Forum Index » GEAR » Status of practical solar chargers?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Status of practical solar chargers? on 04/27/2013 12:27:20 MDT Print View

The OP wanted an off-the-shelf solution. With the GoalZero Nomad 7 USB and Guide 10 ports, he could charge his USB batteries and also store electricity in a battery pack for those trips where is rains for a few days. A pretty versatile solution.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Status of practical solar chargers? on 04/27/2013 18:51:44 MDT Print View

"With the GoalZero Nomad 7 USB and Guide 10 ports"

Yup. I don't currently need the +5V output, but it might be handy some day. The +12V output is handy today. There are some other good products if all you need is +5V or else only +12V.

Nick, I guess you can see the light.

--B.G.--

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Goal Zero Nomad 7 and Guide 10 on 04/27/2013 19:19:11 MDT Print View

The Nomad 7 can charge 4 AA batteries in the Guide 10 in about 2-4 hours of sun. For 2-3 day trips, I'd take a rechargeable battery pack which would weigh less. For anything longer or where I want to really want to use my smartphone a lot, I'd take my solar panel.

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
alternative to Goal Zero solar charger on 04/27/2013 20:59:25 MDT Print View

At the Zion Trail Ragnar, I was able to check out an almost identical solar charge system as Goal Zero (which I currently own). They appear to be similar in quality, style but lighter and much cheaper. Check them out!

http://www.suntrapsolutions.com/shop/st7-solar-panel/