Do birds pee ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Do birds pee ? on 04/23/2013 16:45:39 MDT Print View

Looking out of the window my wife announced that there was a big magpie peeing on the lawn.
At least that is what I thought she said, in her own peculiar English accent (she is from New Zealand)
The word was actually "feeding"
Anyway I had to then search for the answer.
So I typed into Google " do birds " Google guessing "pee".(first suggestion .03 of a sec)

Well, they don't.

The point here is : just how many losers look up stuff like that ?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Do birds pee ? on 04/23/2013 17:39:56 MDT Print View

You are not alone.

I looked it up.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
At least two people on 04/23/2013 17:41:44 MDT Print View

I look up stupid stuff like that all the time. Seems like a read once that when birds "poop" that pretty much covers all forms of excrement, pee,etc. for them.

Ryan

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
The problem in reverse on 04/23/2013 18:56:03 MDT Print View

I went on a hike yesterday in a BLM wilderness area. My buddy read something online that we may "encounter some crusty patches of earth, that they were somehow significant, and to not disturb them." I didn't read this myself so this was all the information I had to go with. Lo and behold we encounter a really really old cow patty.

Him "I think this is one of those whatchamacallits!"

Me "That looks suspiciously like an old cow pie."

Him "I don't know..."

You have to then visualize two "grown" men arguing over a cow patty but neither of us wanting to poke it with a stick on the chance I was wrong.

Growing old is inevitable (God willing); growing up is optional.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/23/2013 19:02:03 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Do birds pee ? on 04/23/2013 19:09:11 MDT Print View

"The point here is : just how many losers look up stuff like that ?"

I used to have to look stuff up. Now I know everything so I don't have to look anything up anymore.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Do birds pee ? on 04/23/2013 19:11:03 MDT Print View

Pat and Mick had the same problem.
They encountered something that looked like a cow patty but were not sure.
After arguing for a while they settled on a taste test.
Pat had to admit that it was cow poo.
To console him Mick said " look on the bright side, at least we did not step on it"

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Do birds pee ? on 04/23/2013 19:36:06 MDT Print View

Franco,

That cow patty joke made me laugh. Perfect.

I too look things up (on a daily basis). The Encyclopedia of Google is wonderful!

I don't consider myself a loser, however, because I am a wiener.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Birds Peeing on 04/23/2013 20:29:42 MDT Print View

Birds have a 'cloaca', which is a butt hole and urine hole merged into one. So birds have urine, which goes into a nice little storage chamber near the cloaca and then once a bird is flying over a hiker or shiny car the urine gets nicely mixed with the poop and the bomb doors open.

Ostrich is the exception. They can pee.

Edited by dandydan on 04/23/2013 20:32:48 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Birds Peeing on 04/23/2013 21:37:48 MDT Print View

On second thought, never mind.....

Edited by idester on 04/23/2013 21:38:48 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Birds Peeing on 04/23/2013 22:16:41 MDT Print View

Oh, let me tell you about the cloaca..

Back in 1986 I was at a party and...

Wait, wrong story.

I do raise chickens though. I have had to inspect a cloaca or two in my day. If a hen is acting funny/ill, you have to put your fingers in there and root around to see if they're egg bound (an egg stuck in the cloaca). Egg binding can kill chickens if unattended. If you do find a bound egg and accidentally break it, egg/shell can get in the oviduct and you're in big trouble (or eating chicken for dinner in a few nights).

The simple joys of animal husbandry.

...and I was only 10 years old in 1986.

Edited by xnomanx on 04/23/2013 22:18:36 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Birds Peeing on 04/23/2013 22:36:45 MDT Print View

"On second thought, never mind....."
Chicken.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Birds Peeing on 04/23/2013 22:48:51 MDT Print View

"Chicken"

Douglascide destroys the internet with over the top edgy humor in 3.... 2...

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Birds Peeing on 04/24/2013 04:48:36 MDT Print View

>The simple joys of animal husbandry.

Wait. You married a chicken?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Birds Peeing on 05/09/2013 11:50:26 MDT Print View

Its official, Craig is a cock.

;)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Birds Peeing on 05/09/2013 12:09:29 MDT Print View

Preferable to being a dick, I suppose.....

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
cock on 05/22/2013 05:22:40 MDT Print View

speaking of which... after recently splitting from my wife, a friend told me that if i didnt use mine, it would fall off. now i aint no looser, so can someone out there look that up for me, thanks

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Birds Peeing on 05/22/2013 06:17:36 MDT Print View

Ouch.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Birds Peeing on 05/30/2013 09:54:37 MDT Print View

"Birds have a 'cloaca', which is a butt hole and urine hole merged into one. So birds have urine, which goes into a nice little storage chamber near the cloaca and then once a bird is flying over a hiker or shiny car the urine gets nicely mixed with the poop and the bomb doors open."

Birds have an interesting adaptation for dealing with weight issues - I guess UL backpackers can learn from this. Water is heavy and birds do not really pee as we understand it - they eliminate nitrogen waste in the form uric acid crystals/paste, with minimum water. We (and most other land-bound creatures) eliminate this same stuff in solution, hence the liquid pee. The white stuff in typical bird droppinsg is mostly made up of this.

This method costs them in terms of energy but has the obvious advantage for them of not having to carry the extra water. This is why usually, unless the bird just drank a lot, the bird dropping are usually pretty ... umm ... solid. So they really don't pee as we understand it, they have a high-end UL method of handing water physiologically. Baby birds have a specialized version of this that allows the parents to just roll the baby bird droppings out of the nest with no mess. That would be great for human moms and dads!

The land-bound Ostrich is an exception, I assume. They can afford to eliminate their nitrogenous wastes using plenty of water.

For some reason this scatological discussion made me remember the time I read something Ryan Jordan wrote that "if you eat the right foods you shouldn't need more than one square of TP to clean up after shitting." That was, I think, the first of many times on this site someone made be go :-0, this guys is hard-core. LOL

Edited by millonas on 05/30/2013 10:21:29 MDT.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Birds Peeing on 05/30/2013 20:44:10 MDT Print View

Mark,

Good additional info and good observation.

I too would consider someone to be hard-core-ultra-light if they are adjusting their diet to reduce toilet paper consumption and, therefore, weight.

That would be a perfect answer to the sometimes asked question here "You know you are an ultralight backpacker when.....?"

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Birds Peeing on 05/31/2013 09:55:12 MDT Print View

"If a hen is acting funny/ill, you have to put your fingers in there and root around to see if they're egg bound (an egg stuck in the cloaca)."

So you are saying that not only do birds have an UL method for dealing with water, but their buttholes are multi-use X 3? Very admirable! Maybe they should be the BPL mascot.

"You know you are an ultralight backpacker when.....?"

I smell a good idea for a new thread!

Edited by millonas on 05/31/2013 10:05:47 MDT.