Re Just for the fun of it.. on 05/17/2013 16:34:51 MDT Print View

As long as we don't have to deal with Justin Beiber and Mile Cyrus then I'm fine with the Koreans taking over the world via dance offs.

Edited by Cameron on 05/17/2013 16:35:26 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Just for the fun of it.. on 05/17/2013 16:48:56 MDT Print View

What kind of duel we talkin here? Swords? Pistolas? Straight up fisticuffs?

To mitigate thread drift: Maybe they could fight with empty water jugs?

Edited by WoodenWizard on 05/17/2013 16:50:03 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Just for the fun of it.. on 05/17/2013 19:43:49 MDT Print View

"...instead of dueling, I'd prefer to use a dance-off format."

Better yet, pose-off. Practice your Magnums....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=gx9O6q0pDAU&feature=fvwp

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Re: Re: AND on 05/18/2013 16:05:54 MDT Print View

"Nothing says "Ladies... I'm here to party" like bellbottom jeans and a polyester shirt con butterfly collar. "

You may be right. But only if it is accessorized properly.

some_text

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
everywhere on 05/18/2013 16:37:09 MDT Print View

>>No- it's a SYMPTOM of the decline in civilization and morality. It's present everywhere.

Exactly. Everywhere and in every time. Keep in mind corn flakes were invented by a guy who thought tasteless food could stop the decline of civilization and morality from too much (any) masturbation.