Forum Index » On the Web » Headline: "Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths?"

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Change the subject on 06/27/2013 09:02:23 MDT Print View

No one is taking your guns away.

This whole issue is a distraction so you won't notice that they are slowly eroding the educational system and other things.

And a psychological program to sell more guns. I bet the NRA secretly contributes to politicians that advocate gun regulations : )

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Headline: "Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths?" on 06/27/2013 10:51:37 MDT Print View

Simple...

We can kill each other... we just don't want anybody else to kill us.

Its like brothers I know. They can fight each other- its ok. But when somebody else messes with one of them, he's gonna have to fight both of them.

Edited by WoodenWizard on 06/27/2013 10:53:50 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Change the subject on 06/27/2013 11:37:23 MDT Print View

Right, and no one is spying on the American public because they said so.

Of course they want to take our guns away. They have to appear as moderates and take it one step at a time to get any votes. They want the second amendment to consist of single shot rifles locked up at the shooting range with excessive fees and regulations that prevent everyone but the wealthy and elite from owning a firearm. Admitting their true intentions would be political suicide.

Don't be so gullible.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Ever notice on 06/27/2013 15:06:07 MDT Print View

Gun fanatics are generally right wing supporters of using tax money to build a military that no country on earth can match, and thus they can never defeat.

Hilarious. Delusional too.

On one day they go 'Rah Rah Rah, USA, we are so strong and great !'

The next they are philosophical protectors of our freedoms from that same government they empowered to weild the largest military on earth that no sane country would battle.

Edited by redmonk on 06/27/2013 15:16:21 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/28/2013 09:31:36 MDT Print View

"Gun fanatics are generally right wing supporters of using tax money to build a military that no country on earth can match, and thus they can never defeat.

Hilarious. Delusional too."

Yeah...so delusional that it ended the cold war.
Ronald Reagan famously said, “We maintain the peace through our strength; weakness only invites aggression.” He was so right. People thought he was a hawk, but in reality, he was quite the opposite. Reagan was so concerned about a nuclear holocaust because he knew there were no winners in a war like that. Do you really think Russia would have even agreed to talk to us if we had not scared the $h!t out of them by building up our military? Anyone who has ever stood up to a schoolyard bully knows exactly what i'm talking about. The only thing they respect is someone more powerful than themselves. Thank God Reagan knew that essential truth and acted on it with courage, even when bleeding hearts like you said he was a war monger. If he had not, we might not even be here today. But instead, we live in a much safer world because his "peace through strength" philosophy worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-p-Nuu8hYQ

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/28/2013 09:33:45 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Headline: "This crap is Chaff" on 06/28/2013 16:43:47 MDT Print View

So move it over there.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/28/2013 23:17:19 MDT Print View

Ken said:
"This crap is chaff, So move it over there."

Figures..anytime someone has a differing opinion, it is ridiculed by all the Liberals on here. Below is an actual message I received today about this thread...it is one of FIVE I got from different members voicing their support and thanks for someone having the courage to stand up and tell the truth for a change:

"Matthew, I am no longer a member of BPL, but just read your post on Ronald Reagan, and you are my new 'posting hero'! I used to get into it with a few folks on this site, but found myself outnumbered considerably. It's good to hear a sane voice in this bunch!"

Oh, by the way..this site you all love so much? It was started by someone who exercises their second amendment rights. If you feel that strongly about the issue, why are you people still posting here and giving your money to it/him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM6Q7m-HFj4

ryan

PS--Knowing Ryan is a responsible gun owner makes me want to support the site even more! Keep it up, Ryan! I just renewed and will recommend this site to all my second amendment hiker friends!

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/28/2013 23:49:42 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: "chaff" on 06/29/2013 00:18:17 MDT Print View

Saying this thread is chaff is not ridiculing your opinion, it's just saying the whole thread belongs in a different forum. What's being discussed has nothing to do with the stated purpose of this particular heading ("On The Web - personal websites or other Web resources that will be informative to lightweight backpackers"), ergo it is CHAFF.

But I suppose a certain amount of paranoia is not surprising from someone who is convinced that the current administration, or even the previous one, is equivalent to Hitler, Stalin, and the rest of the guys whose pictures you posted, (really? have you ever even KNOWN someone who lived in a country run by one of those guys? you REALLY think your situation in the U.S. is equivalent? oh, please) and is coming to take all our guns away. And yes, I probably just ridiculed your opinions, but you've been essentially ridiculing plenty of other people's opinions that coincide with mine, so I figure we're even.

And that's what we do in Chaff when someone takes a position...either side with them or against them. I don't see it happening more by one side than the other, though sometimes there are more people on one side of an issue than the other. But being only human, I think we all tend to see the other side as ridiculing us and our valid opinions, whereas we are just stating the truth on our side and correcting the other side's misconceptions. That tendency is probably no different between liberals and conservatives.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 01:41:04 MDT Print View

"But I suppose a certain amount of paranoia is not surprising from someone who is convinced that the current administration, or even the previous one, is equivalent to Hitler, Stalin, and the rest of the guys whose pictures you posted,"

Wrong thread there DK. That was over in the actual Chaff section. Let's keep it straight here, or do you intend to make your argument by researching all my previous posts and picking and choosing sentences that fit YOUR narrative, rather than what people are ACTUALLY saying IN THE CORRECT CONTEXT? LOL

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/29/2013 01:43:39 MDT.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 06:29:35 MDT Print View

Not all gun owners are paranoid, but a lot of the paranoid are gun owners.

If you want to be amused, or horrified, take a gander at OkCupid* sometime and see how many people would rather lose the right to vote than their precious firearms. It doesn't even make sense according to their own mantra. "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns!" So? "Outlaws" have guns now. If guns are important to you you're going to find a way to have some, illegal or no. "When voting is outlawed, only outlaws will vote!" Er, no. Something doesn't work there.

*OKCupid is ostensibly a personals site that matches people based on hundreds of ridiculous questions, but more accurately it is a repository for people's unsavory opinions on all sorts of things.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 08:04:07 MDT Print View

Well, yeah, I am guilty of bringing in material from another thread, but it seemed pertinent. I was trying to address your previous post in this thread where it sounded like you felt personally persecuted, but then I just couldn't seem to stop myself. That's what happens when I stay up too late, I guess.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: America's morons on 06/29/2013 08:17:59 MDT Print View

Well Matthew you are aware that two threads are going on about this crap right now as you are posting to both. This has always been a Chaff worthy thread. It has nothing to do with how I feel and what I think.

No I did not read your posts. I always try to skip them as you never add anything of value. You ranting ............

Edited by kthompson on 06/29/2013 08:18:49 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 08:54:57 MDT Print View

"Do you really think Russia would have even agreed to talk to us if we had not scared the $h!t out of them by building up our military?"

Well, yes, I do. IMO, Gorbachev deserves a lot of credit for the end of the cold war as well. While I'm not a fan of Reagan, he was the right leader at the right time in our history to end the cold war and scale back our lose-lose aggressive trajectory with Russia. But I don't believe he could have done it without Gorbachev, who was also the right leader at the right time in Soviet history to end the cold war.

For the first time, Gorbachev and Reagan put aside their political and philosophical differences for their countries - they both realized the trajectory their countries were on were not sustainable. So they engaged each other directly, with respect (Reagan pretty much gave up the 'evil empire' talk when he began engaging Gorbachev directly), to lead their countries down a different path.

But had another hardliner, instead of the reformer Gorbachev (followed by Yeltsin), been in power in the Soviet Union at that time, the cold war could very well still be going on - or worse.

IMO, Reagan's greatest triumph was not due to his military buildup - that may have set the stage - it was due to his diplomacy. And he shares the credit of the ending of the cold war with Gorbachev - he didn't do it alone.

We live in a safer world because two men realized we simply had to - though for different reasons (for Gorbachev it had little to do with being scared and much more to do with a realization that his country would never advance economically if it continued to spend so much on their military) - and then made it happen.

Edited by idester on 06/29/2013 08:57:51 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 09:12:12 MDT Print View

"Figures..anytime someone has a differing opinion, it is ridiculed by all the Liberals on here."

Unfortunately, Matthew, this happens on multiple sides. It's unfortunate, IMO, that so many folks have to resort to labels and name-calling - respectful discussion never goes on for long (if it even starts that way) in these threads on this and a few other topics. I don't know why people bother starting these threads, I have yet to see one end without it devolving into anger, name calling and nastiness. It's a shame, really.

FWIW, not everyone who believes in reasonable gun legislation is a liberal. Not everyone who believes in god or that America is a great country is a conservative. If we'd stop putting each other in boxes - all of us - we'd have more useful discussions, IMO. And my remarks aren't aimed specifically at you, though I'm responding to your post, they're aimed at most BPL forum posters, including myself.

Edited by idester on 06/29/2013 09:29:44 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 10:59:00 MDT Print View

I must be a genius. Was able to predict the outcome of this thread after reading the very first post.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/29/2013 11:21:23 MDT Print View

I'll bet that leaves you chaffing at the bit for the next prediction opportunity...

John Taylor
(jtaylor) - F

Locale: Shenandoah
Well no, not really on 06/30/2013 18:48:26 MDT Print View

Russia had no choice but to end the Cold War. The USSR was broke, their people wer starving.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Cold War. on 06/30/2013 21:12:57 MDT Print View

"Russia had no choice but to end the Cold War. The USSR was broke, their people wer starving."

Exactly...because all of the USSR's money went into the arms race with the US. They could not possibly compete with the US private sector driving our economy.

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/30/2013 21:14:37 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
move to Chaff on 06/30/2013 21:43:06 MDT Print View

Moderator, move this to Chaff.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Headline: "Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths? on 06/30/2013 21:51:59 MDT Print View

> Could this please be moved to chaff?
Doesn't seem possible at the moment. Don't know why.
(Yes, I know it used to be possible.)

Cheers