Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DIY wind screen?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elijah Ziemann
(MrBlondyable) - F
DIY wind screen? on 04/25/2013 09:13:55 MDT Print View

I made a windscreen last night for my canister stove. I used a doubled up piece of aluminum foil, and then taped the edges with Gorilla tape. It looks like it wood work well, but it's pretty dang heavy. Judging from just holding it, it's probably 4 ounces or so. This is abnormally heavy for a windscreen, right? What materials do you use to make a lighter one?

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/25/2013 09:22:15 MDT Print View

I've used doubled foil and just folded over all the edges once or twice to make them stronger, and I don't think any of those weighed over an ounce.

I think your extra weight is coming from the Gorilla Tape, which is unnecessary in my experience. After a while the foil will wear out whether or not you have the tape, so a simple folded design is the way to go.

You can also order ti foil from a few different places in the size you need, then you don't have to worry about it wearing out (I got my 4" x 24" x .005" piece for my remote canister stove at a good price from Titanium Goat).

-David

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/25/2013 10:00:09 MDT Print View

Aluminum flashing from hardware store

My windscreen weighs 1 ounce

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/25/2013 11:39:04 MDT Print View

Four ounces does seem a little heavy. I just fold over the edges of the foil back onto itself to hold the various sheets together. Zero weight penalty. :)

Tooling foil is another good one and is pretty cheap. It's a little lighter and more flexible than flashing, at least the flashing I've seen locally.

Ti foil is good but is typically expensive.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/25/2013 11:54:09 MDT Print View

I recommend emailing Titanium Goat for a quote on the size you need, since I was pleasantly surprised by the price. The price was similar to what I paid for a roll of flashing a number of years ago, but I never really liked the flashing.

As mentioned above, I did use folded foil for a lot of years with great success--I just got tired of making new windscreens.

-David

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/25/2013 12:44:42 MDT Print View

I generally use a foil windscreen that weighs 3/10ths of an ounce.

--B.G.--

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Ti on 04/25/2013 23:54:58 MDT Print View

I have a 4x14" piece of to foil that I could sell you. Weighs just under an ounce

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Ti on 04/26/2013 03:04:41 MDT Print View

Ti takes heat better and is stiffer, BUT it is heavier than aluminum.

A couple, 3 layers of Aluminum foil works well. Three layers are more flexible than one...sort'a like a wire. I have used mine for well over ten years, even if it has a lot of kinks/folds and wrinkles. Hmmm...it is starting to look like me...
hI agree with David, a lot of the extra weight is comming from the tape.

Another type of heat screen is the TopHat. When I still used canisters, I used it to allow heat trapping around the heat source without badly overheating the canister. 10 or so vents at the top will allow circulation. A stone or two will hold it onto the pot. It works even after several squashings in the pack, and is just a piece of larger heavy duty aluminum foil. Even after it gets ripped and torn it works pretty good.

Here is a cross sectional sketcth, screen on the right:
Heat Trap for cannister stoves.

Edited by jamesdmarco on 04/26/2013 03:08:30 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/26/2013 05:10:40 MDT Print View

Oven liners. You can easily cut them with scissors, and can either fold them, or roll them. The ridges you see are of no consequence and can actually be smoothed out. After cutting my wind screen, the edges seem sharp, so I take some steel wool and spend a few minutes smoothing out the edges.

wtu

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: DIY wind screen? on 04/26/2013 11:27:21 MDT Print View

"After cutting my wind screen, the edges seem sharp, so I take some steel wool and spend a few minutes smoothing out the edges."

The alternative there is to fold the edges, say about a quarter inch all the way around. That makes a stronger edge, and it is not sharp.

You can fold thin metal like that using a sheet metal folding tool. Or, just bend it over a sharp edge of a table and use some tool for pressure. I use a one-inch diameter wooden dowel rod.

--B.G.--

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
simple $5 on 04/26/2013 15:21:39 MDT Print View

I considered a DIY windscreen but after all was said and done I ordered one pre-made off eBay. Made of tooling foil, just like you would get from Whitebox etc. The edges are folded over about 1/4" on all four sides to prevent sharp edges and add a touch of stability, professionally done. 24x4, 0.7oz on my scale. Cost was $5 and change including shipping.

Sometimes it just isn't worth trying to DIY something, for me this was one of those times. PM me if you'd like the source.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
folding edges on 04/29/2013 11:37:41 MDT Print View

I've found an easy way to get a neat fold is to run a ballpoint pen along a straight edge where you want the fold to be, on something fairly soft, such as newspaper or cardboard. Then fold the raised edge over, and press flat, either with thumbnail, dowel rod (as Bod suggests), or gentle taps with a rubber mallet.

The windshield that came with the WhiteBox stove was a bit too soft for my liking; I prefer windshield/pan supports, so prefer the stiffer foils such as oven liner/disposable BBQ tray (prior to use...).

I've only ever used a folded edge for strength, never finding that a cut, or scored, folded & snapped Al foil edge sharp enough to cut.

I don't recommend trying to fold Ti foil without experimenting first; my experience says Ti fractures very easily (work hardens very easily). A Ti fold is likely to make it very stiff, too.

Edited by captain_paranoia on 04/29/2013 11:38:15 MDT.

Bobbie Morrell
(Bjmorrell) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
DIY windscreen from cans on 04/29/2013 18:40:09 MDT Print View

I made a screen from Guinness cans. Half an ounce...

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: DIY windscreen from cans on 04/30/2013 06:48:23 MDT Print View

I used foil off of a roll of foil from a craft store. It is about the same weigh as the disposable roasting pans are made of. It has worked out well for me. I forget the weight but since the pop can stove, windscreen, & stand all weigh a total of two ounces the windscreen must be at or under an ounce.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: simple $5 on 04/30/2013 15:05:13 MDT Print View

I took JR's suggestion and ordered one.

It is all he said it was. Very pleased.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
a few PMs on 05/01/2013 06:45:10 MDT Print View

A few folks have PM'd me for the link, I don't know why I hesitated to just post it here in the first place. All you need to do is search "windscreen alcohol stove" or similar in eBay and you'll find several providers, including the one I used. His is currently $2.95 + $2.25 ship for $5.20 delivered, about the cheapest I found. I have no connection to that seller.