Forum Index » GEAR » Absurdly inexpensive ultra-light canister stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
William S.
(Balt)

Locale: East Coast
Absurdly inexpensive ultra-light canister stove on 04/25/2013 17:43:00 MDT Print View

I noticed a small gas-canister stove listed on Amazon, but sold through a company in Hong Kong. Comparable to the MSR Pocket Rocket in size, weight (95 grams), and configuration, but costing all of $7.75US (free shipping). It got over 100 reviews, going back more than 2 years, nearly all positive. Doesn't even have a name, as such; just a description: "Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove Burner with Piezo Ignition". Anyone familiar with it?

Saving money is a good thing, so long as the product isn't a shoddy ripoff.

Tom D.
(DaFireMedic) - M

Locale: Southern California
I bought one.... on 04/25/2013 18:50:12 MDT Print View

I bought one about a month ago, figured for $8 what do I have to lose? I've taken it out a few times now and am very impressed so far. It's not quite as refined as a Pocket Rocket, JetBoil, or one of the other name brand stoves, but it seems to perform very well. Pot stability is OK, not great on narrow pots but not that bad either. Wide pots are fine. The flame control works good, although the wire handle could have been attached better. The Piezo has fired up the stove on one click each time that I've tried. Mine weighs 3.2 oz without the case, and it boiled 2 cups in 5:30 from a mountain creek (just visual, no thermometer). Only time will really tell how long it will last, but I plan on throwing it into the kit in my truck as a back up stove.

John Rowan
(jrowan) - M
Stove on 04/25/2013 19:37:22 MDT Print View

I have one of those, although I only used it a few times before I dropped canisters for alcohol or Esbit, so I can't speak to long-term performance/durability/etc. I really liked it while I had it and it worked well. Really can't beat it for the money.

It's also known as the "JOGR" sotve- you can find a few more in-depth reviews if you do a google search under that name. I know at least Sectionhiker has one (http://sectionhiker.com/ultralight-and-inexpensive-backpacking-canister-camp-stove/) and I think there are a few others as well.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Absurdly inexpensive ultra-light canister stove on 04/25/2013 19:56:49 MDT Print View

You can't beat the price, that's for sure.

I'm a little hesitant to depend on one for a big trip, though. Getting the time off, coordinating with friends, getting the permits -- and to risk screwing it up over an $8.00 stove? A Gigapower costs $40.00 at REI and will last a life time of typical use (yes I know the threads can wear out with heavy use, but for most of us, it would be years and years before that happens if at all). Seems like a smart investment to me.

Also, if the weather's bad and you're forced to cook in your shelter, what is the CO output? I doubt somehow that an $8.00 stove had a lot of R&D put into it.

And lastly, what about efficiency? The #1 thing I try to avoid is bringing a second canister (or a larger canister). If this thing is as fast as the Section Hiker review reports, then it's burning through a lot of fuel. If you burn through more fuel, then you might have to carry that second canister or a larger canister. If one were trying to reduce carry weight and bulk, that's not the way to go in my opinion.

On the other hand, for short fair weather local trips, why not?

HJ
Adventures In Stoving