Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » dehydrators

Display Avatars Sort By:
what not
(firestarter01) - F

Locale: Bay Area
dehydrators on 04/23/2013 15:16:30 MDT Print View

Hi all,

So other than the fairly expensive excalibur dehydrators does anyone know of a brand/model that has a timer as well as temp control? I find it a bit hard to believe that I have to spend $250 to get a timer in this day in age :-)

Thanks,

Tom Watkins
(watkins) - F - M
Exact same on 04/23/2013 15:48:59 MDT Print View

I was just looking and thought the exact same thing, the obvious work around would be a mains plug timer.

Also can't believe all units don't just build this in

what not
(firestarter01) - F

tech on 04/23/2013 15:53:54 MDT Print View

we have paper thin handheld devices that connect to space, coffee machines that grind and make coffee with a thousand settings, glasses that overlay data on your eye, and on and on and on. How difficult can a timer be?

just sayin'

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: dehydrators on 04/23/2013 16:48:03 MDT Print View

my dehydrator was a gift, it's the semi-crappy one from "As Seen On TV" but it's barely ok. good enough for cheap quality. didn't cost much either. no where near $250. probably $40-$50 range. Brand RonCo. it's junk, but works good enough.

http://www.shoptheshows.com/detail.php?p=293173&ecid=PID-5580&pa=SEM-GPA&CAWELAID=1714505617&cagpspn=pla

just get a separate timer from Home Depot, Walmart or Ikea. usually the Christmas decoration lights stuff has good timers.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80134449/

what not
(firestarter01) - F

timer on 04/23/2013 17:38:01 MDT Print View

Yeah, I was going to go the timer route. Just wanted to make sure I'm not passing up some cheap obscure brand that may already include one :-)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: dehydrators on 04/23/2013 18:01:30 MDT Print View

I've been using one dehydrator for about thirty years now, and I have never felt the need for a timer. The standard amount of time for one dehydration session is overnight. If I had a really full load of wet food, then it might require more than 24 hours. Timers are kind of unusual if they handle that much time.

A temperature control is a thermostat. Normally, I just want to crank mine up to the maximum practical temperature, and I don't dry any fragile stuff.

Some dehydrators have an internal temperature sensitive fuse, so if you block off too much of the air flow, the temperature goes up and the fuse opens and must be replaced.

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: dehydrators on 04/24/2013 10:21:49 MDT Print View

Built in timer? Not necessarily something you need. The humidity where you live plays in on how long food will take to dry, as well as what you are drying. So...humid with thick cut veggies? Way longer than what a manual might suggest. And so on....

Better to go by actually opening the dehydrator up and checking periodically.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: dehydrators on 04/24/2013 11:03:50 MDT Print View

Before I was gifted my crappy electric dehydrator, I used my gas oven on the lowest temp setting (range 150F - 190F) and left the oven door slightly open.

I also experimented with the "food warmer" bottom drawer of my oven. that worked ok too.

The upside:
1) gas energy cost is cheaper than electric energy
2) in the winter, the oven heat generated is nice that it also warms your home
3) if you like what you are dehydrating, then the entire home will smell like it.

The downside:
1) a bit paranoid about leaving the house or sleeping with the gas oven running.
2) All the clothes, linen, couch pillows, everything in the closet will smell like your food. I don't mind my clothes smelling like peppered smoky beef Jerky, but she does.
3) its cruel to torment the dog with a delicious smell for so many hours.

Tom Keefe
(keth0601)
dehydrator on 04/30/2013 16:01:20 MDT Print View

I also thought the Excaliber dehydrators were terribly overpriced. I ended up getting an LEM 10-tray dehydrator on Amazon for about $160.

dehydrator

They appear to be out of stock now though, and last I looked they were up to $185. Still might be worth keeping an eye on.

Jani Kikuts
(Enginerd) - M

Locale: Southern California
Sedona at Costco on 05/02/2013 21:07:45 MDT Print View

I was looking at the Excalibur but ended up going for the Sedona at Costco. Still almost $300 bones but we have had a ton of fun with it, if the budget allows I would recommend it, nice having the see through door, and ability to run half of it at once if not fully loaded. Costco deal includes some nice extras compared to other vendors. Found here: http://www.costco.com/Tribest-Sedona%C2%AE-Food-Dehydrator.product.100018007.html

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Mon Dieu! the $$$ for a dehydrator! on 05/03/2013 23:13:41 MDT Print View

I can't believe what Cabela's asks for even a "cheap" dehydrator. Mine is 20 years old and cost maybe $25. at the time. SHEESH! 100X inflation in 20 years?

From now on I'll treat my ancient dehydrator with TLC.