How to lighten my cook kit?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: lids on 04/26/2013 12:39:03 MDT Print View

I had the same problem with my SP 700 lid. It weighed an oz or a little more. When I boil a pint of 40* water, I burn about .25oz of water. I can't notice a difference in my fuel economy since I've started using aluminum foil but I'm just using a kitchen scale. I figure for the same weight in fuel I was better off without it.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
.6 liters? on 04/26/2013 13:02:57 MDT Print View

elijah, I'll pick up a couple of super cheap stainless steel .6 liter pots today before they vanish from chinatown. It looks like that minimalist pot is .6 liter, same rough size. I want to see how that compares re weight and cooking, the sets I was using are 750ml and 900ml.

These have full handles, which I cut off and replaced with ti wire folding handles, which are a pain to make, but they weigh less than yours and have a real lid.

I was debating picking up a few, I think I will just to have them around.

the gsi thing is a nice place to start though, don't stress too much about weight, just because people here do doesn't mean you need to, there is really no difference between 2, 3 pounds extra baseweight in the real world, it's more a game people here play because it's fun and sort of a challenge, not unlike the tarp you created in school (obviously, however, you would drop the weight hugely and increase water resistance massively in that design by using standard glad bag sandwich bags, cut open, but that's another issue for another thread...).

I didn't make my ul on a shoestring cookset because I needed it, though it is very cool, I made it because it was a fun project, a distraction from boring real world work stuff, not unlike trying to distract yourself from boring school stuff, that is.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Not bad Elijah on 04/26/2013 13:06:49 MDT Print View

I'd eliminate the cutting board but everything else seems OK.

Here's my kitchen kit - minus the stove as that depends on the season and fire regs.

POT-> Trail Designs 3 cup anodized W/ lid (low & wide for max efficiency)

SPOON-> long handled Lexan

CUP-> plastic camp style measuring/drinking cup

POT GRIPPER-> aluminum W/ skeletonized handle

COZY-> fleece W/ Velcro closure for 1 qt. freezer bags

BOWL-> cut down GLAD storage bowl to fit inside 3 cup pot

STOVES:

Caldera Cone Sicewinder ti stove W/ Inferno insert (for ESBIT & wood)
Brunton Crux canister stove W/ windscreen
MSR Dragonfly multifuel for winter
SVEA 123 (now in my museum W/ its SIGG TOURIST cook kit)

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: .6 liters? on 04/26/2013 14:47:49 MDT Print View

> elijah, I'll pick up a couple of super cheap stainless steel .6 liter pots today before they vanish from chinatown.

Which Chinatown? If it's Oakland what store?

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: How to lighten my cook kit? on 04/26/2013 15:10:37 MDT Print View

-GSI Minimalist pot, 3.52 ounces

Get a TI pot that is .6 liters should save you half an ounce. is that weight with a lid?

-Neoprene pot cozy, 0.7 ounces

whats the cozy used for? if you have a mug and pot grippers.

-Aluminmum wind screen, 0.5 ounces

Find a place ith less wind to cook

-Mini cutting board, 0.1 ounces

Use a log and enjoy the extra minerals

-Silicon pot gripper, 0.4 ounces

Bandana

-JOGR canister stove in plastic case, 3.9 ounces

get a lighter stove- FMS-300t is 41 grams- over 2 ounces lighter

-Sponge, 0.7 grams

Use sand or a stick

-Sea to Summit X-Mug, 2.25 ounces (my lid and my bowl

premade meals like mountain house or packit gourmet you can eat out of the bag it comes in.

-Wendy's ice cream spoon, 0.1 ounces

So with the changes you have

Fms 300t- 1.45oz
TI pot- 3oz - this is a guess Im not sure if there is a TI pot that small.
wendys spoon- 0.1

total- 4.55 oz

Elijah Ziemann
(MrBlondyable) - F
New Kit on 04/27/2013 15:58:21 MDT Print View

With the help of you guys, I ditched the mug and replaced it with a DIY pie tin lid. I got rid of the pot grabber, I decided I could use my sponge to grab the pot, especially if the sponge is wet. I also got rid of the stove case. My windscreen protects the sides of my pot from scratching from the stove, my cutting board protects the bottom, and my sponge goes on top so it can't dent my lid. Put a rubber band around the whole thing, and voila: 8.4 ounces. So I dropped 3.1 ounces without sacrificing much any capabilty. I could drop more weight with an alcohol stove, which I may do in the future for shorter trips.

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Sponge as pot grabber on 04/27/2013 16:30:48 MDT Print View

Have you tried the sponge as a pot grabber yet? In my experience using bandanas and similar items as pot grabbers, when they are wet they conduct the heat straight to your fingers. Give it a try at home before you have a nasty surprise in the field.

It may be different with a sponge as opposed to fabric items, but just be careful.

-David

Edit:

I still use a bandana or other cloth item as a pot grabber, it's just better if it's not wet, and it requires more caution than using a dedicated pot grabber.

Edited by cowexnihilo on 04/27/2013 16:49:14 MDT.