Forum Index » GEAR » Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Does anyone still use tyvek as ground cloth? on 04/19/2013 16:48:34 MDT Print View

Tyvek-014
I no longer use Tyvek-I did in the past. I have been using the MLD Clear Mylar since 2011. Significant wait savings and the material is just tough enough. I really like the see through aspect because you pick and preen the objects from underneath your ground cloth. I have a piece cut for a YAMA 1.25 bug shelter and it ways 1.5oz!

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth? on 04/19/2013 17:50:00 MDT Print View

I use the indoor window wrap. The outdoor wrap is about 50% heavier—though tougher. And I cut it big and let it shrink in the sun before I go out and use it. And March and April is when I find it on sale.
I do wish Tyvek was as light as polycro. Polycro is always wet on the underside in the morning and takes a while to dry. So I usually continue drying it at rest stops. Since it is damp, it holds a little more dirt and twigs so it’s harder to shake off. This is where tyvek is nice. But the weight and pack size of polycro keeps me using it. And I’m glad it’s tough stuff.

-Barry
-The Rockies and IL bogs were made for Tevas

Rodney Mruk
(rodney_mruk) - M

Locale: Northeast Oregon
Spinnaker Ground Cloth on 04/19/2013 18:25:20 MDT Print View

Several years ago I bought a Gossamer Spinnaker Ground Cloth - 30" X 84"' @ 2.0 oz

I have used it exclusively for at least 100 nights and it is still going strong. There are no punctures or tears. It is 100% waterproof. I do not remember what it cost but it was about double or triple the polycro. I suspect I will easily get another 100 nights with it. So when it comes to sustainability it is far superior to polycro. Apparently Gossamer Gear didn't sell many because they no longer offer it. Too bad. It is a great piece of gear.

Rodney M

Mark Ferwerda
(mnferwerda) - MLife

Locale: Maryland
Re - Spinnaker ground cloth on 04/19/2013 19:39:24 MDT Print View

I really like the spinnaker ground cloth also, but after a couple of season (@ 50 nights for me) it is no longer waterproof.
Mark

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth? on 04/19/2013 21:48:14 MDT Print View

I usually use Tyvek, although I decided to use use a 24x72inch piece of Reflectix the other weekend on the AT. I really enjoyed this, especially considering my only choice was to sleep over top of briars blended with some furry looking (poison ivy flavored) roots. It was a great supplement to a NeoAir.

Since I have several rolls of leftover Reflectix in my basement from a remodeling project, I have decided to other uses of the stuff. I now think ill cut pieces to fit all the undersides of my tents. When I car camp with the family, I've been bringing a stack of kiddie snap together foam pads to use under the tents. It has been a wonderful form of both protection (for the tent and my knees), as well as great insulation. It is rather bulky and cumbersome, so I think the Reflectix will be an improvement.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
A Different Use on 04/20/2013 06:54:21 MDT Print View

In the winter, I use a sheet of kitemaking Tyvek off of Amazon for windproofing in my hammock. Works great!

Betsy Frazier
(DustyDeva) - F

Locale: Columbia River Gorge
Polycro on 04/20/2013 12:47:37 MDT Print View

I tried using Tyvek under my Squall 2 a few years ago and discovered how big and bulky it was. Switched to the indoor window insulation for all my shelters and love it. So much lighter and packs down small. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Haven't had to replace any pieces yet, but if one piece does get a hole in it, it is easy and cheap to replace it.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
1025D tyvek - 2.4oz on 04/21/2013 11:00:17 MDT Print View

I still use Tyvek as a ground cloth most nights. It's a 30"x84" piece of 1025D Tyvek that Lawson used to sell. Comes in at 2.4oz and is pretty durable with not much of a weight penalty over polycro.

Ryan

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: polycryo on 04/22/2013 10:19:22 MDT Print View

"I read about how non water resistant it is, particularly the lighter variant, is that 1433?, which you can quite literally see light through the holes if I remember right"

You clearly havent used tyvek 1443r. It is plenty water proof. especially if just being used as a ground cloth.

"1.5 oz for polycryo, 5.5 for tyvek regular housewrap, you're right, not quite 4x heavier, only 3.6x?."

Tyvek 1443r would not weigh 5.5 If it did you would have 13.2 square feet. So is that the size you are comparing? Again tyvek 1443r weighs 1.25 oz per sq/yd

I think if we are going to compare something we should be more specific. Apparently this thread is only referring to "Homewrap tyvek" not tyvek as a whole.

Lol I dont even use a ground sheet so mine is lighter than your polycro.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth? on 04/22/2013 10:40:38 MDT Print View

I haven't used it in many years. It is shrink wrap/polycro for me. You would think it would be fragile but that isn't the case at all, it has some flex and is hard to puncture. Painters plastic however, at least the thin and light stuff, is garbage. It does not last.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth? on 04/22/2013 10:55:16 MDT Print View

I stopped using ground cloths a few years ago.