Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Spoon heresy

Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Spoon heresy on 04/22/2013 09:01:57 MDT Print View

So I've tried maybe 7-10 different utensils, including a couple wooden spoons, titanium and aluminum spoons, and plastic spoons. Currently I'm using a spoon from a froyo place, but it's still not quite right. I'm really close to just grabbing a mismatch from my silverware drawer and making it a dedicated hiking spoon. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and how you've dealt with the guilt of those extra grams. ;)

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
What qualities do you need in a spoon? on 04/22/2013 09:12:22 MDT Print View

that is the question you need to answer.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Spoon heresy on 04/22/2013 10:06:41 MDT Print View

I hunted down a folding Ti spoon from China via eBay. Strange as it sounds, you can find folding Ti sporks easily, but I could not find a distributor of folding spoons anywhere in the USA. I considered distributing them myself.

The goal was to have something with a bowl big enough for soups that would fit in a 450ml mug. The long handled spoons are great for getting to the bottom corners of a dehydrated dinner bag, but the bowls are small and worthless for liquids. Sporks are good for pasta, but the bowls are borderline for liquids.

Long handled utensils are always in the way and ready to jab some thin bit of UL cloth when jammed in a pack filled to capacity. I tried the Light My Fire Ti spoon/fork and that was a pain to pack; it needed a sheath to be pack friendly.

Other than that, a good old plastic spoon like the Campware models sold at REI for $1 are light (0.3oz) and will deliver the load. They are good for cooking and non-stick friendly. I see they are offering an 8.5" version $2 in case you need a backup paddle ;)

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Re: What qualities do you need in a spoon? on 04/22/2013 11:24:24 MDT Print View

Apparently the balance and curvature of a typical teaspoon holds appeal for me. (I can't believe I'm analyzing this). The UL spoons I've tried have a flat profile, a wierdly shaped bowl, or both.

Dale, could you say more about the LMF spork? I was actually looking at that one b/c of the curve of it. Apart from the packing issue, did it work well?

Edited by spelt on 04/22/2013 11:25:33 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: What qualities do you need in a spoon? on 04/22/2013 11:50:18 MDT Print View

"Dale, could you say more about the LMF spork? I was actually looking at that one b/c of the curve of it. Apart from the packing issue, did it work well?"

It's just a spoon and fork mated together. You do get more of a real fork and a real spoon. The knife feature is so-so. The Ti version is of course much more reliable than the plastic model, but isn't non-stick friendly. It is a beast in a pack full of SUL fabrics and too long to fit in most solo-sized cook pots. I still have some plastic ones I got free at an event and they live in the car camping/picnic kit.

All said and done, you need to get the stuff from the dish to your mouth without wearing it. I like spoons vs. sporks and chopsticks are handy for stuff like pasta and can be used for emergency tinder too :)

My kitchen toolbox:
UL kitchen tools

Edited by dwambaugh on 04/22/2013 11:50:54 MDT.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Spoon on 04/22/2013 12:02:28 MDT Print View

A spoon is the only utensil I carry. I've never needed a fork for any of my freezer-bag cooking so the Light My Fire Spork was out as overkill. Also - I never could figure out why they put a knife on one edge of the fork when you clearly would need another utensil to hold whatever it is that you're cutting. Besides, my mother taught me to never put a knife in my mouth.

I have a couple of Ti spoons, but my favorite is a long-handled version that's polished. Ti is a great substance, but it's a bit "gritty" unless it's polished. One of the qualities I look for in a spoon is how smoothly it slides out of my mouth once I've relieved it of its contents.

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
Spoon on 04/22/2013 12:11:08 MDT Print View

I used a metal tea spoon from the kitchen for decades. Somehow I survived the excess weight….
Then Lexan spoons hit the market and I haven’t looked back, but I have learned to be careful with Lexan, one morning I partially melted the tip of a Lexan spoon when flipping fry bread.
My current spoons are Coghlans like this one –

http://www.redflarekits.com/3040

Cost me all of 48 cents at WalMart. I haven’t weighed it yet, but they are quite light. Maybe even a little too light, it doesn’t seem as robust as my old Lexan spoon ( the one with the slightly melted tip ) that I somehow lost recently.

You could slowly heat a Lexan spoon and reshape the handle to your taste, but I think you’re stuck with the bowl shape.

Dale, I don’t know how a feller could manage with a short and possibly even folding eating utensils. How the devil do you dig out and spread peanut butter from a jar in freezing weather with such a flimsy, short tool?

Spreading peanut butter?

D S
(smoke) - F
Dale - What kind of knife is that? on 04/22/2013 13:32:40 MDT Print View

Hey Dale, I want one of those knives/sheath you show in the pic. Please post info!

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Knife on 04/22/2013 13:51:29 MDT Print View

Dean,

I have one of those knives in my "Car Camping" bin - I bought it at a kitchen store (not Williams-Sonoma, but the kind that you find in a strip mall).

Note - if you find one you'll want to sharpen it before taking it with you.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Here you go, Dean on 04/22/2013 15:11:26 MDT Print View

http://www.rei.com/search?query=little+vickie+knife

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Spoon on 04/22/2013 15:57:16 MDT Print View

+1 on Kevin's long-handled polished titanium spoon.

"The long handled spoons are great for getting to the bottom corners of a dehydrated dinner bag, but the bowls are small and worthless for liquids."

The spoon's bowl is a little small, but it holds more than it looks like it would, and if I want to move liquids faster, I can always just drink or pour right from the food bowl.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Edited by sbill9000 on 04/22/2013 16:02:32 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: What qualities do you need in a spoon? on 04/22/2013 16:10:13 MDT Print View

I'll coast on Dale's picture: a GSI spoon (eg blue at left), reviewed here and a Victorinox knife (at right) but with a straight (non-serrated) edge. Since there are two of us, that's two spoons, one V knife with a sharp point for cutting bread, sausage, cheese etc, and one V knife with the point rounded off for scraping butter and jam out of the Nalge pot.

Cheers

jason quick
(jase)

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne
Long Ti spoon is winning ATM on 04/22/2013 20:04:29 MDT Print View

Hiya

I too have many spoons and spoon types, some good, some epic failures.

At the moment, it's the long handled StS Ti spoon that is winning for me.

It is slightly larger than teaspoon size, which works well for me with my MYOG cozy and keeps my hand away from the tops of ziplock bags and stuff.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Ikea fork on 04/22/2013 21:33:33 MDT Print View

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90192962/

I use ikea kids utensils and plates or bowls when hiking with a group. Light weight and dirt cheap and most importantly already lying around my house.

Edited by GregF on 04/22/2013 21:35:23 MDT.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Modified REI Campware soup spoon on 04/22/2013 23:21:12 MDT Print View

I, too, have tried a variety of spoons, sporks, chopsticks, etc. in a variety of materials, lengths, and foldability.

Finally settled on the REI Campware soup spoon, standard length. I cut it down, and rounded off the sharp end, to just fit inside my Evernew 900 ml pot without falling to the bottom (I hate that!), and life was good.

http://www.rei.com/product/781525/rei-campware-soup-spoon

Then I bought the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri (awesome!), but now the rolled-up Ti-Tri and the spoon won't both fit in the pot at the same time, so my custom spoon rides elsewhere :-(

The REI Campware utensils are made from Acetal (Polyoxymethylene, Delrin, Celcon, Duracon) that softens at 121°C and melts around 162-175°C.

If that Coghlans spoon is made from Lexan (I have my doubts, the package says Duracon and it looks like Duracon), it starts softening starting at 128°C and melts around 155°C.
http://www.coghlans.com/products/lexan-cutlery-set-9450

-- Rex

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Folding Ti Spork or Lexan soup spoon on 04/23/2013 03:16:03 MDT Print View

I love my folding Ti spork. It fits nicely in my evernew .9L short pot. I was very bummed when I tried to order another one from REI using my dividend this year and found out they stopped carying them. I like it for doing hot meals.

that said, for cold meals, one of the child size LMF sporks works fine.

For the OP's original question, sounds like you might like one of the "old fashioned" lexan soup spoons. Yep, they used to make all kinds of utensils from that stuff, teaspoons, table spoons, serving spoons, and soup spoons. You might try looking for one of the soup spoons.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Jetboil on 04/23/2013 04:17:43 MDT Print View

I like the jetboil utensils, 1.3 oz for all 3 plus they extend to get all the goodness at the bottom of the pot

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
MSR on 04/23/2013 04:57:52 MDT Print View

I dig my MSR folding spoon. Full length when opened, and .35 ounces.

http://www.rei.com/product/849664/msr-folding-spoon

spelt !
(spelt) - F

wow on 04/23/2013 08:07:39 MDT Print View

I seriously did not expect so many replies to a thread about spoons. This place is something else, ha. Thank you all for your suggestions! I think the MSR folding spoon and the folding Ti spoon look the best to me. Backcountry carries the MSR and I need a drybag from them anyway for a project, so I'll add one to my order. If neither of those work, then a Lexan one or the REI campware will be the next experiment. Awesome.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Spoons on 04/23/2013 08:17:37 MDT Print View

Ultralight Designs has a couple of nice products (including the elusive folding Ti spork). Bob is great to work with. Although it doesn't appear that he carries them right now, I'm pretty sure this is where I bought my polished Ti long-handled spoon.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: MSR on 04/23/2013 08:27:49 MDT Print View

I've got the same MSR folding spoon, Travis. I love that it fits in my SP700 with the rest of my kitchen gear. No more letting my spork disappear in the bottom of my food bag or get stuck in with my tent stakes. For everything I eat on the trail a spoon is sufficient, I can't remember ever really needing the tines on my spork.

Adam

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Jetboil on 04/23/2013 09:07:04 MDT Print View

Doug,

Jetboil utensils look tempting. Looks like they might be food traps though ... have any difficulty getting them thoroughly clean?

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Spoon heresy on 04/23/2013 09:53:19 MDT Print View

I've known for a while that I'm odd and nonpareil.

I don't use utensils. I go with no cook foods. I leverage my utility knife to cut a smoked salmon package, most of the time it has a pre-cut pull tab, I finger-rip the ready-to-eat chicken in a foil pouch, and spam singles foil packet squeeze it out and eat it like a sandwich. I use my teeth to cut.

I use the single servings of jelly, jam and Nutella but instead of spreading with a knife, I break off bagel bread pieces and dip in the single servings.

One time I experimented with disposable chop sticks, to eat left-over rice mixed-in with ground beef in a vacuumed sealed pouch, that was ok and I buried the biodegradable wooden chopstick when I was done.

I used powder drink mix in a bottle and I shook the bottle instead of spoon stir in a cup.

In many cases, you can pre-cut up your food at home in bite size pieces such as Jerky, and plan to eliminate a kitchen knife.

On another old thread, many people mentioned they prefer to keep the kitchen knife separate from the utility knife to avoid cross contamination.

It depends what's on the menu, how it's prepared, and how will you eat it.

I don't even use a plate.

Edited by RogerDodger on 04/23/2013 09:54:44 MDT.

Leslie Erickson
(lesliegerickson@gmail.com)
Chop sticks/spork combo on 04/23/2013 10:49:12 MDT Print View

I saw this reviewed and am intrigued. Thinking of replacing the spork I normally use with it. Only thing, it's a bit heavy, I even wonder if the weight (4.1 oz) could be a typo. Thoughts?

http://www.rei.com/product/830806/gsi-outdoors-titanium-kung-foon-and-chopsticks-set

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Chop sticks/spork combo on 04/23/2013 11:14:47 MDT Print View

Leslie, I've seen that in person and its got a pretty bulky metal case that may be included in the weight. I've been on a trip with a guy who has one twice. The first time was right after he got it and he had the whole case and used the chopsticks with the spork to make a super long utensil. The second time I only saw him use the spork part without the chopsticks. I think it would be lighter to pick up an extra pair of chopsticks the next time you eat Chinese food and buy a separate long-handled spoon.

Adam

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Re: Re: Jetboil on 04/23/2013 11:24:29 MDT Print View

On the trail the slide is hard to clean unless you have a brush of some sort, otherwise it's not bad

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Followup on 05/02/2013 10:54:29 MDT Print View

Did you know Kupilka made silverware? Neither did until I stopped at the outdoor store to check out their spoon selection. For $10 I got the whole set. The large spoon weighs 17 grams and feels more like a regular spoon in the hand than any other I've tried. It's not collapsible, but I've taken to carrying my spoon in my hip pocket anyway, so that's not really an issue. Below are a couple photos.

compare1

compare2

compare3

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Followup on 05/03/2013 16:21:46 MDT Print View

Spelt -- Nice set of spoons.

My set below. Not happy with the long handle, can't fit enough in the bowl. The short handle is better scoop, but the handle is well, short. The green one is the odd ball, but pretty useless. It came with a bunch (group) of kiwi fruit.spoonification

Steve Bennett
(PackRat) - F
Spoon on 05/03/2013 22:26:22 MDT Print View

I have settled on a large spoon/fork combo from Light My Fire.

It was the larges spoon I could comfortably fit in my mouth. The large size makes it easy slurp soups and lets me shovel food into my mouth before it gets cold on Winter trips. The wide handle also makes it easier to hold when your hands are shaking from hunger or cold.

I cut the fork end off as I never use it and it kept trying to poke my gear.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Lexan spoon on 05/03/2013 23:08:19 MDT Print View

I have a Lexan spoon exactly like the dark blue spoon on the left in Dale W's photo except it has a long handle.

Lexan doean't get hot, it is nearly imposible to break and some have a nice long handle. The spoon resides in my right side pocket next to my stove bag. (Yes, I attatch side pockets to all my backpacks.)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Dale - What kind of knife is that? on 05/04/2013 07:45:52 MDT Print View

That knife is the Victorinox Little Vickie. It is the 3.5" Victorinox paring knife with a sheath added. The total weight is 1oz. REI sells them: http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knife

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Flimsy folding spoon! on 05/04/2013 08:19:45 MDT Print View

Robert Van Putten asked, "Dale, I don’t know how a feller could manage with a short and possibly even folding eating utensils. How the devil do you dig out and spread peanut butter from a jar in freezing weather with such a flimsy, short tool?"

The folding Ti spoon isn't particularly flimsy and my goal was to have something that would fit in a 450ml mug along with a windscreen and Esbit wing stove. I don't carry jars of peanut butter, so shoveling oatmeal, pasta and soup are the most rigorous tasks I demand of it. It is far stronger than the Light My Fire plastic spoon shown and would hold its own with or better the Lexan one, but I haven't done a spoon destruction test :)

For tough and universal use, I would go with a simple stamped stainless steel spoon of tablespoon size. A 60 second search in the spoon bin at Goodwill would come up with a handful at $0.29 each.

Steve A. Clarke
(petuni) - MLife

Locale: Quispamsis
Msr on 05/04/2013 19:42:39 MDT Print View

My favorite spoon is the ti long handle spoon. It fits in my kitchen ditty bag but does stick up higher than my stove. I'm going to look into the Msr folding spoon, it looks promising!

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
spoon on 05/07/2013 18:30:52 MDT Print View

My favorite is the middle sized Sea to Summit AlphaLight spoon. The bowl is a normal shape, the right size for me, a little smaller than a table spoon, not the squared off bowls on the long and short ones from that maker. I prefer buying anodized aluminum over Ti.

6 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches, .3 oz, 9.6 grams, about $7

Edited by heyyou on 05/07/2013 18:37:20 MDT.

Robb Watts
(rwatts) - M

Locale: Western PA
Favorite spoon on 05/28/2013 19:24:40 MDT Print View

My current favorite spoon is a white, long handled lexan spoon (REI?). Reaches into the bottom of freeze dried meal bags. Kind of a pain to pack, it kind of has to ride alone and seems to always get separated from the rest of the cooking gear - can take a while to find. Misplaced it on a fall trip in 2011 - found it last summer about 100 feet from the camp site where it was lost.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Favorite spoon on 08/18/2013 23:25:49 MDT Print View

My preferred style is not to depend on a trail utensil. However, I am a geek, and like a good deal on items I don't need. at the 73 cents price, I got one of each.

These are at the REI Outlet store, and the second one (Orange) is on Deal of the Week.

$0.73 on sale (now $1.73)
GSI Outdoors Telescoping Spoon BLACK - 2012 Closeout
6.5 - 10.75 x 2.8 inches
1.3 ounces
http://www.rei.com/product/860575/gsi-outdoors-telescoping-spoon-2012-closeout
FYI: this one is HUGE. it's a 4 oz measuring cup on a stick :)

$0.73 on sale (now $1.73)
GSI Outdoors Telescoping Spoon ORANGE - 2012 Closeout
3.9 (expands to 6) x 1.6 x 0.6 inches
0.3 ounce
http://www.rei.com/product/860582/gsi-outdoors-telescoping-spoon-2012-closeout

Edited by RogerDodger on 08/27/2013 15:51:19 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Favorite spoon on 08/27/2013 14:49:15 MDT Print View

Right now I am using the short-handled titanium spoon. I don't eat out of bags so don't need the long handle. I don't mind that the bowl is smallish. I like the flattened end to the spoon. It cleans out my pot a lot better. It fits inside my titanium pot or inside my plastic cup or plastic screw-top jar. I have a plastic folding spoon, too, but have not tried it yet.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Lexan. on 08/27/2013 17:54:56 MDT Print View

I'm with Robert V. P....I use the same lexan spoon he does, and am completely content. I like the deep bowl on it, and it has some good capacity for scooping. It's an odd size for measuring though, being 2/3 of a Tablespoon.

I carefully shave the "sprue" line off my lexan ware, or use sandpaper, until its nice and smooth. That line between the top and bottom molds can be sharp.

Edited by Bolster on 08/27/2013 17:55:45 MDT.

Thomas Willard
(TomW) - M

Locale: Mystic, CT
Spoon on 08/31/2013 11:24:16 MDT Print View

I have a long handled S2S ti spoon. When I was using a canister stove, I stored it in my FBC cozy. When I went to a system where everything fits in my pot, I filed it down to fit inside (shaved 0.2oz off the weight). It's not long handled anymore and sometimes I get food on my knuckles when I stir but I do like knowing it's inside my kit.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
no spoon. on 08/31/2013 16:57:56 MDT Print View

If you do freezer bag cooking, kneading works to mix things up.

tear the bottom corner off ziplock and squeeze the food into your mouth works pretty good.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: no spoon. on 09/01/2013 11:44:27 MDT Print View

that's such a great idea, "whipped cream pastry chef" style.
I can't stop laughing imaging it. awesome.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
It's just a spoon and fork mated together. on 09/19/2013 18:51:21 MDT Print View

Someone needs to make this in a long handled version. I want one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/781529/rei-campware-long-spoon

With a fork on the other end! Is that so much to ask for? The cashier at REI thought it was a good idea too! ;^)

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Spoon heresy on 09/19/2013 19:26:37 MDT Print View

I use an MSR titanium spoon. Long handle hits the bottom of the PB jar just fine, and can't get lost under the surface when cooking in or eating from my Titan kettle. Light enough, easy to clean, not poke-y. It's my go-to utensil at home and outside.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
from the drawer on 09/19/2013 19:46:06 MDT Print View

Weigh one of those spoons from your drawer before you toss that idea. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did recently and found it 0.1 oz lighter than my MSR Ti spoon with weight-reduction holes and the pokey tool end.

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

I vote lexan spoons on 09/24/2013 01:59:01 MDT Print View

This thread is hilarious, so I must take part!

The lexan soup spoon that I use as my sole eating utensil (beside my hands!) weighs 11 grams

A stainless steel tablespoon from my kitchen set weighs in at 53 grams.

That's a difference of 1.5 ounces that I don't need to carry, so I don't. With that said, I have used random kitchen spoons before on backpacking trips and I somehow survived.

Those thin cafeteria soup spoons would probably be a lot lighter than your standard kitchen set, so if you really want a lightweight metal spoon but don't want spend the money on a titanium one, you could always... um... acquire one of those cafeteria style spoons from a local food establishment.

Edited by dmusashe on 09/24/2013 02:00:29 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

compostable spoons, forks, knives. 6 grams on 03/06/2014 23:22:33 MST Print View

This sandwich place by work has some compostable spoons, forks, knives.
They are about 6.5 inches long, and 6 grams each.
The handles have a long teardrop loop, convenient for a hook or for lighter weight.
On one side it has the brand name WORLDCENTRIC and the other side says: Compostable.
These seems reasonable durable, spoons for soups 200F, and the knife/fork good enough for a few meals. I've tried other lousy corn husk brand that break off in your food. These seem to be ok.

Found their website. Also interesting is the 30% talc. And 2 years if you stick it in your garden dirt.

6g (0.21 oz) not bad. In contrast the Light my Fire spork is .2 oz

I was thinking, on your last meal in the field, you can bury the utensil in the dirt or along with the poo, knowing that in 2 years or less it would biodegrade.

http://worldcentric.org/biocompostables/utensils/utensils-200F

Utensils - 200F

Our new utensils are made from TPLA (70% non-GMO PLA and 30% talc.) They are also heat resistant up to 200 degrees F, and are certified under ASTM-6400 standards and now have BPI Certification.

World Centric TPLA utensils are compostable and biodegradable, and will take 120+ days to compost in a commercial composting facility. Home composting is not recommended and it may take 1-2 yrs to compost in a home composting system.

Most current utensils on the market made from plant starch are NOT compostable since current technology does not allow for manufacturing plant starch utensils without adding some plastic fillers. Since these plant starch utensils do not meet compostability standards they are normally priced cheaper.

*The Tear Drop shaped opening in the handle of our cutlery is the trademark of World Centric Corporation.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/06/2014 23:26:49 MST.