A McHale demo pack arrived today
Display Avatars Sort By:
Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Locale: Northern Utah
My McHale demo from awhile back on 07/15/2013 08:20:03 MDT Print View

Getting back to McHale Demo's
McHale CM Pack Demo

I dug this out of my photos archives to demonstrate why a McHale pack works for me. The fit is perfect, and it is only a Demo. I had loaded 70 lbs in this pack shown AND had hiked on an incline trainer for ten minutes. Still no sag of the waist belt.

i had lost a bunch of weight training with a Mystery Ranch G5000, but it was killing my lower back. When I received the McHale, that 60 lbs felt like 35 or 40 lbs. I was instantly sold.

In viewing this photo, some people focus on how close the upper pack is to my head. I purposely pulled the straps snug to pull the upper pack in close. It does not need to be pulled that snug, but I was just experimenting with the fit at the time. The P & G bayonet extensions can be bent to lean back, I suppose, if necessary.

Edited by vigilguy on 07/15/2013 08:40:17 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Pack on 07/15/2013 08:23:54 MDT Print View

HA! Dan, are you actually disputing the fact that Herman is unhappy?

Not only does he have every right to dislike your pack, if he pursues actively finding threads about McHale packs and voicing this opinion again- guess what! He gets to! He can be as upset as he chooses!

He paid for the pack, it's his right to use the forums to say why he dislikes it. If that bothers you, too bad! Stop selling packs if you're going to cry when people don't like them.

He's not being a hypocrite. He's using the forum. There's nothing wrong with what Herman is doing, and implying that there is is ludicrous and immature. Not everyone loves your packs.

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Merke Demo on 07/15/2013 08:25:19 MDT Print View

Merke Demo

Here is another Demo from Dan. Fit was great as well. They certainly work well for me, and Dan has always provided professional service.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Man boobs on 07/15/2013 09:21:22 MDT Print View

AS far as Dan is concerned, I am grateful for his service. Entrepreneurs are the true heros in society. People who take risks, suffer due to regulation and taxation and give their time to serve us should be respected. Sure Dan may have been a bit brash in this thread and perhaps he let emotion rather than logic lead him a bit with his dealings with Herman, but Dan is an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs face challenges many of us will never know, that is-those of us who work for others instead of making our own way. Entrepreneurs most often be brash to be successful. I read in this thread that Dan had like 182 emails with Herman, that alone is supreme service. My hat is off to Dan, Mr.Aarn and all the other cottage gear makers who risk it all for us. Certainly there is no doubt that Dan's products are top quality, just like most of our other cottage manufactures. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE DAN AND ALL OTHER COTTAGE GEAR MAKERS!

As someone with spondylolisthesis and other low back problems, i love my man boobs(to quote Dan) and could not be happier. In fact, i acually would not be able o hike at all without this tyoe of load distribution.

This really explains it all:

http://www.aarnpacks.com/principles/natural_posture.html

Spondylolisthesis gets worse with the type of pressure typical packs put on the lower back, look at the arrows in the picture above. After approximately an hour with a normal pack, I have to take it off and stop. I can do thru hikes with an Aarn.

In no way am I being a fanboy, If McHale came out with a body pack concept, I would be the first to buy it. (Maybe patents are preventing him and others?) As long as it's an entire pack and not just some clip on like Ribz which are not as effective as a pack made from the ground up to distribute the load the way a bodypack does.

: P

Edited by isaac.mouser on 07/15/2013 09:46:01 MDT.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Old Story on 07/15/2013 09:41:06 MDT Print View

Years ago, when the western part of the country was being settled, an old man had a farm on one of the main trails west, where folks often passed by. One day a wagon with a family pulled up, and the pioneer asked the old man, "What are folks like around here? Is this a good place to settle?" The farmer replied, "What were folks like in your old place?" The pioneer replied, "Oh, they were mean and nasty, always gossiping, and never helpful." "Well," said the farmer, "you won't like it here then, cuz folks are pretty much the same."

A day or two later, a second wagon drove up, and the folks in it asked the same question. "What were folks like back East where you lived before?" the farmer asked again. "Good folks, always friendly and helpful! We're missing them already," came the reply. The farmer said, "Folks here are just the same! You'll find nothing but good, friendly, helpful people here."

Nuf said.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Old Story on 07/15/2013 09:56:03 MDT Print View

Love that. Thanks.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Old Story on 07/15/2013 09:59:25 MDT Print View

Good one, Stephen!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Merke Demo on 07/15/2013 10:45:12 MDT Print View

Charles,

That Merke looks pretty sweet. What does it weigh in at?

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Merke weight on 07/15/2013 10:56:55 MDT Print View

@ Ian

My Merke that Dan built for me weighs in the vicinity of 3.5 lbs. I love the simple but effective suspension where he uses 7075 Aluminum stays. I use it A LOT. Ruggedly built, which I like. I typically only carry 10 or 15 lbs in it since I use packgoats more and more, but I have lugged close to 50 lbs in it one time and was amazed that the suspension did not collapse.

Carries wonderfully well. Feels like it a part of my anatomy, flexes well and does not restrict my movement in any way.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Merke weight on 07/15/2013 11:05:49 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/15/2013 14:55:44 MST.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
abuse not use on 07/15/2013 11:30:41 MDT Print View

No max, he abused the forum. He's not using it. He started out with a lie and he could not even fully apologize for that. Sure he can be as upset as he wants. Guys can beat their wives too. You are really going downhill in your reasoning. I thought you were looking for community here. You've just turned into another abuser. I understand your emotions but you are on the wrong team. OK, let's just say Herman is making good and proper use of the forum. It follows that I am doing the same.

Edited by wildlife on 07/15/2013 11:43:37 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: edit on 07/15/2013 11:31:52 MDT Print View

"If anything I added insults while editing. I edit grammar and add insults, that's the purpose of my editing typically."

I couldn't help but laugh at this. One of the best BPL posts ever.

Ryan

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

P & G on 07/15/2013 11:32:00 MDT Print View

@ David Ure - No, the Bayonets were not touching the back of my head. As I mentioned, I really snugged them down just to see what it felt like.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: P & G on 07/15/2013 11:37:16 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/15/2013 14:56:15 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 07/15/2013 11:48:28 MDT Print View

Mchale is a scumbag and a scammer / thread.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
hatred on 07/15/2013 12:56:20 MDT Print View

@Michael W.

there is a legitimate need in the marketplace for customers who critique products or manufactures, but I can’t see how personal attacks such as yours benefit the market in any way.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 07/15/2013 12:57:05 MDT.

Rick Adams
(rickadams100) - M
moobs on 07/15/2013 15:10:48 MDT Print View

Ike, my scouts call the front pockets moobs. And they work well.

Philip Marshall
(philthy) - MLife
Aarn on 07/15/2013 15:44:54 MDT Print View

My wife and I call them boobie packs! Aarn packs have worked really well for us too- I got a little bit tired of how complicated they can be, but when I'm having big loads they are where I turn. I must admit I have definitely considered a Mchale for those loads, just for the simplicity of an ordinary backpack vs body pack .

Rick Adams
(rickadams100) - M
hassle on 07/15/2013 17:20:33 MDT Print View

same here, the Aarn is on the shelf until a big hike comes up, it's a lot more tolerable to put in on in the AM and walk all day, for shorter stuff or a lot of stop and go ala scouts they are a giant pain.

The McHales appear to thinner and taller than a lot of packs which helps from a physics standpoint but it's tough to justify the cost even though I've burned way too much cash buying and selling packs, certainly more than a grand.

Of course, if I got a McHale and didn't like it I'd be really tweaked.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: hassle on 07/15/2013 17:24:58 MDT Print View

"Of course, if I got a McHale and didn't like it I'd be really tweaked."

Me too.

But that is why the demo process is critical. You will know whether or not you will like it before Dan even starts making yours.