Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
rites of spring
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
rites of spring on 04/22/2013 12:38:13 MDT Print View

it's not a paradox, and certainly not ironic, but maybe a conundrum. How do you enjoy beautiful weather, glorious wildflower displays, and increasing intervals of sunlight without falling prey to the ravages of tree-sex? Summary of my efforts so far:

Claritin: useless
Zyrtec: marginally less useless
Allegra: works in Berkeley, but useless in Walnut Creek
Local Honey: tasty, but otherwise useless
Benadryl: effective, but renders me unconcious
Sudafed: even more zombie-fying

So what do you do for allergies?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: rites of spring on 04/22/2013 13:51:13 MDT Print View

I'm allergic to stupid people, so I try to stay away from them.

Other than that, I don't have any allergies. Sorry to rub it in....

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: rites of spring on 04/22/2013 19:32:57 MDT Print View

+1 Doug,

I have to get out of the city to get away from stupid people, they plug up my head and thoughts, so I have to retreat to the mountains to get it all cleared up again.

On a serious note Sharon, I use to have the problems, but found out later in life that it had more to do with the food I ate, once I changed that the allergies went away, strange I know.

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 04/22/2013 19:35:24 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: rites of spring on 04/23/2013 14:15:09 MDT Print View

I find that many of the non-native ornamental plants/bushes/trees that are planted around cities put off huge amounts of pollen. There are these bushes around town with bright yellow flowers and you can literally see the pollen floating off of them. When I get out into the woods I don't find it to be that bad.

I used to get allergies really badly, but I worked a landscaping job and I was exposed so much that I stop getting it. Maybe try eating a tea-spoon of pollen regularly?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Allegra & Benadryl on 04/23/2013 14:24:33 MDT Print View

I've given myself the trail name of Snot Rocket Express due to my allergies. Allegra is the only drug I've found which takes the edge off without putting me into a coma. I bring some Benadryl as a sleep aid which seems to work better than Allegra. Between the two, I don't have to bother my hiking partners with nasal torpedo launchings every few minutes. I find that I need to drink an extra liter of water in the morning and slightly more during the day.

Edit: Beautiful dog BTW; shepherd mix?

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/23/2013 14:25:12 MDT.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
allergic to on 04/23/2013 14:52:54 MDT Print View

Doug: your post was NOT constructive.*

Jack: That's interesting - any particular type of food? Please don't say chocolate.

Justin: I've always assumed it was oak, grass and mold, but some of the exoctics definitely could be contributing. re pollen, I think that's the justification behind eating raw honey. Maybe there isn't enough to take effect. There was a thing on the news about the dangers of eating large quantities of powders** so I don't think I would try eating by the teaspoonful. Capsules might work.

Ian: Sounds about right. Allie says thanks! I called her an Australian Cattledog x shepherd mix, but really don't know. She's a good hiker in any case.

*and I'm guessing you don't work in government then.
**apparently it's a big thing for teenagers to try eating a spoonful of cinnamon, which then gets into their lungs and causes all sorts of problems. I wonder if Doug and Jack's reaction to stupid people is a secondary effect.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: allergic to on 04/23/2013 15:07:34 MDT Print View

I've heard about eating pollen and it helping some people.
I have never done it myself, so take at your own risk/do your own research! It could be dangerous if done wrong. It's just an idea.
In some of the old boy scout handbooks they recommend eating small amounts of poison oak to gain an immunity (which is incredibly stupid and dangerous, never ever do that). So the concept of intentional exposure to lose allergies has been out there for a while.

Different people might have different reactions to certain trees/plants. Like how you said Allegra works in Berkley and doesn't work in Walnut Creek, there are probably different trees and different plants in each city.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: allergic to on 04/23/2013 16:48:41 MDT Print View

I struggle with allergies every year too. We have too many stinkin' trees in the Southeast & they all puke pollen by the ton. I found that Claritin works pretty well provided that I take it for about two weeks straight before the pollen hits. My doc said it works best after it has built up in your system. I don't know if that's true, but it worked for me.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 04/23/2013 16:49:13 MDT.