Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » day hike pack list

Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: day hike pack list on 04/21/2013 15:44:27 MDT Print View

"Let's think about trail runners. They cover more distance and are more likely to get injured. I bet most of them are not carrying all this stuff!"

I know that I trail run 5 days a week, typically 8-13 miles per day. I usually go out before breakfast. I take a car key and a Road ID on a chain around my neck. I don't usually take food, water, or extra clothing. If I go later in the day and it is extremely hot I take water.

I figure that I have spent much of my spare time in the woods hiking, running, hunting, fishing, camping, canoeing, kayaking, snowshoeing, mountain biking, and what not for the last 55 years or so and have managed fine, so I must be doing something right.

I do carry a bit more on hikes than runs, but still carry very little.

Don Morris
(hikermor) - F
day hike pak list on 04/23/2013 20:47:39 MDT Print View

I would agree with an earlier post - ditch the snake bite kit. Are you serious about an 11:30AM start? That's way too late - get another group..

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: day hike pack list on 04/23/2013 21:36:43 MDT Print View

"....it's not really winter anymore"

Now hang on there just a minute :)

In the last 48 hours we got 6" snow about where the PCT crosses I-90 (Snoqualmie Pass). That kind of "it's not really winter anymore" thinking is where people get hypothermia. How about a couple hours of 33F rain and no sun? Micro-climates can get you too-- move 5 miles over the right (or wrong) pass and you can have a whole different misadventure! That's why my list is so detailed.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
IAD on 04/23/2013 22:00:25 MDT Print View

How about IAD? (It all Depends?)

I'be been known to pack in a Coleman two burner stove, sausages and beer for a full moon October-fest themed hike...
but that may be overkill for the 3.5 mile hike on well populated trail for normal people. :)

For a short hike on a well populated trail, esp one I know well, a day pack with water, snacks, and a light jacket is about all I take. If I am feeling esp saucy, I may even hike in comfy cotton cargo shorts! :D

For more ambitious hikes
, often off trail and above tree lino, esp solo, the kit is not far removed from my backpacking kit: Warm hat, gloves, shell mitts, etc. etc. etc. Just no shelter and no sleeping bag.

SOOOO..if I am hiking the Mummy Range by myself, you better believe I am prepared. If I am taking a stroll to the Royal Arch in town (3 miles r/t), I am more likely to pack a little libation rather than the ten essentials. :)

I threw together this basic list a few years back for general mountain hiking. More than foothills, on trail and in three-season Colorado weather when the weather forecast looks good:
http://www.pmags.com/day-hiking-in-colorado

Modify it as appropriate.

Typical for me, it does not list specific gear, but rather *type* of gear.
Conservative, but people new to the outdoors tend to like/need basic, solid advice.

Edited by PaulMags on 04/23/2013 22:08:51 MDT.