Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
luxuries?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kim Grant
(Kimberlymae) - F
luxuries? on 05/07/2007 20:36:38 MDT Print View

I'm certain everyone has a secret luxury thing or two they carry. What are they? Mine are baby wipes and coffee.

-K

Edited by Kimberlymae on 05/07/2007 20:45:23 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Luxuries? What's that? on 05/07/2007 21:02:06 MDT Print View

Valrhona chocolate and chocolate coated espresso beans

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
luxuries on 05/08/2007 07:13:10 MDT Print View

chocolate and a ula amigo that doubles as a shower

Gabriel August
(gaugust) - F

Locale: Penn's Woods
RE: luxuries on 05/08/2007 10:32:46 MDT Print View

sometimes an mp3 player (depending on the trip length)

wee bit of dewar's scotch whiskey :) (works better than benedryl to get to sleep)

Erik Sund
(sundek) - F
RE: luxuries on 05/08/2007 11:35:21 MDT Print View

I guess I'm something of a sybarite by UL backpacking standards. I carry a whole load of luxuries aimed at tricking myself into getting some sleep (never an easy task for me, even at home after a long day's work).

* Lightweight silk long underwear top and bottom ("pajamas")
* Small open/closed cell pillow with cloth cover
* Small supply of bourbon
* A few wet wipes

Sometimes I also take a small mp3 player like an ipod shuffle. Collectively, these extravagances come to over half of a pound, not including the whiskey. The long underwear does at least do double duty as an extra layer of clothing and a means to keep my sleeping bag clean.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: RE: luxuries on 05/08/2007 12:31:56 MDT Print View

I use a Creative Zen Nano mp3 player. 1.2 oz and a whole day of music. I love this when I want to get into a zone on the trail. I don't use it all the time but sometimes, hearing some sweet tunes while cruising throught the forest is just the best!

I also love my Advil PM. It's a comfy mattress and a big pillow in one tiny pill!

For shorter trips, some fine Tequila or a bottle of wine in a Platypus is a real treat.

The ultimate though, is my son Henry and a few of his favorite toys. Bringing him into the backcountry is my ultimate luxury. :-)

Gail Lusk
(AlohaTink) - F

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!
Too many on 05/08/2007 16:39:44 MDT Print View

Hammock- 1 lb version
Baby Wipes
Pillow

but as I grow older it feels more like the above list falls into a "essential" category over a luxury item... LOL

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: luxuries? on 05/08/2007 20:07:08 MDT Print View

A small 0.9 oz hairbrush to detangle my long hair. Sure, I could detangle with my finger tips, but the brush makes it so much easier!

A small (0.6 oz) pack towel, a 1.6 oz 'Mapdana' bandana, and a 2 oz (large size) Gladware bowl and lid. They're all multi-use, but really nice for washing up before going to sleep at night when it's hot and humid. I'm thinking about using a smaller bandana and a smaller bowl to save another 1-2 ounces.

My biggest luxury though is taking a bit more clothing and insulation than I think I will really 'have' to have for the expected temperatures. I could probably save another 8 oz to a pound there, but I like being warm!

Pam

Paul Luther
(eredluin) - M

Locale: Northeast
Luxuries on 05/08/2007 20:15:19 MDT Print View

Aye, single malt for me,and more than a wee bit:)

BUT, I hadn't thought of wine in a Platy. Nice idea Doug.
Paul

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
re: on 05/09/2007 06:11:06 MDT Print View

Single cup size gourmet hot chocolate mix from land-o-lakes sipped while watching the sun-set.

Dave

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Luxuries on 05/09/2007 16:27:54 MDT Print View

A .5L Nalgene wide mouth hard lexan bottle, at 3.2 oz. It means I never have to get out from under my sleeping bag (or quilt) at night, no matter what my bladder says. And there's probably a lighter bottle out there that will work as well.

Janet Brewster
(jgranite25) - F

Locale: Lake Tahoe
luxuries vs. necessities on 05/10/2007 14:37:04 MDT Print View

Sorry, but chocolate (GOOD chocolate) is a necessity, not a luxury!

I bring a small packtowel and small vial of Dr. Bronner's soap so I can go to sleep clean. And I bring a pair of Teva flip-flops -- they're extremely lightweight, and even though my boots aren't heavy it's really nice to get out of them at the end of the day. Next will be resoling them with 5.10 rubber!

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
Re: luxuries on 05/10/2007 15:28:17 MDT Print View

I agree with the Bronner's. Clean to bed.

And clean(ish) sleeping clothes. A tshirt and boxers, or longsleeve T and LJs if cold.

Hammock - there is a small weight penalty vs. ground sleeping. Oh but the sleep.

Oh yes, I also agree with a nip of tequila. 100% blue agave - personal favorite is Cazadores.

A small aluminum frying pan and oil, mostly just for brook trout, wild leeks and stumper mushrooms.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: luxuries? on 05/11/2007 12:17:46 MDT Print View

My SlingLight ChairThe SlingLight Eight

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Re: Re: luxuries? on 05/11/2007 13:16:09 MDT Print View

Really Dennis? You carry a 1 pound chair? I've looked at these before (online) and folks that use them seem to rave about them. What makes this so good that you'd want to haul one when backpacking? The rocks and meadows behind the hikers in the photo look plenty comfy to me...

Not knocking your luxury at all- I'm just curious!

Thanks,
Doug

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Re: luxuries? on 05/11/2007 14:09:27 MDT Print View

Doug,

With the snow in the background, green equals damp. I've had my SlingLight for going on 22 years and, when I decide to carry the extra weight, it provides comfort for my old bones in the extreme. I most always leave the headrest at home and use a jacket or some such piece of gear instead. The chair may weigh a pound but it's like my MB Thermawrap: it feels sooo light for so much comfort.

Also Doug,please remember, I'm a Californian from Marin County, where we keep the Hot Tub hot, the Champagne Cold and the Peacock feathers handy.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
PNW lux on 05/11/2007 14:14:06 MDT Print View

Unlike those of us in the Northwest where we let the volcanoes keep the hot springs hot, keep the Pinot Noir room temp. and keep the REI catalog handy.

Edited by kdesign on 05/11/2007 14:15:50 MDT.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: luxury on 05/11/2007 14:36:24 MDT Print View

A 0.02oz strip of tough and scratchy duct tape to cushion the grip of my bare carbon fibre hiking pole. But only during winter time. Just kidding. I use a full-length sleeping pad (but only a "petite size",ha!)and a double-wall tent since I cannot stand condensation. Did I mention not sawing off the handle of my tooth brush? And that is independent of season!!
Cheers,
Sven

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Too many on 05/12/2007 00:31:59 MDT Print View

My luxuries. A 4gb Sandisk m260 mp3 player with many audiobooks, my hiking partner walks about 1/2 hour ahead of me - I can't keep up with him, so I listen to books while I walk. I can squeeze easily 20 unabridged books on the player. It uses only one AAA battery - a lithium battery lasts about 3 days, and they're much lighter than alkaline batteries. Another luxury, a McMurdo Fastfind PLB (11 ounces) which is my Linus blanket on the hike. And yes, finally, I admit to carrying bear spray can. Call me the paranoid backpacker. I hike the High Sierra Trail, am doing a 16 day round trik hike this July-August.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: luxuries? on 05/12/2007 04:32:56 MDT Print View

Right on Denis- NOW I get it...It's a Marin County thing! Peacock feathers and Slinglight chairs. :-)

Seriously, those chairs look cool.