Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » 20L myog sling pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
20L myog sling pack on 04/19/2013 18:27:08 MDT Print View

i started with a list of attributes that i wanted to incorporate.
1. Symmetrical sling design with waist band that can be worn on either shoulder.
2. One piece body
3. Hammock-inspired shoulder strap made of flexible material with no padding.
4. No hardware other than a two way zipper and one s-biner
5. 20L capacity
6. Looks damn good

I first calculated the dimensions of of a conical section that would equal 20l and fit nicely across my back. Then i cut the single piece out of plastic and taped it together. When i got what i wanted, i took the tape off and traced it on a piece of cheap ripstop from Joannes. The only purchased materials were the ripstop and the zipper. The shoulder strap was made out of a pair of polyester slacks, and the rest was found or salvaged from other junk. This is how it looks.

The shoulder strap is incredibly comfortable with my sleeping bag and a jug of water in the pack. The pack hugs my back perfectly, and the paracord waistband gently holds it in place. The pack is ambidextrous and works just as well on either side and is effortless to convert.
This is just a prototype. The real deal will be made of 1oz cuben, with bunched parachute nylon shoulder strap. The rings around the top and the bottom will be daisy chains made of 1/2" webbing. 3d mesh back and a single piece of 1/4" CCF that reinforces the top, bottom and back of the pack to add structure when it is not so full.
For now i am very pleased with the prototype. The fit and function is exactly what i had in mind, and it cost me 11 dollars to make it. I would guess the weight is about 7oz, and mostly because of the heavy webbing i used (5000lb tow strap around the top lol). The goal for the finished product is 3oz.

Edited by puckem on 04/19/2013 18:29:00 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: 20L myog sling pack on 04/19/2013 19:03:51 MDT Print View

Stefan,

I've always been intrigued by sling-style packs but have never tried one. Thom Darrah's Bandoleer was the first one that got me thinking about them.

I must say that your customized design is really, really cool. I like the way you've made it "your own". The CCF "structure" is a good idea, too - I bet you could use 1/8" CCF and get the same results as the prototype, at less weight. The main benefit to the thinner CCF would be the slightly less volume it eats up, though.

The more I look, the more I like: the W-I-D-E shoulder strap and panel-loading design are icing on the cake!! Please show us the "Production Model" when complete, as well :)

Todd

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
myog Sling Pack on 04/19/2013 22:01:47 MDT Print View

Stefan,
Nice work!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: myog Sling Pack on 04/20/2013 02:48:25 MDT Print View

Cool design! I wonder if you could make one out of a pant leg that way. You could incorporate the ankle zipper too. Use a pair of thrift store rain pants and you could have a water resistant pack.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Re: myog Sling Pack on 04/20/2013 16:24:58 MDT Print View

Whoa, i had never seen the bandoleer before. That is badass. I feel like im showing off a tattoo to somebody who has the same one, only much much better. Great minds think differently, eh?

I need to test this model for a while and get much better on the sewing machine before i tackle cuben. Cant wait. Hey are there any videos of the bandoleer in action online somewhere?

J P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Very nice! on 04/22/2013 17:10:43 MDT Print View

I hadn't seen anything like this in years and by pure coincidence I hopped on the bikepacking forums here and by visiting a new (to me) cottage shop's site I came across this which could be very helpful:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/bandoleer.html