Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Trail Designs stove replacement?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Locale: Rainy Portland
Yippee!! on 04/23/2013 22:40:52 MDT Print View

Thanks to your insight, I just ordered a modified starlyte stove for my fosters caldera keg.

I was wondering-will it fit inside the foster's can? I think the reason my original TD stove got smashed is that it fits in to the rolled cone and got loose in my pack. Rubber bands dont always stay put. I always wished the 12-10 stove would fit inside the pot, but I didnt want to grind off the priming ring.

Ill be more gentle this time, I promise.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Yippee!! on 04/24/2013 08:37:51 MDT Print View

Packman Pete, yes, the StarLyte easily fits inside the fosters can. I'll ship yours out today....thank you.

James, I'm overwhelmed by your insight into boiling water and thermodynamics. It takes on a whole new meaning now. Thanks for your time to pass on your knowledge.

"Many alcohol stoves don't work under a cone, not enough air inlets, not enough exhaust. too much heat, too little heat. built in pot stand or something. Chimney stoves work about the best."

My Caldera-Keg acts like a tall chimney. It has an excessive amount of air being drawn up and out it's top holes. I did 2 boil tests using my Venom Super Stove. The stove is normally is easy going and keeps the flames under small diameter pot. The stove burned in a radical fashion right from the word go. It was not in an "overheated mode" right from the start of the test. The amount of air being pulled around the entire stove caused the radical burn. The first test was with the stove sitting on the glass table. The second test the stove was raised to be flush against the bottom of the pot. Both test showed the same visual results. Radical flames up the sides of the pot with some going out of the upper elongated slots of the cone. Those 2 test showed me the amount of air being drawn in and up the tall keg cone.

I then did a test using an Esbitmizer burner with one Esbit cube. It easily boiled 2 cups of 50 degree water. The esbit burned so long it could have boiled a full Foster's pot of water. More on that some other day.

The design of the Keg-cone is such that any stove used has to be set off center due to air coming in where the 2 sides of the cone are joined. My cone has a large opening at it's base where the joint is. A large amount of air enters at that point and immediately goes upward pulling the flames of the stove with it. I've been able to view this flame action using my tempered glass and mirror set-up.

Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Starlyte coming today! on 04/27/2013 11:34:40 MDT Print View

Well, my new stove is 'out for delivery' so I should be playing around with it this afternoon. There are a couple of things I have been wondering...

I am using a standard Foster's can with a titanium Caldera Cone. Should the Starlyte stove be raised up a little bit to decrease the gap between the flame and the bottom of the pot? Or should I snip a little bit off the bottom of the cone to shorten it and reduce the gap? Or should I be looking at other pots, like Zelph's new pot that fits into the cone a little bit deeper?

Or am I just assuming that the difference in height between the original Trail Designs stove and the new Starlyte stove is going to make any difference in stove performance. Maybe they're similar enough that I shouldn't worry.

I lack the patience that some of you have. I like the science and geek factor, but waiting around for everyhing to cool down to try another setup just drives me batty. I'm hoping your experience with this stuff will point me in the right direction and away from my occasional loss of sanity.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Yippee!! on 04/27/2013 11:51:29 MDT Print View

"I was wondering-will it fit inside the foster's can? I think the reason my original TD stove got smashed is that it fits in to the rolled cone and got loose in my pack. Rubber bands dont always stay put. I always wished the 12-10 stove would fit inside the pot, but I didnt want to grind off the priming ring."

Gee, my 12-10 fits perfectly in my Fosters can. The fact the bottom is a little larger than the diameter of the can makes it a perfect lid when packed. Use aluminum foil for the pot lid when heating water. When packing the stove invert it so the bottom of the stove is facing up. Store it in a cuben sack.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Starlyte coming today! on 04/27/2013 11:54:44 MDT Print View

The Trail Designs cone was designed with dimensions for optimal performance. What does that mean? It means it is a compromise between boiling speed and fuel economy. You can make the burner-to-pot spacing more or less depending on which way you want to shift the performance. If you get the normal spacing too small, you may generate more carbon monoxide, increased sooting, or have other similar effects.

--B.G.--

Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Re: Re: Yippee!! on 04/27/2013 12:50:49 MDT Print View

Here's what I did to pack it all up. Take the foster's can and squeeze the top just a little bit to make an oval opening. While you're squeezing it, drop the lid in and it sits on the bottom of the can. Stop squeezing the top and it goes back to round. Coil up the cone and insert it with the narrow point down into the can. You should have about an inch of the cone sticking out. I have an 8-oz fuel bottle that is cylindrical and narrow enough to fit inside the cone. Then I take the 12-10 stove, flip it over, and fit it on top so that the stove opening covers the cap of the fuel bottle, and the outer ring of the stove seals up against the cone. A nice tidy package. I wrapped a rubber band around from bottom to top and stuffed it into my pack. Gently and considerately. Until the rubber band came off and the stove moved around and next time I pulled it out one side was flattened.

I guess I need to find a perfect-sized stuff sack.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Yippee!! on 04/27/2013 12:58:16 MDT Print View

caldera 4

caldera 1

I have since replaced this with a Caldera GVP, which allows the entire cone to be stored inside the Fosters can. Same packing with the cuben sack keeping everything securely inside. I bought the sack from zPacks, but can't remember the size.

Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yippee!! on 04/27/2013 13:48:11 MDT Print View

A picture is worth a thousand words. I did not realize the GVP cone was a different size! I have a Klymit sleeping pad stuff sack that my cook kit can fit into. I like the cuben fiber for sure.