Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: water on 05/09/2013 10:00:45 MDT Print View

in one of his posts this week he says they have a pretty good idea about which group it was that left a bit before them.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 05/09/2013 11:57:52 MDT Print View

I'd love to see any followup, such as if he confronted them and what they said. They definitely need an education.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
"Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 05/09/2013 12:59:46 MDT Print View

Even IF Balls is correct in his ID, a five to one confrontation is not apt to work out well for him.

I would suggest that it if he is prepared and able to prove it in court should a libel suit be filed, it would be better to publicly identify the perpetrators publically on all of the CDT forums and let nature take its course. I doubt they'll be welcomed by any trail angels or other hikers.

Edited by wandering_bob on 05/09/2013 13:02:59 MDT.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
ID on 05/09/2013 13:28:45 MDT Print View

Didn't he pretty much identify them. His journals talks of five hikers who were in town t the same time, gives out the names. I doubt there are too many groups of five hikers going through at the same time.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: "Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 05/09/2013 13:41:24 MDT Print View

Court? Libel suit?

Are you kidding me?!

Move on. I'm sure they have. This is all really petty and self important.

They didn't die, nor did the past transgression bring about an untimely end to their hike.

Some grace here would go far. The last thing the outdoor community needs is another divisive point of argument. There's already this "day hiker" vs. "thru hiker" mentality creeping into the thread, as if either should be shown preference.

Walk lightly, cause we are all visitors and stewards at best.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: "Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 05/09/2013 13:57:38 MDT Print View

+1 Eugene.

Nuff Said.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: "Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 05/09/2013 14:41:49 MDT Print View

Knowing their usual hiking speed they will probably pass the group and be done with them soon enough and can either tell their story to people they meet or not.

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Sometimes people "know" who stole their stuff, and they're wrong on 05/09/2013 15:50:40 MDT Print View

I'm uncomfortable with any "lynch those other hikers" mentality when, as far as I can tell, we don't even know it WAS other hikers. Balls wrote in his journal "While we hike the Gila, Beacon is going to cache food and water along our next section of CDT which is known to be dry including a 60 waterless stretch."

If someone wanted to mess with a hiker, seems like it would be pretty easy to check for water caches at each road crossing along the next stretch, then take any visible water and leave a note making it seem like it "had to be those other hikers."

I don't know that that's what happened. On the other hand I don't think we can be reasonably sure who DID take the water, and why. So while taking the water was a very bad thing to do regardless, I don't think anyone should insinuate that it was fellow hikers. It's a very small community out there and a rush to judgment might smear some very good people's reputations.

A good policy for caches is "out of sight, out of mind." At least Balls had wisely planned so they weren't down to their last option, depending on a single cache for their lives.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Shame on 05/09/2013 16:16:49 MDT Print View

I'm with Eugene.

Who knows what happened and why. This thread is kinda arm-chair quarterbacking without a good view of the field. Even Balls seems loathe to condemn without proof, and he was the one wronged.

I know most of that group of 5 from the PCT last year and a few of them are contributing BPL members here. There are a few really cool cats among that group that would never disrespect thru-hiker code unless in dire circumstances. Maybe we should put down the pitchforks and chill till the facts are in focus.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 05/09/2013 16:25:01 MDT Print View

Can't we compromise ? Chop off their right hand now, and later brand them across the forehead with a warning sign ?

In the old days, justice was swifter than it is now. I'm not saying it was right, but there was a sense of satisfaction in doing something that eased the frustration.

Just to save time, and not run up his post count, I'll just put it in my post.

I see the identity thief is back.
--B.G.--

If people carried ultra light pitchforks and torches, this might be over by now.

--G.B.--

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 05/09/2013 17:12:53 MDT Print View

"If people carried ultra light pitchforks and torches, this might be over by now. "

My UL pitchfork is here somewhere under all this crap. My heavyweight one is in the garage where I can find it, but I would never want to let anyone see me carrying such a heavyweight item. Its titanium or bust for me on all witch hunts from here on out.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 05/09/2013 17:26:28 MDT Print View

Could an UL pitchfork have dual use as an ice axe? Or a weenie roaster? Or a trekking pole? Or a bear deterrent instrument? Or a cathode digger? Hmm, I think you may be on to something.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Pitchforks on 05/09/2013 17:37:32 MDT Print View

I say just "string um up" with a bear bag rope. Much lighter then a titanium pitchfork. Worked for cattle rustlers.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 05/09/2013 17:46:59 MDT Print View

carbon fiber handled Ti pitchfork with swappable ends for a CF packraft paddle or spear tip for those who think Tenkara is too damn peaceful ;)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Re Re Balls and Sunshine Ripped-oof on the CDT! on 05/09/2013 18:14:30 MDT Print View

"carbon fiber handled Ti pitchfork with swappable ends for a CF packraft paddle or spear tip"

I like it Jake.

Titanium torches with removable handles that turn into alcohol burning stoves.

While we're at it titanium six shooters with carbon fiber handles and a cuben fiber cartridge belt for Balls to wear. With titanium bullets.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Oh, the horror... on 05/09/2013 19:08:56 MDT Print View

You know in the movie where the senseless mob chases the poor, well-intentioned, mis-understood monster?

BPL has assembled a mob of Bob Grosses. Incredibly well equipped Bob Grosses with violent intentions.

Be afraid.

Edited by cfrey.0 on 05/09/2013 19:10:31 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Oh, the horror... on 05/09/2013 21:02:45 MDT Print View

I like where your heads are at on this, folks! My philosophy of life is that people who are too busy with DIY projects for UL lynch mob gear are much less likely to actually form a real lynch mob!

Edited by millonas on 05/09/2013 21:04:39 MDT.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
the real question on 05/12/2013 15:15:15 MDT Print View

do we use triptease or z-line?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
This isn't about Balls & Sunshine on 05/12/2013 15:42:11 MDT Print View

It's about the demise of civilization; about a society that has lost it's moral compass; about people who feel their needs supercede ethics and personal property; about people who feel no responsibility for their actions; about people who don't prepare, because "someone" will take care of them.

I remember a time when people didn't have to lock their homes or cars; a time you could park your bike in a rack witout a lock and it would be their when you returned; a time when store goods didn't have anti-theft packaging and devices; a time when shoplifting was unheard of; a time when people gave back money if a cashier accidentally gave them the wrong change; a time when restaraunt customers only used the condiments to season their food -- not take extra home; a time when people respected others and their property.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: This isn't about Balls & Sunshine on 05/12/2013 16:17:26 MDT Print View

It's about the demise of civilization; about a society that has lost it's moral compass; ... I remember a time when people didn't have to lock their homes or cars; a time you could park your bike in a rack witout a lock and it would be their when you returned

+1

Indeed, that collapse has made it's way into many of our public and private institutions as well as into our collective thinking.

But that might not be evenly distributed. In 2005 I spent several days in Finland (large city and small town settings). I very much enjoyed seeing how many people used bikes for transportation and was positively amazed to see that only about 10% of parked bikes were locked.