Bonding ALU rods to tubes - What adhesive?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: ALU to ALU on 05/02/2013 08:51:34 MDT Print View

Glad you solved the problem.

Didn't occur to me until just now but Larry Penberthy (MSR) dealt with a similar problem many years ago on some tent poles.

He solved it by notching the free end of an inside ferrule at the tip. He then put a pop rivet through the tubing into which the ferrule fit. The pop rivet fit into the notch of the inside ferrule and kept the tubes from twisting.

Edited by lyrad1 on 05/02/2013 14:28:21 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: ALU to ALU on 05/02/2013 09:04:29 MDT Print View

Larry Penberthy doesn't post much anymore.

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: ALU to ALU on 05/02/2013 22:47:10 MDT Print View

> I've always been curious about what you use to craft the T-fittings on your frame.

I made up two steel production jigs. The first bends the Al rectangle into a U-shape. The second forms the U-shaped aluminium into the T-shape. The second one needs a medium-sized press though. Then I pop-rivet it together. I did poke the steel nail-heads out and re-press the pop-rivets as well.
The joiner just slides neatly over the Al tubing, so I assemble the pack frames in a jig (for size and squareness), and apply Black Max.

Yeah, ... too much spare time. :-)

Cheers

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Tees on 05/03/2013 23:21:30 MDT Print View

Roger,
I like the way you make things from scratch.
Sort of a survivalist version of MYOG.
Reminiscent of the public TV show with the guy who made wooden furniture the way they did hundreds of years ago. The first few shows were about making the tools to make the furniture. Some of the pieces were pretty good looking, solid stuff.

Forgive me for always looking for the quickest, easiest way, though.
The reason for that is not enough time. Just want to get the gear done and get out there. Doctor's orders - more exercise.