Forum Index » Chaff » Ultimate backpacking meat?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Staplin
(mtnrat) - MLife

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies
Ultimate backpacking meat? on 04/26/2013 02:27:53 MDT Print View

Could this be the answer to all our dreams? A meat that lasts virtually years. This is so amazing that I should start a thread over in food and nutrition. :)

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/14-old-mcdonald-hamburger-shows-no-signs-mold-194830515.html

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Ultimate backpacking meat? on 04/26/2013 07:22:57 MDT Print View

And here I thought it was going to be the new In-n-Out located at Vogelsang HSC between July and August, 2013.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
McD's on 04/26/2013 14:03:59 MDT Print View

I know I shouldn't take chaff talk too seriously, but the amount of bad science behind stories like that has gotta be frustrating for McD's. People unintentionally dehydrate these thin burgers into essentially jerky, and then make unsubstantiated claims it's because of preservatives. They observe an effect (doesn't rot) and assume a cause.

There's lot of reasons to hate McD's, but this isn't one of them. There's zero preservatives in McD's burgers aside from the salt that is sprinkled on after. This is simply a thin slice of meat dehydrating before mold has time to grow on it. Note that McDonald's Quarter Pounder burgers (same meat but thicker) do readily mold because they're thicker and take longer to dry out.

Edited by dandydan on 04/29/2013 08:40:00 MDT.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: McD's on 04/27/2013 07:48:09 MDT Print View

Way to pop a bubble, Durston. What's next, ruining the miracle toast?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: McD's on 04/27/2013 07:53:50 MDT Print View

Nasty when fresh. Does not get better with age.