Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Gear question about Romania
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: rocks & dogs on 04/25/2013 10:06:42 MDT Print View

"Be careful when thinking like that in the countryside of a place like Romania."

This!

Other countries have very different rules on these sorts of things, and countryside is always different than the city. What you consider a feral out-of-control animal might, according the the local, be just be doing its job. Stick to imaginary rocks unless you want to run afoul of the locals.

Kenneth Houseal
(Homewardbound)
Locals on 04/25/2013 20:50:23 MDT Print View

Yes, locals can get pretty hostile over animal matters. If I ever had to defend my life from a vicious animal while being "out there", I'd immediately get out of dodge. They don't come for retribution in 1's or 2's, they come in mobs. I have unfortunately dealt with it before. However, that's small potatoes. Atop a mountain...none of that matters.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Locals on 04/25/2013 21:07:42 MDT Print View

I spent nearly two weeks in the hills of Romania near the village of Tescani. I wasn't hiking, but spent each day walking the dirt road into the village.

Throwing rocks was very common practice by some of the locals to keep some dogs away. And the Chinese.

There was a girl with us from Korea. One day we were walking over a bridge into town and all of a sudden we heard rocks pinging off the metal bridge. Looking back, there were children from the village yelling and hurling rocks at us. Our contact person said they were yelling at our Korean friend because they thought she was Chinese. Apparently, they didn't take to kindly to her.

Anyways, feral dogs are simply part of life there. Remember, you're the odd duck.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Re: Fuel on 04/25/2013 22:38:07 MDT Print View

I use a Tri Ti alcohol setup, but I like knowing that with 2 of my tent stakes it makes a passable wood stove - thought not as good as a bush buddy.
At least with the Inferno option, I thought the Ti-Tri compared very favorably with the Bushbuddy. In fact with wet wood, I'd rather have the Ti-Tri with it's wider, larger combustion chamber. On alcohol or ESBIT, the Ti-Tri wins hands down.

I haven't been to Romania, but I have read post that the puncture type canisters are the easiest fuel to find in outlying areas.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving