Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Great Western Loop
Display Avatars Sort By:
Garrett Cole
(Buster) - F

Locale: Currently a plains dweller.
Re: More photos on 10/24/2007 06:30:34 MDT Print View

Hi Ken,

Is there a trick to viewing the new pictures in full size, when I go through them, they remain thumnails where they used to enlarge. The thumbnails look great, I wish I could see them in large scale.

Any thoughts?

Garrett

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: More photos on 10/24/2007 08:11:16 MDT Print View

same here, using either IE or Firefox running under XP Pro

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: More photos on 10/24/2007 09:28:49 MDT Print View

I just happened to be browsing with a Mac at work and thought I would check how the pictures worked for me. I'm having the same problem with the pictures only displaying thumbnail size when you click on them. Using OS X and Safari.

Adam

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

Locale: SE Michigan
Re: Re: More photos on 10/24/2007 17:01:58 MDT Print View

Actually this is a bug. I'm fixing it right now. I'll post a message to the forums when it is repaired. This is not computer or browser specific. Everyone is affected.

** Ken **

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

Re: Photo bug fixed on 10/24/2007 17:07:01 MDT Print View

The problem some of you noticed with large photos not displaying at full size has been fixed. Thanks for catching that. It's something I really should've noticed when I posted the new code.

** Ken **

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

a different Photo bug? on 10/24/2007 19:07:12 MDT Print View

Ken,

Is it your intent that the "leftward pointing" arrow move us forward to the next photo (the one to the right on the same row or the first one on the next row) and the "rightward pointing" arrow move us to the previous photo?

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

Re: a different Photo bug? on 10/24/2007 22:13:52 MDT Print View

The big arrows move you forward (right arrow) and backward through the photos. The Sort menu only affects how the thumbnails are displayed (oldest to newest or vice versa per index page).

So if you are viewing in "descending order" the left arrow causes you to move through thumbnails left to right top to bottom (like writing). If in "ascending order" the left arrow would appear to move right to left and bottom to top.

** Ken **

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Skurka Update on 10/31/2007 23:12:09 MDT Print View

Thanks BPL, the coverage on Andy's trip rocks. Only a couple days to go. Good luck to Andy on the conclusion of one of the greatest backpacking trips ever.

One nitpick: the video update titled "September 7, 2007—Elk Show." is actually a large bull moose!

Garrett Cole
(Buster) - F

Locale: Currently a plains dweller.
Congratulations on 11/03/2007 18:15:04 MDT Print View

Congratulations to Andy on his expected completion today. I've very much enjoyed keeping up to date via your Podcasts, videos, and photos posted on Backpackinglight and your website.

If you put together a slideshow there's an outdoor retail store in Delaware that would like you to stop by.

Again, Congratulations! Phenomenal accounts, looking forward to a wrap up Podcast.

Garrett

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

The Hike Is Done on 11/04/2007 01:58:18 MDT Print View

THE GREAT WESTERN LOOP IS COMPLETE

Andy is sitting ten feet away from me here in Flagstaff, Arizona, the champagne has been spritzed, and the Great Western Loop is closed.

This has been a remarkable finish for Andy and I think for those of us who were able to be here for this moment in history. The day could not have gone any better.

We will have a great deal more to share with you in the next several days. Right now everyone, especially Andy, is savoring this wonderful moment.

** Ken **

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: The Hike Is Done on 11/04/2007 07:56:31 MST Print View

Congrats Andy! What an amazing accomplishment. You're really quite an inspiration.

Adam

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: The Hike Is Done on 11/04/2007 08:18:08 MST Print View

thanks for the update Ken,

and thanks to andy for sharing his experiences with us through his podcasts and photos and videos,.. this trip will definatley help me in planning big trips for myself in the future.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: The Hike Is Done on 11/04/2007 15:11:50 MST Print View

Andy,
Congrats and thanks for the podcasts! I enjoyed listening to them on my commute and during my hike thru the Three Sisters Wilderness.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/10125/index.html

I heard you talk about your sea-to-sea route in Madison, NJ and hope to hear a similar review of this hike. Hope you can put some captions on your photos to further educate us on some of these great places.

Tom

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
The Great Western Loop on 11/04/2007 16:19:42 MST Print View

Andy,

Congratulations, man. Don't go walking for a few days, ok?

- Sam

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Congratulations Andy Skurka! on 11/04/2007 21:04:54 MST Print View

This is a great accomplishment Andy! It's been so fun to hear updates on your adventure- I'm really proud of you!

Enjoy the coming weeks at home- and best of luck on the reentry.

Thank you!
Doug

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
All Right, Andy! on 11/04/2007 21:42:02 MST Print View

Woo Hoo!!!!

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Fantastic... on 11/04/2007 22:39:07 MST Print View

Congratulations, Andy - can't wait to hear more of the story.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: The Hike Is Done on 11/05/2007 00:54:21 MST Print View

Ya mean Andy's not still hiking;-)

Truly amazing, well done!

Timothy Hortberg
(thortberg) - F

Locale: Midwest
Congrats!!!! on 11/05/2007 07:21:50 MST Print View

Congratulations on an EPIC achievement. I have enjoyed your reports and the images are beautiful. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.
Gotta Run
Tim

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Inspirational on 11/08/2007 23:14:14 MST Print View

Andy, I think you have completely reset the limits and have shown us all, once again, what is possible with the right gear, techniques, training and most importantly attitude.

I look forward greatly to an article (please!) on what gear, techniques, etc worked well on such a long trip, and any improvements you will make for your next extended adventure...we all know there's another on the cards somewhere.

Congratulations mate!