Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What do you think of the pricing on the ULA Arctic pack?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Granda
(Throckmorton) - MLife
What do you think of the pricing on the ULA Arctic pack? on 05/08/2007 15:01:28 MDT Print View

I'd like to know other people's opinions on this. When I first saw the price I was a little shocked. I was guessing they would be a little cheaper. After I thought about it a while,I decided to look up specs for the Dana Designs Racer X and the Raid Z. The Raid Z is the closest comparable thing I've seen to the Arctic pack. It weighs more and the hipbelt pockets are nowhere near as large as the ULA packs are. The Arctic pack comes with two bags while the Raid Z comes with one. The Raid Z is selling for around $200. I think the Arctic pack is worth the extra money. Especially considering the low numbers that will be made and the expert input that went into designing the final product.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: What do you think of the pricing on the ULA Arctic pack? on 05/08/2007 16:56:01 MDT Print View

Just compare it to something like the Arc'Teryx Naos series of dry bag packs:

http://www.rei.com/product/733753?vcat=REI_SEARCH

The ULA packs give you two different bag sizes with a more functional and adjustable suspension system for more than a pound lighter and $200 less.

To me, it seems like a great deal.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
What do I think of the pricing on the ULA Arctic pack? on 05/08/2007 17:22:41 MDT Print View

Absolutely. What Shawn said.

Sure, it's a chunk of change and a shocker compared to SUL pack prices. But it compares favorably, pricewise with many stock internal frame packs in it's size catagory from Mountain Hardwear, Granite Gear, Osprey, etc.

I personally think it's a relative bargain, given it's quality, features and small production run. I also think it will be an imminently resaleable pack (w/ low depreciation) on the off chance one finds it doesn't work for them.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Arctic Pack on 05/08/2007 18:05:18 MDT Print View

Well, I don't think the price is outrageous but I would sure like to see better pics or one in person before deciding if it's "worth it". If Brian is making it and Ryan is helping design it, I have no doubt of the quality ad think $300 (member price) is probably right on.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Arctic Pack value would be seen better w/ more photos on 05/08/2007 18:10:57 MDT Print View

More pictures and/or a 360degree "walk-through" such are available for some of the packs on the ULA site would not be a bad idea at all.

Hint, hint, Ryan and Co.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: Arctic Pack value would be seen better w/ more photos on 05/09/2007 08:06:59 MDT Print View

Yes, I agree about the 360 view, but bigger.