Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
need pit zips installed
Display Avatars Sort By:
victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Locale: white mountains
need pit zips installed on 04/19/2013 19:48:59 MDT Print View

Hello,
I recently purchased a Rab kinetic jacket made from Pertex Shield+ 2.5L fabric and I would like to add pit zips to it. Does anyone know who I can contact to help with this mod?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: need pit zips installed on 04/19/2013 20:16:11 MDT Print View

Victor,

Not sure from your post if you want "help" or someone to do it for you.

If you want to do it yourself then check out what Kathleen did years ago...She did a great job and made it look easy:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27921

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

no can do on 04/19/2013 20:28:49 MDT Print View

Looks easy. But I'm willing to pay someone to mod my jacket

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Adding pit zips on 04/19/2013 22:35:44 MDT Print View

Not cheap, but http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com specializes in modifications to outdoor gear.

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

wow on 04/20/2013 06:02:18 MDT Print View

Wow looking at the price list it sounds like it might be more cost effective to just buy a new jacket with pit zips. Thanks for the info

David Scheidt
(dscheidt) - F
Re: wow on 04/20/2013 11:44:24 MDT Print View

Doing things right at the design stage is always easier than doing them afterwards. Buying a jacket with pit zips and selling (or returning, if you haven't worn it) the one you've got would probably be the easiest, and might be cheapest.

I've seen some of the repair work Penny (Specialty Outdoors) has done. I have no doubt that a pit zip she added would look like it was supposed to be there. Doing it the way that's mentioned in the other thread will work just fine on coated fabric, and is not that hard. Probably would be a good idea to practice, if you're not an experienced sewer. You might also get a dry cleaner to do it. They're unlikely to have a waterproof zip or seal seal tape, though.