Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 10:48:56 MDT Print View

Their water cache in the desert was stolen by other hikers. Despicable.

balls water note

Post from their trail journal here

My thoughts here

Edited to add the picture from their trail journal.

Edited by ngatel on 04/27/2013 10:50:33 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Pretty Low on 04/27/2013 10:58:19 MDT Print View

Pretty low if you ask me. Remember in the Old West when horse stealing was a capital offense?

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Pretty Low on 04/27/2013 11:18:36 MDT Print View

Range wars were fought over water rights.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Pretty Low on 04/27/2013 11:49:23 MDT Print View

You know those ultralight lines we bear bag with? Wonder if it would be possible to do a "neck tie social" using those, the thief and a tree?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 12:09:12 MDT Print View

If you are going to take water in an emergency, then you had better replace it somehow. Even if that means hauling a ton of water back in or somehow driving to the cache.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 12:13:45 MDT Print View

"If you are going to take water in an emergency, then you had better replace it somehow. Even if that means hauling a ton of water back in or somehow driving to the cache."

And you need to purify it or leave a note about what you did. Anyway, I hope someone figures out who did this and crucifies them either physically or psychologically.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 12:17:28 MDT Print View

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but, unfortunately, I'm not. I also hope karma deals with these cretins in a most unpleasant way.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 12:20:06 MDT Print View

"I also hope karma deals with these cretins in a most unpleasant way."

Doug is always the nice guy, even when he wishes bad things to happen to bad people. So being non-PC, I say, crucify the bastards :)

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 04/27/2013 12:41:39 MDT Print View

I performed a sophisticated handwriting analysis and determined the perpetrator was a girl in her late teens to early 20's.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 12:59:28 MDT Print View

I ran a Simple Handwriting Interrogation Tool (SHIT) analysis and came to similar conclusions.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: Gore Range
Re: "Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!" on 04/27/2013 13:14:36 MDT Print View

Definitely a chicks handwriting.

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 13:16:34 MDT Print View

People like this have the ability to justify anything they want. Hit and run without a care. The trail has it own strict code maybe a posse is in order.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
My guess is on 04/27/2013 14:45:38 MDT Print View

A millenial with a typical sense of entitlement.

Fitz Travels
(fitztravels)
Yup on 04/27/2013 15:03:03 MDT Print View

Exactly one week before i was headed out to New England to do some vagabonding/hiking this past October, someone swiped my crap at my basecamp. Stole over 1300 of gear, luckily they left my 230$ arctyres mittens, probably didnt realize how expensive they were. I checked out all the homeless camps around the area, and didnt find anything. I think it was a hunter.

Im actually, now, glad it happened. Im going to be abke to shave around 7 pounds now off my new gear this summer for my trip.

By the way, my zero degree REI Radiant was taken, and this January was the coldest in our states history. Amazingly i got by on a 45 degree MH phantom and a 30 degree REI Kindercone that i used as an overbag. I took that down to 0 plenty of nights, not comfortably of course, but not that bad either.

They call it "getting raped" when your crap gets swipped. I dont mind my crap getting stolen in the summer when im working a lot and its warm, but boy, that really came at a bad time this past year. I was broke and a week later we had 5 degree nights for 4 weeks.

In the winter, i carry my crap with me now. I hate being stereotyped in town, but i like keep my crap more

Edited by fitztravels on 04/27/2013 15:04:27 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: My guess is on 04/27/2013 15:13:17 MDT Print View

I would LOVE to hear these people try to justify their actions. Unfortunately, they'd probably get slapped the hell up before finishing their first sentence.

"So why'd you take the water?"

----"Well, like, we were really totally thirsty and *!!SMACK!!*.......

"Sorry. Needed stress relief."

What's also pretty scary is if they do this kind of stuff on a trail, think about what kind of people they are day in and day out. I know its hard (ok, impossible) to make a complete judgment on a person without meeting them, but sometimes, just sometimes...

Edited by T.L. on 04/27/2013 15:17:42 MDT.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
13alls on 04/27/2013 15:21:08 MDT Print View

I'd probably look for another water source before I'd steal from someone named 'Balls'...

And if it were truly an emergency situation, I'd take some water too. How much was taken?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: 13alls on 04/27/2013 15:30:32 MDT Print View

I'd probably look for another water source before I'd steal from ANYONE.

And as someone else mentioned, if I TRULY had an emergency and needed water NOW, I'd make sure what I took was replenished forthwith.

I've cached water before and on the jugs I've written: "This water has been cached for hikers that are depending on it for their health and safety. Please leave undisturbed. Taking it puts their lives in danger."

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re 13alla on 04/27/2013 15:43:16 MDT Print View

My guess is this person(s) wasn't planning ahead. Most people don't PLAN on stealing other people's water caches. Not just because its wrong, it certainly is. Aside from that who says "I'm going to hike through a desert without enough water and hope that other people leave some for me to steal." They probably weren't planning ahead and suddenly found themselves in a dry place with no water.
Hopefully they won't be on the trail long, if they are word will likely get around and they will be mighty unpopular.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!! on 04/27/2013 16:20:51 MDT Print View

Agreed!

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off - How did they stash it? on 04/28/2013 13:55:10 MDT Print View

How did B&S stash their water? Was it hidden in some way or visible to other hikers?