Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Walton
(Backcountryasm) - M

Locale: south
SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 09:48:53 MDT Print View

My Tent arrived last week and am setting up to seam seal this weekend. A couple of questions if I may?

1. Henry advises using silicone 1 thinned down; is this better/worse than using silnet seam sealer? Aplplication, longevity, shininess etc....
2. I have seen vids of people using their fingers,, brushes, towels etc. none of this seems to provide a PROFESSIONAL LOOKING JOB. any advice? (I am builder and am a stickler for neatness and appearance).
3. Should I apply one heavy coat or two light coats?
4. Any special areas, prone areas to pay special attention to on the SS1?

And finally any additonal advice for things I have not thought of?

Thanks in advance for all OPINIONS!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 10:04:47 MDT Print View

I am sealing a shelter this weekend. Many on BPL reccommend Permatex Flowable Silicone for windshields; not sure of the exact name. Bought a tube at the auto parts store. Do a BPL search for Permatex and there are several threads. This should be easier to apply and seal better.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 11:11:28 MDT Print View

Use masking tape to make neat edge? Definitely OCD

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 11:27:07 MDT Print View

I've followed Henry's instructions had very nice, neat results and my hand writing is terrible, use the foam brush. Doesn't take a smearing technique like Seam sealer seems to get applied. No leaks on my Squall after almost 8 years now, you can hardly see the sealant. Use fresh silicone and proper paint thinner, that thicker thinner is for the birds. When dried, does not stick to itself like seam sealer, which also seems to have a limited adhesion life after being stuffed "X" amount of times I've noticed on my BD Hilight or it may just be the BD material.
Duane

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 11:28:28 MDT Print View

Two words: Foam brush.

We follow up with a paper towel.

http://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html#seamseal

-H

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 13:06:29 MDT Print View

I've used Henry's method as well as the Permatex stuff. The seams on my Rainbow (sealed Henry style), are watertight and the silicone isn't visible except upon very close inspection. The seams on my Duomid (sealed with flowable Permatex) are very excellently sealed, but the appearance is somewhat messy, despite the very thin coating.

I've found a cheap paint brush worked better than the foam brush. I felt like the bristles helped get the silicone into the seams better. Either will work just fine though, especially because the seams on an SS1 are felled and aren't difficult to seal.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Seam sealing SS1 on 04/19/2013 16:05:18 MDT Print View

I am waiting on a good day (without SNOW!) here so I can seal my new SS2, but I have done four or five TT's of mine and a couple for my BIL and used Henry's method for all of them. I use a foam brush and like to go inside and hit the big seams from below too. I don't know if I need to but since I have it made up why not. I have never had one of mine leak and they have been in some epic rain and even snow storms.

More snow due Sunday...

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 16:11:06 MDT Print View

> Use fresh silicone and proper paint thinner, that thicker thinner is for the birds.
The thinner the basic sealant the better.
I use several thin ones (eg Permatex) without dilution. Works much better.

Cheers

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 16:27:55 MDT Print View

Thanks for the reminder gents as I need to seal my Stratosphire 1, I have it 14 months and have not got around to it yet.
The last tent I sealed was a Scarp 3 years ago and made a dogs dinner of it.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 17:17:02 MDT Print View

Have you used it without sealing? Did it leak?

I never seal a tent and have never noticed any leaking.

Except, for example, where I had a velcro tie-down.

With seams, the water just flows down the seam.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Foam Brush on 04/19/2013 17:24:40 MDT Print View

I have found using a foam brush gives me the best aesthetic results. It is very easy to control the width of application.

I've used both Permatex and thinned down silicone. Personally, I prefer the thinned down silicone for aesthetic reasons, but if I want bomber, Permatex is my sealant of choice.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Re: SEAM SEALING???? Tarp tent SS1 on 04/19/2013 17:54:19 MDT Print View

Hi Jerry,

I have used it for 7 nights so far and it was raining heavily for 2 of them, I did notice a few drips but could of been condensation.
I have 3 other shelters I use so don't use the Ss1 often.

Cheers,

Stephen

Rodney Mruk
(rodney_mruk) - M

Locale: Northeast Oregon
Seam Sealing on 04/19/2013 19:09:57 MDT Print View

I like to use silicone not only on the main seams but also the stitching at anchor points and guy line points. This is especially true with Silnylon since it stretches under pressure and when wet. The sealing of the tie down points etc will strengthen these points.

But most importantly, have fun!

Rodney M

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Seam Sealing on 04/19/2013 21:40:49 MDT Print View

Before I sealed my Rainbow, I was in some prolonged rain that leaked through a couple of seams I didn't pay enough attention to on the first round. It was definitely leakage, not condensation, because the other seams were fine, and I could see the water running down the fabric from the poorly done section.