Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Spoon heresy

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: no spoon. on 09/01/2013 11:44:27 MDT Print View

that's such a great idea, "whipped cream pastry chef" style.
I can't stop laughing imaging it. awesome.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
It's just a spoon and fork mated together. on 09/19/2013 18:51:21 MDT Print View

Someone needs to make this in a long handled version. I want one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/781529/rei-campware-long-spoon

With a fork on the other end! Is that so much to ask for? The cashier at REI thought it was a good idea too! ;^)

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Spoon heresy on 09/19/2013 19:26:37 MDT Print View

I use an MSR titanium spoon. Long handle hits the bottom of the PB jar just fine, and can't get lost under the surface when cooking in or eating from my Titan kettle. Light enough, easy to clean, not poke-y. It's my go-to utensil at home and outside.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
from the drawer on 09/19/2013 19:46:06 MDT Print View

Weigh one of those spoons from your drawer before you toss that idea. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did recently and found it 0.1 oz lighter than my MSR Ti spoon with weight-reduction holes and the pokey tool end.

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
I vote lexan spoons on 09/24/2013 01:59:01 MDT Print View

This thread is hilarious, so I must take part!

The lexan soup spoon that I use as my sole eating utensil (beside my hands!) weighs 11 grams

A stainless steel tablespoon from my kitchen set weighs in at 53 grams.

That's a difference of 1.5 ounces that I don't need to carry, so I don't. With that said, I have used random kitchen spoons before on backpacking trips and I somehow survived.

Those thin cafeteria soup spoons would probably be a lot lighter than your standard kitchen set, so if you really want a lightweight metal spoon but don't want spend the money on a titanium one, you could always... um... acquire one of those cafeteria style spoons from a local food establishment.

Edited by dmusashe on 09/24/2013 02:00:29 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
compostable spoons, forks, knives. 6 grams on 03/06/2014 23:22:33 MST Print View

This sandwich place by work has some compostable spoons, forks, knives.
They are about 6.5 inches long, and 6 grams each.
The handles have a long teardrop loop, convenient for a hook or for lighter weight.
On one side it has the brand name WORLDCENTRIC and the other side says: Compostable.
These seems reasonable durable, spoons for soups 200F, and the knife/fork good enough for a few meals. I've tried other lousy corn husk brand that break off in your food. These seem to be ok.

Found their website. Also interesting is the 30% talc. And 2 years if you stick it in your garden dirt.

6g (0.21 oz) not bad. In contrast the Light my Fire spork is .2 oz

I was thinking, on your last meal in the field, you can bury the utensil in the dirt or along with the poo, knowing that in 2 years or less it would biodegrade.

http://worldcentric.org/biocompostables/utensils/utensils-200F

Utensils - 200F

Our new utensils are made from TPLA (70% non-GMO PLA and 30% talc.) They are also heat resistant up to 200 degrees F, and are certified under ASTM-6400 standards and now have BPI Certification.

World Centric TPLA utensils are compostable and biodegradable, and will take 120+ days to compost in a commercial composting facility. Home composting is not recommended and it may take 1-2 yrs to compost in a home composting system.

Most current utensils on the market made from plant starch are NOT compostable since current technology does not allow for manufacturing plant starch utensils without adding some plastic fillers. Since these plant starch utensils do not meet compostability standards they are normally priced cheaper.

*The Tear Drop shaped opening in the handle of our cutlery is the trademark of World Centric Corporation.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/06/2014 23:26:49 MST.