Forum Index » GEAR » Zpacks Twin Quilt first impressions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Sleeping Bag Thread on 04/21/2013 16:42:32 MDT Print View

Can't argue with that kind of customer service or his willingness to modify/improve a design based on customer feedback. Kudos to Joe and Zpacks.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
thread thread on 04/21/2013 19:44:39 MDT Print View

Just compared a ZPacks 20 deg quilt with a quilt from another cottage quilt maker, and the thread in the zpacks quilt that attaches the baffles to the liner does seem to be larger (maybe that works better with the cuben fiber baffles), but that doesn't translate into any greater feeling of roughness.

Looking at your photo, it does look as if the thread stands prouder of the liner fabric than it does in mine, which would be consistent with a lower thread tension in the sewing machine. This is something you'd probably want to have fixed, even if it didn't feel uncomfortable, because it seems as if the connection between the baffles and the liner might "loosen" over time.

Michael K
(chinookhead) - F - M
Joseph on 04/21/2013 20:10:24 MDT Print View

The customer service and honesty (admitting to a possible mistake and being open to adjustments) makes this company sound like a "class act".

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
How's the new quilt? on 09/27/2013 23:12:29 MDT Print View

Colin,
I'm curious to know how the new quilt that Joe made you turned out? Has the new thread made a difference?

Brian Mix
(Aggro) - M

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada
thrread on 09/28/2013 21:11:55 MDT Print View

The thread on my Zpacks sleeping bag is thicker and stiffer than my Western Mountaineering bag and I mentioned it in an email to Joe. In practice, I sleep in a silk liner and can't feel the stiffer thread so for me it turned out to not be an issue.