Just house cleaning. I have tried a lot of gear and just needed to sale some. No sense in good gear just sitting around not getting used. Took me awhile to figure out what I like and dislike about my shelters. All of these shelters performed very well, but I crossed them off my list for a couple reasons.
- Just don't like bivies or inner nets.
- Getting too old to crawl into a shelter.
- I like a one piece shelter.
- Quick setup, space and easy entry/exit have become more important as I hike more and age.
For solo shelters I'm using the following:
- Yama Mountain Cirriform SW. Used for 4 days last week and performed well. It meets two of the three. Easy setup, ton of space, but not real easy on the entry/exit which is common for the end entry. However I like it better than the 3 I sold and think it will get a lot of use.
- MSR Carbon Reflex 1. Two out of three again. Easy setup, easy exit/entry, but not a lot of space. Weight penalty, but not really material in my opinion.
- The Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 looks interesting and has a lot more space than the MSR CR with minimal weight penalty. Might give it a try or something else.
My hiking style is 10-18 miles a day, so a few extra pounds hasn't effected my performance and makes camp a little easier. Just finding my groove.
Thanks for asking.