Forum Index » GEAR » imogene 3 golite tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
imogene 3 golite tent on 04/21/2013 06:09:35 MDT Print View

anybody with actual outdoor experience with this tent? We put ours up in the living room and it seems really nice, excellent space for weight. Roomy enough to make me wonder about squeezing into the 2 person version but we enjoy the extra space. Just one upper vent, one concern.
Sam.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
looking for feedback on 04/30/2013 11:38:53 MDT Print View

I echo Sam's request. I'd love to hear from folks that have actually used the Golite Imogene UL 3. Sam, could you load up some pictures of it setup? I haven't placed my order yet, but plan to as soon as they're available again. Unless I hear some negative feedback before then. Thanks.

Sam Sockwell
(sockwellsam) - MLife
update on 05/06/2013 10:19:58 MDT Print View

Alex- sorry not to write back sooner. just set it up in the living room. A lot to like about it but just felt uncertain, so back it went. Cannot say why exactly, maybe just not ready yet to put away current Copper spur UL3 which is admittedly too big and heavy but it is a wonderful tent that shares a lot of excellent trail memories.

Sam

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - M

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Just Ordered One on 05/06/2013 10:41:59 MDT Print View

I took the plunge and ordered one yesterday with the 20% off coupon. I slept in a 52" wide 2-person tent (High Peak Jasperlite) on a one-night trip out of Leavitt Meadows with my 15 year old son last weekend. It worked, and I liked having two entries/vestibules, but I really want some more room to sleep for 2. With the Imogene UL3 I am picking up 3 inches in length, 14 inches in width at the head end, and 8 inches in width at the foot end but losing an entry/vestibule. The weight of the Imogene is a bit less as well. I did read one concern about condensation in this tent (from a review on Amazon, I think), but my trips are limited to the Sierras, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I will try and post some pics and reports after it arrives.

Megan P
(meganpetruccelli) - F

Locale: San Francisco
CUrious on 05/23/2013 12:26:50 MDT Print View

Hey Paul,

I'm interested in how that tent does. I also camp almost solely in the sierras. Looking for a bigger LIGHTER 2 person + dog tent. I have a quarter down now that weight 5 lbs 8 oz. It's heavy. Looking to upgrade to something lighter.

Will you post about it when you use it? And or set it up? Pretty Please :-)

I'd love to see photos if you have them too.

THANKS!!!
Megan

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: CUrious on 07/17/2013 13:17:47 MDT Print View

also curious. anyone have any real field use with an imogene 3?

Megan P
(meganpetruccelli) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Curious 2 on 07/17/2013 13:52:26 MDT Print View

Ya I would love someone's opinion on it, as well. Also would love to see some photos of it in use.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
I've only used it once so far on 07/17/2013 16:55:24 MDT Print View

I've only used it on one, 2-night, trip with my family (wife and toddler son) so far and don't really have much to say since the conditions were calm, well except for the mosquitoes! I'm kind of luke warm about it. Nothing too exciting and no glaring cons-yet. For its weight, it's a good size tent for my family and I got a really good price on it from Golite. The floor fabric is thin, especially when pinned between Sierra granite and the wrath of my toddler, but so far no problems (polycryo groundsheet used). The front entry could be a tad taller, but it's doable. Overall, I think it strikes a good balance between the weight, design, and features.

Part of me wants to use a mid (e.g. Black Diamond Megalight w/inner) for the family for the simplicity, but It's hard to find a large mid, pole, and inner for under 3 lbs at $200.

I'll try to post an update after more use.

Edited by FeetFirst on 07/17/2013 16:57:11 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
tent on 07/17/2013 17:52:02 MDT Print View

I ordered one and sent it back, never set it up.

The difficulty I had in getting the thing back into a stuff sack (slippery) convinced me that scouts would not be able to do so in the field.

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - M

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Some experience on 07/17/2013 19:04:00 MDT Print View

I have used mine 3 or 4 times with my adult size son. Pros include plenty of room for two inside (66" at head and 60" at feet), steep walls, light weight for the size, and a nice airy feeling for stargazing when you don't need the rainfly on. Cons include somewhat annoying setup with the connected pole system, a significantly challenging setup for attaching the rainfly, and a fly that makes the tent feel a bit claustrophobic because it comes nearly all the way to the ground on all sides (good for storm worthiness, I suppose). Overall I am pretty satisfied, although if I had to do it again I would get a Rainshadow 2.