Forum Index » GEAR » Losing the occasional feather from my quilt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
Losing the occasional feather from my quilt? on 04/24/2013 10:23:12 MDT Print View

I'm new to down, but I have a EE RevX 20 degree, and have put about 9 nights in it since receiving it at the end of January (I love it). In that time, I've found maybe 4 or 5 small feathers that seem to have migrated out of the quilt; in my pack, in the tent, on my jacket. Just wondering if it is typical to lose an occasional feather? I've looked over the quilt and can't find a hole. I'm guessing there must be a spot where a perfectly aligned feather can be pushed through the stitching. Something I should worry about, or ignore until something drastic happens?

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Don't Worry on 04/24/2013 10:52:09 MDT Print View

I wouldn't worry about it. It is typical that a few feathers make their way out of sleeping bags when used. If you are getting a few per night, then I would be concerned. My Western Mountaineering bags will shed a feather or two over the course of a few days.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Down on 04/24/2013 11:23:09 MDT Print View

Ben is right. I usually loose a few feathers too over the course of a trip but take into consideration how many feathers or plumes there are just to make up an ounce and you begin to realize that the loss of a few doesn't really make any substantial difference. However, if you have a hole in your bag and all the down is falling out, that would be cause for some concern ;)

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
thanks guys on 04/24/2013 11:26:11 MDT Print View

Sounds like nothing out of the ordinary and I should continue loving the quilt. Thanks guys.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: thanks guys on 04/24/2013 11:59:21 MDT Print View

If you see a feather sticking out try to pull it back in from the other side.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Losing the occasional feather from my quilt? on 04/24/2013 15:55:12 MDT Print View

Ignore. A few feathers out of the million or so in there won't matter much.

Cheers

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
SELL IT!!!! to me on 04/24/2013 16:33:25 MDT Print View

That quilt is clearly faulty and you should get rid of it ASAP before there are no feathers left.

But there is a silver lining I will buy it from you for pennies on the dollar.

note: sarcasm is present above.