November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Status of practical solar chargers?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Status of practical solar chargers? on 04/27/2013 12:27:20 MDT Print View

The OP wanted an off-the-shelf solution. With the GoalZero Nomad 7 USB and Guide 10 ports, he could charge his USB batteries and also store electricity in a battery pack for those trips where is rains for a few days. A pretty versatile solution.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Status of practical solar chargers? on 04/27/2013 18:51:44 MDT Print View

"With the GoalZero Nomad 7 USB and Guide 10 ports"

Yup. I don't currently need the +5V output, but it might be handy some day. The +12V output is handy today. There are some other good products if all you need is +5V or else only +12V.

Nick, I guess you can see the light.

Mike In Socal
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Goal Zero Nomad 7 and Guide 10 on 04/27/2013 19:19:11 MDT Print View

The Nomad 7 can charge 4 AA batteries in the Guide 10 in about 2-4 hours of sun. For 2-3 day trips, I'd take a rechargeable battery pack which would weigh less. For anything longer or where I want to really want to use my smartphone a lot, I'd take my solar panel.

Michael Richey

Locale: Southern Utah
alternative to Goal Zero solar charger on 04/27/2013 20:59:25 MDT Print View

At the Zion Trail Ragnar, I was able to check out an almost identical solar charge system as Goal Zero (which I currently own). They appear to be similar in quality, style but lighter and much cheaper. Check them out!