Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
Continental Divide
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Smith
(dksmithfamly) - F

Locale: South Texas
Continental Divide on 05/07/2007 12:20:54 MDT Print View

BPL friends,

I'm plannig a trip to the Continental Divide this summer. We're looking to hike from Wolf Creek Pass to Stony Pass (near Silverton). I've read that there are places where the CDT is tough to follow, so I'm considering taking USGS quads in addition to amap for the whole area. I'm wondering if the dark line marked Continental Divide on the quad maps is denoting the Continental Divide OR the Continental Divide Trail. Follow up - If the USGS quads are actually showing the Continental Divide, what is the best map (or series of maps) for following the CDT through the Weminuches.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Smith

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Continental Divide on 05/07/2007 14:14:56 MDT Print View

The darkline marked on the map is the Continential Divide. The maps mostly predate the Continentail Divide Trail(s) by decades. The Continential Divide Trail Society and the Continental Divide Trail Alliance have separate routes.

The Colorado Trail has a recent reroute called the Cataract Ridge in the area. The CT would not be marked on any quad.

Consider that the description for CO Segment 17 does not agree with the trail description.

Be careful. That area is one of the few places in the lower 48 that it is possible to be more than 10 miles from a road.

Anitra Kass
(Anitraten) - F

Locale: SoCal
CDT on 05/07/2007 15:08:31 MDT Print View

CDT hikers frequently use Jonathon Ley's maps. You are not able to purchase them in a store but go to his website and you can get a CD with the info on it and print your own maps. http://www.phlumf.com/cdt/cdtmaps.htm
(sorry I don't know how to hyperlink anything). His maps have been helpful for many hikers.
NITRO